Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - The Dalles, OR (LIVE Aug 2014, 5 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with a supercharger tech at a California supercharger back in 2016. He said Tesla was moving him to Vancouver, WA in a couple of months. The NW supercharger techs are now based out of Vancouver.

In any case it sounds like the supercharger is having problems. The Dalles has been a chokepoint for some time. That route needs another, larger SC ASAP.

Supercharging is great when it works, which is almost all the time now, but when it fails, it's a nightmare.

You can stop and restart a charge from either the touchscreen or the app. Not that it's likely to help your charging situation, but it's a little easier than going out and unplugging and plugging back in while everyone in line is staring at you :) I have had a couple situations where this actually worked, but those situations seem like they are a little different than yours. In my case, the power would ramp up to like 80kW and then go up and down wildly before dropping to 0. But each time it did it, it would add like 10-20 miles, so I just sat in the car and kept re-initiating charges until I had enough to limp to the next supercharger.

Hopefully Tesla sends someone out from Portland to work on it, because it's only going to get hotter in the Dalles the next few days. In fact, the all-time hottest temperature in the history of the state of Oregon could be set there, or perhaps some place further east near Hermiston or Umatilla. Current record is 117F.
Unfortunately no. It would stay at “Ready to charge” with no option of starting from the screen. Everyone kept popping in and out of their cars so I walked to the line of cars waiting on the Ash St to let them know what was up. Some had plenty of charge so out of line. Others were like me who came from Yakima from a big tennis tourney and needed to charge to make it home.
The new Yakima SC was awesome. I actually saw my all time highest rate of 127kW for a few seconds (6% SoC) before it tapered down.

I ended up leaving The Dalles with 55% factoring in running the AC etc. and projected to make it home “just barely”, but bad luck strikes again. Major accident on I84 around Cascade Locks. 1-2hr delay. I crept over to Bridge of the Gods and took SR14 and just arrived at the ‘Couv Mall chargers with 12%. Never would have made it sitting on I84 with the AC on as the fans kick into super high gear due to being stationary and getting zero cooling. Time to unplug and truly head home to PDX.

We need Hood River to truly get going/permitted!
Interesting tidbit about the V3 chargers - the ones in Yakima were “silent” even though it was 105degs and I was pulling max power. The ones at the Vancouver Mall were whirring up a a storm. Not the transformers, but the actual stalls. Never heard the fans/pumps kick in before.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
We need Hood River to truly get going/permitted!
Interesting tidbit about the V3 chargers - the ones in Yakima were “silent” even though it was 105degs and I was pulling max power. The ones at the Vancouver Mall were whirring up a a storm. Not the transformers, but the actual stalls. Never heard the fans/pumps kick in before.
V3 is liquid cooled and others are air cooled, right? Could just be that V3 has quiet pumps compared to fans…

How have things been at The Dalles? We're planning a trip through there tomorrow, arriving around 11:30 or so (going from Moses Lake to Eugene). I'm hoping for at least 35kW at first, ramping up as the charge rate on vehicle sharing our stall starts to taper off. If The Dalles has been doing worse than that, or if I can expect a long wait to even get a stall, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and go through Seattle (50 miles longer route, but more charging options).

How have things been at The Dalles? We're planning a trip through there tomorrow, arriving around 11:30 or so (going from Moses Lake to Eugene). I'm hoping for at least 35kW at first, ramping up as the charge rate on vehicle sharing our stall starts to taper off. If The Dalles has been doing worse than that, or if I can expect a long wait to even get a stall, then maybe I'll bite the bullet and go through Seattle (50 miles longer route, but more charging options).
Honestly there’s a good chance you’ll have to wait. When I arrived around noon on a Thursday per my posts above, I got the fourth spot. Coming back on a Sunday, I was third in line. It grew to six cars even after I got a spot.
So it all depends on whether you want to roll the dice. My trip was PDX to Yakima so I had no choice.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
There's no reason to go into Seattle proper. Charge in North Bend and then head SW on Highway 18.

