Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winnipeg, MB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No problem. And if you get in a jam, I have an adapter that could be borrowed for an hour or two (provided the 3 uses the same adapter as the S).

Thanks Ledge. Appreciate the thought but should be able to get enough charge at Fort Whyte and we have never been there, so an hour there will be interesting. Also, Monday is supposed to be half way decent as far as temperatures.

The one at Ft Whyte is about the highest power charger in the city but there is really nothing much there. You pretty much need to stay with your car - painful if multiple hours. If you are staying in Winnipeg overnight, the Best Western Headingly is my favorite choice. The charge rate is lower, but you get to sleep in a bed. Pierogies for breakfast on Thursdays. Beware though that there is only one charger (J1772).

Won't be staying the night, but good to know about the Pierogies in case we do spend a night. We usually eat breakfast at the Headingley Grill when we drive in, as it is so goooood!

Will be very glad once Portage and or Winnipeg gets fired up. Actually the whole area.

Reactions: XHabjab
Made it into Winnipeg and back to Brandon. Started out @ 6C and had plenty of range to get back home. Guess I am mostly over my "Range Anxiety". Stopped by the Winnipeg SuC site and not a thing going on there or in Portage. Also, on the way back to Brandon I stopped in at 4 Way Motors in MacGregor so I would know where the charger there was located. Had a nice chat with the owner. 80 Amp Tesla charger there. His X will charge to full in 4-1/2 hours, but my M3 will only take 48 amps. Then I stopped in at the charger in Carberry. A high powered L2 Charger there behind the building. Nice to know both of those locations in case winter takes its toll.

Made it into Winnipeg and back to Brandon. Started out @ 6C and had plenty of range to get back home. Guess I am mostly over my "Range Anxiety". Stopped by the Winnipeg SuC site and not a thing going on there or in Portage. Also, on the way back to Brandon I stopped in at 4 Way Motors in MacGregor so I would know where the charger there was located. Had a nice chat with the owner. 80 Amp Tesla charger there. His X will charge to full in 4-1/2 hours, but my M3 will only take 48 amps. Then I stopped in at the charger in Carberry. A high powered L2 Charger there behind the building. Nice to know both of those locations in case winter takes its toll.

They are closed on Mondays I think, but the rest of the week the Bison Boutique is open across the street from 4 Way Motors and has some excellent lunch options.

A great place to hang out for lunch while waiting for a charge.

If I recall from viewing the site from Portage Ave. driving by... the trailer for the parking structure repair people is still there. Maybe they are waiting for that to move. Last post I saw a few days ago put the digger crew in Maplewood? They are running out of places to dig up, they'll have no choice but to do Winnipeg. Meanwhile if they get Prawda and Portage going, missing Winnipeg won't be such a big deal going Trans-Canada. .

If I recall from viewing the site from Portage Ave. driving by... the trailer for the parking structure repair people is still there. Maybe they are waiting for that to move. Last post I saw a few days ago put the digger crew in Maplewood? They are running out of places to dig up, they'll have no choice but to do Winnipeg. Meanwhile if they get Prawda and Portage going, missing Winnipeg won't be such a big deal going Trans-Canada. .
Checked yesterday the ramp is fully paved and just site cleanup and such needs to be done. Cant see them being in the way if the tesla crew requested space

How very Winnipeg. They picked a good day to start digging...
IMG_4033.jpg
IMG_4034.jpg

Popped by the site yesterday evening and they are making great progress! Looks like they fed the 8 cables from the transformer underground and also ran conduit to each stall so we can see exact location of what currently looks like 8 stalls. Similar setup to other V3 sites under construction so could very well be 6 stalls now with ability to expand to 8 in future.

Attachments

• 20191012_192016.jpg
    20191012_192016.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20191012_192039.jpg
    20191012_192039.jpg
    551.6 KB · Views: 107
  • 20191012_192305.jpg
    20191012_192305.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 20191012_192248.jpg
    20191012_192248.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20191012_192226.jpg
    20191012_192226.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20191012_192207.jpg
    20191012_192207.jpg
    480.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 20191012_192126.jpg
    20191012_192126.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 20191012_191940.jpg
    20191012_191940.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 20191012_191938.jpg
    20191012_191938.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20191012_191849.jpg
    20191012_191849.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 95
Popped by the site yesterday evening and they are making great progress! Looks like they fed the 8 cables from the transformer underground and also ran conduit to each stall so we can see exact location of what currently looks like 8 stalls. Similar setup to other V3 sites under construction so could very well be 6 stalls now with ability to expand to 8 in future.
I keep looking at these conduit groupings and thinking something is off - it doesn't "feel" like a V3 site based on the arrangement and number of conduits. I wonder if it may actually be a V2 site with 8 stalls - compare this site's layout to Woodstock NB which is an 8-stall V2:
img_20190623_093850-jpg.422314

I think we will have a better idea when concrete is poured - if it's 2 large pads then it's likely a V2, if multiple smaller pads then likely V3.

I keep looking at these conduit groupings and thinking something is off - it doesn't "feel" like a V3 site based on the arrangement and number of conduits. I wonder if it may actually be a V2 site with 8 stalls - compare this site's layout to Woodstock NB which is an 8-stall V2:
[pic]
I think we will have a better idea when concrete is poured - if it's 2 large pads then it's likely a V2, if multiple smaller pads then likely V3.
It's very clearly V3. There are only 2 supercharger cabinet positions for 8 stalls (4:1 ratio = V3) and the conduit arrangement matches V3, not V2. I've annotated two of muchski's pictures so you can better see the layout and what I'm talking about.
  • Red -- (2) Supercharger cabinets
  • Green -- (2) Autotransformers
  • Orange -- (1) Switchgear
Winnipeg_annotated 2.jpg

Winnipeg_annotated.jpg

Last edited:
It's very clearly V3. There are only 2 supercharger cabinet positions for 8 stalls (4:1 ratio = V3) and the conduit arrangement matches V3, not V2. I've annotated two of muchski's pictures so you can better see the layout and what I'm talking about.
  • Red -- (2) Supercharger cabinets
  • Green -- (2) Autotransformers
  • Orange -- (1) Switchgear
View attachment 465726
View attachment 465727
That would definitely be the ideal (being a V3) - when I saw four groups of four conduits all apparently in a row in the back, I thought that might be four V2 cabinets with other supporting equipment in front (especially with eight pedestal conduits being laid down immediately as with the new NB Supercharger sites, as opposed to the six pedestal conduits which have been common in other V3 installs)

My first post on here, I was at polo park this afternoon and it looks like the power equipment is there.

So some of the white cabinets have arrived - other posts mentioned that a truck was dropping off this same sort of equipment in Brandon, Portage and Prawda also - so it seems some progress is on the horizon for Manitoba. Unfortunately I don't see the long horizontal crates that would contain the pedestals, so not the complete kit. (Unless they are around the corner).

Some assembly required.