Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Taree, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have verified information of a Tesla supercharger being vandalised anywhere in Australia?

I know some NRMA chargers have been vandalised. I saw the vandalised NRMA Walgett charger with my own eyes, although it still worked.
Not that I'm aware of..
The other EV charger vandalism has been mostly smashed screens and plugs.

V2/V3 superchargers had the advantage of no screen and a plug that could barely reach the floor. V4s a little different, though the screen is still pretty small.

Fully striped copper cable is typically just over $10/kg and it's fair bit of effort to get it to that point..you'd probably make more return from stealing the contents of a coke machine.

Now I didn't mention in my haste the other day the Gosling site manager mentioned he was worried about future vandalism at the Taree site.
As soon as I heard about the site this was my first thought. I'm originally from the Ree and most of the town are EV haters, my family ask me every day if my garage has burnt down yet :rolleyes: if the community fb is anything to go by these superchargers are in for a real test. I would 1: Not leave my car there alone and 2:Not charge there at night. In other news I believe it may be open? My friend sent me a video of a 3 in a stall earlier this evening.

As soon as I heard about the site this was my first thought. I'm originally from the Ree and most of the town are EV haters, my family ask me every day if my garage has burnt down yet :rolleyes: if the community fb is anything to go by these superchargers are in for a real test. I would 1: Not leave my car there alone and 2:Not charge there at night. In other news I believe it may be open? My friend sent me a video of a 3 in a stall earlier this evening.
Hey, the Superchargers are surviving OK in Moe...

Reactions: Jules22 and Vostok
I'm originally from the Ree and most of the town are EV haters, my family ask me every day if my garage has burnt down yet :rolleyes:

When I first drove to Taree in my Model 3 in early 2020, I did not see another EV either in town or in the region the whole time I was there.

Now I see a few other Teslas there, nowhere near as many as in Sydney of course, but EVs are no longer a complete mystery in the area. I have parked my car in the main street and in the shopping centre car park for extended periods with no issues… so far.

NSW registration dashboard says as at 31 May 2024, there are 258 battery electric vehicles registered in the MidCoast LGA (in which Taree is the largest town).

As soon as I heard about the site this was my first thought. I'm originally from the Ree and most of the town are EV haters,
Ok, not sure I would say "most of the town are EV haters" but I know what you mean I think. I have spent time over many years now, since early 2014 when I bought my first PHEV, trying to show locals friends, relations and others I meet to try and not be scared of the change to a PHEV or a BEV or even a non Plugin Hybrid like a Prius that I bought my wife in 2009 from memory. These days even up here "in the bush" there are plenty of people using Camry Hybrids for example or PHEVs or a few BEVs like Teslas.

Change is "scary" to some IMO. We can call them backwards, haters etc but I try to show others by letting them drive my cars, see my costs to run as a BEV or a PHEV, show them facts about fires etc to ease their fear of change. I like to think I have helped when I now see friends, or friends of friends etc, now in PHEVs or BEVs or even just a plain old "Camry Hybrid".
if the community fb is anything to go by these superchargers are in for a real test.
Yea like I said how my wife showed me on FB it's something people are talking about up here.

In other news I believe it may be open? My friend sent me a video of a 3 in a stall earlier this evening.
I went past this morning on the way to a job and stopped and spoke to both the Tesla technicians on site and they don't expect it will open till late this week or early next week. They have a Tesla plus a ute on site with them.

The Tesla site manager told me he is also worried about vandalism at the Taree site.

The council chambers in Taree South (the old Masters hardware site) has two free 11kW chargers that I frequent and I have never encountered any issues with vandalism in that time. I've had a few conversations with council staff in passing about EV's and Tesla. Being in such a secluded location it would be easy to do damage. It's a BYO cable setup though so not much to steal.

I went past this morning on the way to a job and stopped and spoke to both the Tesla technicians on site and they don't expect it will open till late this week or early next week. They have a Tesla plus a ute on site with them.
Already reporting as open,
1000003439.png

Must have made faster progress than anticipated.

Already reporting as open,
Must have made faster progress than anticipated.
Ok, well done by those Technicians. Maybe they were doing what I do in my own business ie be pessimistic in your schedules for commissioning to allow for unforeseen circumstances and hopefully please clients by beating those schedules.

Pity their "big boss" doesn't do the same IMO. ;)

Does the font look different?

The Tesla “font” used to be Gotham across all of their operations - the website, publications (manuals etc) and in the vehicle UI.

I forget exactly when it changed in the UI to Universal Sans, but it was with the major SW update a couple of years ago that pretty comprehensively changed the entire UI (and that I avoided for a long time until the bugs were ironed out 😉).

But Gotham remained in use on the website until recently it seems. Last time I checked about a month ago it was still that, but now I see they have finally updated the website, too, to be Universal Sans.

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq and moa999
On the way home from a job around the Gloucester area the other day I stopped back in on the Taree site.. Now this would have been around 5.30pm from memory so I was surprised when the Tesla technician with the Model Y was still there.

Anyway, he was basically finishing up for the day but he still had the Tesla logo lights turned on, on the dispensers, to be later turned off ie site shut down.

He and I took photos but I hope his turned out better than mine. But hey, I had a long day at work and I was tired is my excuse. 😁

1718842167084.jpeg

Reactions: dronus