Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yass, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, if Goulburn goes to V3 chargers rather than V2 (at some time in the future) then charge times will significantly reduce when there are 8 cars charging.
Actually not that significant (particularly for RWD cars) due to the ramp down and the probability of actually being slowed at a V2

Not aware of any global sites being converted from V2 to V3 (basically requires an entire rewire). Instead a site may have additional V3s added to it to become a mix of V2 and V3.

More likely we will get a V3 site in Yass soon (in town not on freeway) which will be reachable for some cars from Sydney and thus take the pressure off Goulburn

Actually not that significant (particularly for RWD cars) due to the ramp down and the probability of actually being slowed at a V2

Not aware of any global sites being converted from V2 to V3 (basically requires an entire rewire). Instead a site may have additional V3s added to it to become a mix of V2 and V3.

More likely we will get a V3 site in Yass soon (in town not on freeway) which will be reachable for some cars from Sydney and thus take the pressure off Goulburn
Faster V3 charging in Yass won't result in much of a time saving, given town is quite some distance off the freeway. That detour would be even worse than Goulburn!

I'd much rather see chargers at Marulan (North and South), Sutton Forest (either side) or Pheasants Nest (either side, there's a little-known one-lane underpass there). Marulan has a very nice pair of truck stops with counter meals, Subway and Hungry Jacks, and with excessively large parking lots. I'm sure they'd be happy to see some actual customers. Ditto the Yass Junction truck stop, even though it isn't as nice as Marulan. V3 superchargers are so fast you're not going to spend much time there being disappointed with the facilities.

As for unusually busy sites, I wouldn't put it past them to rip out all the V2 equipment and switch entirely to V3 in space-constrained sites, then transport that V2 equipment and expand sites with fewer space constraints. Fortunately I wouldn't call Goulburn space-constrained. It'd be straightforward enough to get council to lease them more spaces in the same lot.

Richmond VIC, on the other hand...

Last edited:
I'd much rather see chargers at Marulan (North and South), Sutton Forest (either side) or Pheasants Nest (either side, there's a little-known one-lane underpass there).

Surely ripe for the Evie / Chargefox taking…. Marulan would be great.

I had a vomitous ”hero burger” once at Pheasants Nest, forever tainting my desire to stop there again.

Faster V3 charging in Yass won't result in much of a time saving, given town is quite some distance off the freeway. That detour would be even worse than Goulburn!
I did the math. It's 7 minutes and stuff all distance longer (100m according to Google Maps) to go via the Goulburn SC. It's 3.8km and 8 minutes further/slower through Yass to the proposed site.

Those distances are from the very beginning of an off ramp/lane to the very end of the on ramp.

However, leaving a Canberra home with whatever charge and stopping in Yass for a top up before heading south or west is much more feasible. It's roughly 800m shorter and 6 minutes slower via Yass.

Agree Marulan is less of a diversion for those wanting to drive through, but others might prefer the better food or parks of a country town.

Hopefully BP Marulan is one of the sites BP targets, and maybe they weren't previously willing to host a Tesla site, or maybe there are power issues.

In a town of only 1100 people, an extra 1 MW of power is a lot, and electrical utilities are very good about charging big costs to commercial users requesting upgrades.

We saw this with Evie in Heathcote, and they still haven't got anything nearby
(It's no surprise Evie has been targeting shopping centres for recent city rollouts of the Arena 50kW units)

Surely ripe for the Evie / Chargefox taking…. Marulan would be great.

I had a vomitous ”hero burger” once at Pheasants Nest, forever tainting my desire to stop there again.

I have to agree someone of the NSW 24hr Hume servos are in dire need of an upgrade. The state of the pavement at Gundagai North is truely abismal, along with the fact that there is no overpass for such a busy location. Would prefer an in town option for Gundagai too, at least during daylight hours.

Agree Marulan is less of a diversion for those wanting to drive through, but others might prefer the better food or parks of a country town.

Hopefully BP Marulan is one of the sites BP targets, and maybe they weren't previously willing to host a Tesla site, or maybe there are power issues.

In a town of only 1100 people, an extra 1 MW of power is a lot, and electrical utilities are very good about charging big costs to commercial users requesting upgrades.

We saw this with Evie in Heathcote, and they still haven't got anything nearby
(It's no surprise Evie has been targeting shopping centres for recent city rollouts of the Arena 50kW units)

The longer term solution looks like they will need to pair locations with battery storage.

The state of the pavement at Gundagai North is truely abismal, along with the fact that there is no overpass for such a busy location.
Yes that whole area around the Dog on the Tucker Box is a mess, then you have the direct entry / exit to the "M"31 (should be proper on / off ramps).
Wasn't there a stoush not long ago about moving the Dog to Gundagai town? Maybe the area is being neglected for a reason.

Yes that whole area around the Dog on the Tucker Box is a mess, then you have the direct entry / exit to the "M"31 (should be proper on / off ramps).
Wasn't there a stoush not long ago about moving the Dog to Gundagai town? Maybe the area is being neglected for a reason.
I have to agree - that area at the tuckerbox is a mess. Road in/out is in serious need to proper repair, and the site where the ChargeFox and Tesla chargers are gets boggy after rain. What's worse, Olivers is an unexciting place to eat and their coffee is horrible.

On a separate topic, I prefer to charge with Chargefox if I can, because as an NRMA member it's now much cheaper than Tesla. So on my last recent trip I plugged my M3 into the Chargefox there, just as someone else arrived in an Hyundai. They challenged me for taking up one of those chargers when there were Tesla chargers right next to it. I explained why (it was another $5-10 for me) and offered to move, but they decided to just go get a coffee instead and wait. I had to move to a supercharger anyway as the charger wasn't working.

Reactions: Maximillan
Back on topic (Yass) ... I posted a question on the Yass Valley Community Noticeboard FB group commenting on how busy Goulburn was, and if anyone had heard anything about the process of the Yass site. It's a private group but I'll let you know what I hear!

Back on topic (Yass) ... I posted a question on the Yass Valley Community Noticeboard FB group commenting on how busy Goulburn was, and if anyone had heard anything about the process of the Yass site. It's a private group but I'll let you know what I hear!

All these towns along the Hume require chargers, gives options and reduces congestion. I know Holbrook is coming and Tarcutta has Evie. And both in town and service centres are ultimate goals.

Reactions: Loxmyf