Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is seeing it the same as a trip on dino-juice. Plan 2 days each way. Drive to Calgary. Stop in small towns you’ve never been to and talk to the locals there for a couple of hours. And arrive empty.
That was my experience on a day drive between Winnipeg and Regina last winter. When a 3-hour charge is the only option, pass the time chatting to local
residents and seeing the local attractions. It’s a different way to road-trip and a nice one every once in a while. On the way back from Regina, we stopped in the same restaurant in Whitewood and the owner remembered us and asked all about our trip.

Someday I'll have that sort of free time. Last trip to Calgary (on dino-juice) we left on Friday early, arrived in Calgary, picked up a set of Tesla rims for the snow tires Saturday and did some poking around to see the city sites (in the rain), went out to Banff and Lake Louise on Sunday, then drove home Monday. I don't have time for an 6-hour layover to charge each way, let alone 2 or 3. With a string of superchargers, I can do that with my Model 3. Same with a weekend trip to Minneapolis. Superchargers in Fargo, and maybe Grand Forks and Alexandria, and I won't have to overnight in Fargo each way

Remove these sorts of constraints and even more people will buy EV's. For now, here, it's mainly a commuter car, but I bouht with the anticipation it can do cross country eventually.

From Calgary, I’ve been to Miami Florida. I’ve been to Houston Texas. I’ve been to Winnipeg several times. Edmonton a few times. California. Into B.C.

I didn’t buy a commuter car, nor do I want one. My wife has a dino juicer, we rarely use it. My Tesla is not a commuter car, nor is NavOnAP a commuter feature. Calling it so is ridiculous.

BTW, there’s a Chademo in Fargo. I used it on Christmas Day last year on my way to Chicago (through Winnipeg).

I scoped out all the locations at Polo previously mentioned on Sunday night and didn't see any signs of Supercharger construction, just the fences and supports under the Southeast ramp. Hopefully the "PCL construction manager" wasn't leading us on a wild goose chase! I'll feel better when I see Polo Park look like Brandon, Portage la Prairie, or Prawda! Will scope it out again this weekend!

Here are pics from Sunday night. Anyone spot anything over last 4 days?

Attachments

• 20190727_215853.jpg
    20190727_215853.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 20190727_215524.jpg
    20190727_215524.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20190727_215853.jpg
    20190727_215853.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 20190727_215617.jpg
    20190727_215617.jpg
    383.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20190727_215356.jpg
    20190727_215356.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: XHabjab
I pass by this part of Polo Park daily.
The only activity has been PCL repairing the up ramp which is closed to traffic, and repairs to the upper deck.
There is NO indication at all that a Tesla charging facility is currently being constructed.
It would be responsible of the moderator of this group to change the status from CONSTRUCTION to PERMIT, if in fact a permit has been issued.

Reactions: SammichLover
I don't believe there has even been evidence of a permit for Winnipeg..?? They skipped Regina so maybe they are skipping Winnipeg too? Keeping Superchargers for distance traveling perhaps? Time will tell...
I was going to reply with "you're wrong you're wrong you're wrong" and post a url to the permit, pointing to Polo Park... but now I can't find anything resembling that. Did I just dream that up? I have been of the belief for the last year that the Winnipeg Supercharger was approved for the SouthEast corner of Polo Park mall.

I'm getting old but I don't think I'm senile yet. Can anybody help find this?

Drove by last night and still no signs of Supercharger construction. Glad they revised supercharge.info back to permit stage! Here are some pics of PCL site. One area at Southeast ramp seems to be only ramp activity. Just further north there is a large area fenced off under the ramp but no activity there for now.

Hopefully Polo Park still happens before end of this year!

Attachments

• 20190803_224712.jpg
    20190803_224712.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 20190803_224735.jpg
    20190803_224735.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 20190803_224747.jpg
    20190803_224747.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 20190803_224955.jpg
    20190803_224955.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 102
  • 20190803_224809.jpg
    20190803_224809.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 104
Last time I looked they’re also doing work on the deck above so I assume the fence in the parking area is to avoid break off pieces of concrete hitting things below. (Maybe jackhammer effect from above?) I saw a few chunks the size of golf balls in there.

The grassy area beside the trailer and ramp is still my first guess. Wondering if they want them anywhere near the commercial charge station near the Starbucks entrance. Presumably that’s where power feed is.

Last time I looked they’re also doing work on the deck above so I assume the fence in the parking area is to avoid break off pieces of concrete hitting things below. (Maybe jackhammer effect from above?) I saw a few chunks the size of golf balls in there.

The grassy area beside the trailer and ramp is still my first guess. Wondering if they want them anywhere near the commercial charge station near the Starbucks entrance. Presumably that’s where power feed is.
You mean by the Flo charger? That's a terrible location because it is right by a main entrance and will get ICEd more often than not. Signage will cut back on ICE-ing for one stall. Not for 11.

I agree- too close to an entrance. Where that fence is a more likely location if they are going to go under the upper deck but I think if so - it would be along the perimeter as far as they can get from regular parking. And the fence perimeter doesn’t go to the edge of parking.

I went by the Winnipeg Polo Park site today and there hasn't been any progress, which is what the manager in the construction trailer told me 2 weeks ago would be the case. He said the electric company was scheduled to start their connection this week so maybe there will be something to see tomorrow. As to precise location, the manager said the stalls would be under the space the trailer was taking. They would go from the dumpster on the east end of the small site to where the west end of the trailer is. Sorry, not under the parking ramp. My friend who was with me asked about that ramp and the manager said their operation had no connection with the ramp work.

Although there hasn't been any work, there is more construction machinery there. See photo.
winnipegsuper2019Aug05.jpg

I went by the Winnipeg Polo Park site today and there hasn't been any progress, which is what the manager in the construction trailer told me 2 weeks ago would be the case. He said the electric company was scheduled to start their connection this week so maybe there will be something to see tomorrow. As to precise location, the manager said the stalls would be under the space the trailer was taking. They would go from the dumpster on the east end of the small site to where the west end of the trailer is. Sorry, not under the parking ramp. My friend who was with me asked about that ramp and the manager said their operation had no connection with the ramp work.

Although there hasn't been any work, there is more construction machinery there. See photo.View attachment 438204

Awesome! Hopefully we see some telltale signs of Supercharger construction soon!

I don't think they need platform lifts for supercharger install.

But if they confirm it will be on the grassy knoll right beside the trailer... that was my first guess too. Thanks for the infor - time will tell. (As I've posted before, my theory is they will get all the bases for planned superchargers across the TransCanada ready and then install them in a blitz once they are all done, rather than trickling them out randomly. At that time, watch for some splashy press release announcement. So far, Kenora to Wawa are the missing links.)

I don't think they need platform lifts for supercharger install.

But if they confirm it will be on the grassy knoll right beside the trailer... that was my first guess too. Thanks for the infor - time will tell. (As I've posted before, my theory is they will get all the bases for planned superchargers across the TransCanada ready and then install them in a blitz once they are all done, rather than trickling them out randomly. At that time, watch for some splashy press release announcement. So far, Kenora to Wawa are the missing links.)

Perhaps they will be doing a solar canopy, similar to the Las Vegas setup? That could add a requirement for lifts.

I agree, though, that we don't really know much for certain with this site.