Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woburn, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Woburn Supercharger location appears to have totally dropped off the newly-revised Supercharger map from Tesla. There is now one planned in 2018 for Burlington — the only

Find Us | Tesla

Does anyone know the backstory around dropping Woburn?

I don’t think it was ever on the Tesla map - an inquisitive soul found it in the town planning board minutes. The “coming soon” map doesn’t always show all the sites.

Reactions: chjch and emupilot
I stopped by today to see if there is any progress at the Woburn site. There is a flurry of construction activity on all the lots now, the hotel is framed as well as a new building along Washington St, but I drove slowly along all signs and still saw no signs of any supercharger install or equipment. Still unsure if the SC will be back by the hotel, or forward a bit more by the Chik-Fil-A.
I will continue to stop in once in a while

• Informative
Reactions: emupilot
I stopped by today to see if there is any progress at the Woburn site. There is a flurry of construction activity on all the lots now, the hotel is framed as well as a new building along Washington St, but I drove slowly along all signs and still saw no signs of any supercharger install or equipment. Still unsure if the SC will be back by the hotel, or forward a bit more by the Chik-Fil-A.
I will continue to stop in once in a while

Thanks. This would be a super convenient place to stop for me to stop during my commute (no home charging), so I'm really excited about any SCs north of Boston.

Or just get a L2 charging spot at Logan...
I've always found these to be in use. What would be great would be if they had a much larger section with just 120V access for a trickle charge. If I'm gone for a few days, that should be plenty of time to charge, and hold any vampire drain at bay during the winter. I've been trying to figure out why more garages don't use that approach for long-term parking (employers, hotels, airports, etc.) where just getting 20-30 miles a day is plenty. Maybe there's something I'm missing (very possible) but I feel like that would be solve congestion at places where it's unlikely that you'll actually be able to move your car the minute it's done charging. And it can't be as expensive as installing an L2.

I agree, 200 L1 chargers are better than 10 L2 chargers. What can you do? I've had multiple conversations with MassPort, my wife flies every week. You generally have to get there in the morning to get an L2 charger and later in the week is worse too.

Reactions: AWDtsla
I agree, 200 L1 chargers are better than 10 L2 chargers. What can you do? I've had multiple conversations with MassPort, my wife flies every week. You generally have to get there in the morning to get an L2 charger and later in the week is worse too.

I would only need about 50 miles of range to get home from Logan, depending on the weather. But that SC would only be ~12 miles from the airport. So it would be semi-convenient (at least from N and W of Boston) to hit that on the way in and out.

Honestly, I cringe thinking of parking my car there anyway, and I'd only really do it if my flight times didn't match up well with Commuter Rail schedules (I live along the Fitchburg line)

Checked it out today while getting my winter tires on (in unexpected winter weather!). Still no sign of any SC stalls, but that's not surprising as the future parking lots are still full of dirt piles and contractor trucks. The hotel is pretty far along and the Chick-fil-a is a bunch of steel girders, so it's possible there could be some SC action when I return in the spring.

Yes, I've contacted them a few times over the last 3 years on the same subject with zero response. I think we're dealing with green washing here, not anything serious.

I've always found these to be in use. What would be great would be if they had a much larger section with just 120V access for a trickle charge. If I'm gone for a few days, that should be plenty of time to charge, and hold any vampire drain at bay during the winter. I've been trying to figure out why more garages don't use that approach for long-term parking (employers, hotels, airports, etc.) where just getting 20-30 miles a day is plenty. Maybe there's something I'm missing (very possible) but I feel like that would be solve congestion at places where it's unlikely that you'll actually be able to move your car the minute it's done charging. And it can't be as expensive as installing an L2.
Installing 120V isn't really any cheaper, unless you're comparing installing a 120V outlet vs a 240V EVSE, but that's apples and oranges, and isn't a fair comparison. You still need 3 wires (2 current carrying conductors and a ground). A 240V breaker is a few dollars more than 120V. The labor is the same, and the bulk of the cost.

There's not going to be much difference between 120V vs 240V outlets, or 120V vs 240V EVSE's (for instance, Clipper Creek charges the same for 120V or 240V at the same amp rating).