Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla Charging twitter has just confirmed this:
1675127670004.png

Reactions: rx80 and Chuq
Got to chuckle at that article. The stock image they used was the Evie/ACTEWAGL charger at Knowles Place West. That charger is being ripped out soon, due to the closure of that car park (for a works depot for the tram extension, then redevelopment as an office tower). Still no word on a replacement site in inner-city Canberra, a city that already has a dire shortage of DC rapid charging. Though Tesla owners can't complain about the superchargers at the airport & the hyperdome!

Bathurst as well, although it's saying 0/6 stalls available.

The single stall NRMA charger at Bathurst, which is immediately adjacent to the Superchargers, has been offline for months, although NRMA finally fixed it. Can’t see exactly when though because Plugshare no longer shows all check-ins, only the most recent 25, and they only go back to 20 Jan at this site. And 9 of those checkins are from freeloading Tesla drivers.

So I can imagine as soon as Tesla opened up this SC to all-comers, those all-comers leapt at the opportunity to charge faster and more reliably.

Similar story at NRMA Dubbo - that charger was out of action for months too, and it’s 50m away from the Superchargers.

Can’t see exactly when though because Plugshare no longer shows all check-ins, only the most recent 25, and they only go back to 20 Jan at this site.
If you use the app instead of the site you can go back as far as you have the patience to scroll. Bathrust NRMA was back in service on 14 December 2022 and Dubbo NRMA was back in service on 19 September 2022.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
When Tesla first started opening up sites in Europe, there was a caveat that the chargers were only available up to a certain occupancy. So, for instance, if the Gundagai queuing happened, non-Teslas would not be able to charge. I have no idea if that is still in force in Europe or gone. Also no info about the situation in Australia. However, given it is not mentioned in the PR, perhaps everyone is going to have equal priority in Australia (at the opened sites)?

Looking in the app, seems like Narooma, Dubbo, Hollydene and Tamworth is open to non tesla?
Slightly more expensive, ie: Narooma is $0.79 per kwh or $0.66 per kwh (with $9.99/month membership?)

Surprisingly - these were not the subsidised ones, so I'm unsure if this is true or just a bug..
Isn't the normal cost of superchargers 0.69/kmh? It's bullshit if they're charging non Tesla drivers less than Tesla drivers. They should be subsidising us.

• Funny
Reactions: ARMARM
Isn't the normal cost of superchargers 0.69/kmh? It's bullshit if they're charging non Tesla drivers less than Tesla drivers. They should be subsidising us.
Tesla Superchargers Aus wide are currently $0.66/kWh after a slight reduction in September 2022.

As above non-Teslas are 20% higher at $0.79, unless they sign up to a monthly subscription

I was curious about comments that "if other EVs can use superchargers, why would anyone buy a Tesla" and I wondered how true that would be.

Then I realised that I had access to state and model level 2022 VFACTS data (sorry, cannot share the data but can share deriviate info based on the stats)

So here is Tesla's market share in each state, as a proportion of all BEV sales for 2022.

Code:
28.37%    TAS
30.88%    NT
44.46%    SA
56.64%    ACT
58.05%    QLD
58.08%    NSW
62.03%    VIC
65.00%    WA

Tas, NT and SA seem to support the idea that supercharger network density equates to sales, but then WA throws that out of the water.

I thought it may be related to income levels, so I thought I'd check Tassie's top selling EVs and compare to the national average.

% in Tas% nationallyDifference
Tesla Model 319.44%32.55%-13.11%
BYD Atto 311.73%6.32%5.41%
Volvo XC4010.16%2.94%7.22%
Tesla Model Y8.93%26.09%-17.15%
MG ZS8.76%3.35%5.41%
Hyundai Kona6.48%3.28%3.20%
Polestar 25.95%4.56%1.39%
Hyundai Ioniq 54.20%2.26%1.94%
Nissan Leaf3.85%0.88%2.97%
Hyundai Ioniq3.33%1.64%1.69%
Porsche Taycan1.75%1.26%0.49%

(I get that subtracting one from the other is probably not the most statistically accurate method, but it gave me a ballpark indication)

I thought we'd see the MG ZS and the Atto 3 shoot up the ranks, but the Volvo XC40 has the highest improvement, and models similar in price to the Model 3/Y such as the Polestar 2 and Ioniq 5 don't seem to be negatively affected. And even the Taycan has a higher % share in Tas than nationally.

I may need to compare it to new vehicle sales overall, but I'll have to gather those stats separately.

if other EVs can use superchargers, why would anyone buy a Tesla

The problem is if I'm looking from my point of view as a customer, there's no alternative right now.
For a similar space and price to MY:

1. BYD Atto 3 - lower price, but max 80ish kw DC charging, smaller, and both of us couldn't stand the interior.
Efficiency is yet to be seen if it's better/worse
2. EV6 & Ioniq 5 - both are plagued by blown-out delivery time & price gouging by dealers. Not to mention the lack of app & no preconditioning.
3. Audi/BMW/etc - higher price, worse efficiency (Audi)

So while 'losing' Supercharger exclusivity might not be enough to sway us to other brands right now, we'll see how it plays out when it's time to replace it down the track.

Also looking at Europe, they do not open all of SC to the non Tesla - once they do that here and we have alternatives, I am somewhat sure it will affect Tesla's sales.

Reactions: Zoltrix77