Could stopping in Yakima be an option? Could you make it then to Vancouver or Hillsboro supercharger? Not sure time wise what would be better since you probably would have to charge to 90% in Yakima…. But ABetterRoutePlanner is suggesting my LR Model Y should be able to do 90% down to 10% to the Hillsboro charger with about 296 Wh/mi average. Probably going 5 under the limit might give you a little extra breathing room if you’re getting worried… and Dalles could always be an emergency option if things just really looked like they were going south (say 30 mph headwinds or something) or an opportunity to top up as you go by if the Nav shows it available…

ABRP is suggesting about 33 minutes in Yakima if you had started your trip at 90% (based on my Model Y and ~300 Wh/mi)

There's no reason to go into Seattle proper. Charge in North Bend and then head SW on Highway 18.

I used to live near SR 18 and it was a good way to bypass Seattle traffic.

Could stopping in Yakima be an option? Could you make it then to Vancouver or Hillsboro supercharger? Not sure time wise what would be better since you probably would have to charge to 90% in Yakima…. But ABetterRoutePlanner is suggesting my LR Model Y should be able to do 90% down to 10% to the Hillsboro charger with about 296 Wh/mi average. Probably going 5 under the limit might give you a little extra breathing room if you’re getting worried… and Dalles could always be an emergency option if things just really looked like they were going south (say 30 mph headwinds or something) or an opportunity to top up as you go by if the Nav shows it available…

ABRP is suggesting about 33 minutes in Yakima if you had started your trip at 90% (based on my Model Y and ~300 Wh/mi)

If you have to go that route and take a detour for a supercharger, Sandy is probably the best option. It's a 13 mile detour from Troutdale, but the Vancouver SC closest to the river is at the Vancouver Mall (urban SC) and it's a 10 mile detour north. US 26 from Sandy angles to the NW and you can take US 26 and join I-205 at Powell Blvd cutting a corner off the route. Another option from Sandy going south is to go through Boring and Damascus to pick up I-205 even further south in Clackamas. That might even be faster than US 26.

The Sandy SC is enough out of the way and has 8 stalls so there should be no waiting.

Yeah, Yakima is certainly an option. But given the 8% battery degradation in my Model 3 LR AWD (with the original, slightly smaller battery pack) and replacement tires that seems to have cost another 3-4% range, I'm not convinced Yakima to Hillsboro is realistic, unless I plan to cruise painfully slow, or do a very slow top up to well above 90% at Yakima. We'd also be in Yakima before Bob's Burgers opened, which means bathroom facilities are a question mark.

Definitely try to get an earlier start. If you can arrive before 11am you will have a better chance. Sunday will definitely be busy because everyone seems to travel on Sundays. Google maps shows about 3.5 hr, add some time at the Kennewick SC for coffee. Leave before 6am and you should get there by 10am. We used to pack the night before, throw the kids in around 4am and let them sleep until the first stop. Also, take 730 at Umatilla through Irrigon saves a good 5% over the interstate, so you can leave Kennewick with less charge.

Finally, since I hate big city traffic, I’ve taken the scenic forest route to Sandy (take NE Corbett Hill Rd about 5mi before Troutdale, then go through Aims) and it’s very pleasant, though slower and lots of curves. You come right into Sandy from the country, not realizing how much Portland suburbia has grown out to the Mountains. Then, take 211 through Estacada and Mollala, then 213 through Silverton to Salem. Did I tell you how much I hate Portland traffic? ;)

Edit: Going through Portland to charge in Hillsboro is just crazy.
…..I'm not convinced Yakima to Hillsboro is realistic…..

Last edited by a moderator:
Kennewick to Sandy is 209 miles (204 if you go through Irrigon which seems like a good idea). I would top off enough in Kennewick and drive slowly enough that you can make it to Sandy if the Dalles proves to be a mess. The Dalles supercharger is not a significant diversion so definitely stop in and try to charge there regardless what the Nav says. The new wait time feature is incredibly unreliable and even the occupancy feature is still not accurate at times, so you might as well take a look for yourself when the supercharger is right off the highway like it is in the Dalles.

Also, by driving conservatively, if you end up getting a slow charge rate at the Dalles, it won't take you too long to get enough juice to continue the drive to Woodburn, skipping the Sandy detour.

Lastly, I agree with ReddyLeaf that Hillsboro doesn't make any sense at all.

Last edited: