Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now possibly at 468 stalls by end of year with the updated Albury and Hawthorn numbers.

Unless if course there are more. Has anyone driven through Gundagai town recently? That's the other obvious one on the Hume.
I was hoping that there'd be something on the Pacific Highway... having Yass, Holbrook *and* Albury in progress (and likely 1 or 2 complete by Christmas) is great, but I think those travelling the other direction are going to struggle!

Reactions: Quickst
For those who missed it: Last night @scully @moa999 @B3AU @RichardV did some sleuthing in the NSW EV charging master plan thread and found the Round 2 NSW Grants had been announced. This included some Tesla sites (not as many as last time though).

These include third locations in Coffs Harbour and Heatherbrae/Raymond Terrace (first being the existing site, second being the Round 1 proposed site) - not sure as to whether there will eventually be three sites, or if the third site will replace the second site. Hopefully that makes sense.

Also includes new sites at Kiama, Fairfield, Tarcutta, Chinderah and Byron Bay. All sites listed are between 10-12 stalls.

Most have been added to supercharge.info but a couple didn’t have precise enough address detail to do so.

As with the first round, I’ve just pointed the forum links to the NSW EV charging thread, rather than creating new threads at this point (probably makes more sense to wait for construction).

A find by some US supercharger hunters - some of the "coming soon" pins now have a "driving directions" link which opens a Google Maps window with the exact co-ordinates of the site.

1701752795513.png

In Australia, this has appeared for three locations:
  • Holbrook & Rockhampton (sites both already known - but the co-ordinates do align with the construction activity)
  • Armidale (no activity found, but the location aligns with the NSW grant location)
So no new information, although maybe Armidale has some construction activity?

Reactions: RichardV
And another surprise.
Second site at Port Macquarie.

Poster says total of 12 stalls with 6 open before Xmas
(So maybe similar situation at Yass).

Waiting on address before starting a thread
It's at Thrumster (where the NRMA chargers already are). I've created a thread:

It is, but it's free-of-charge, open 24 hours, never full and undercover so it'd be quite alright as a Supercharger location. I guess it might have some personal safety concerns late at night though.
More commenting that the Mayor wouldn't have specific knowledge of the private carpark but he has said he is involved in the Tesla Supercharger install, implying council land.

Reactions: dronus
More commenting that the Mayor wouldn't have specific knowledge of the private carpark but he has said he is involved in the Tesla Supercharger install, implying council land.
Don’t let my council know, it would go against their extensive research which says no councils are allowing it, and it’s up to the service stations to provide charging.
Luckily we have the RAA sites going in everywhere as per the other thread.

It would be nice to see more Tesla superchargers in SA though. Especially in the major shopping centre carparks like over there in the east, and maybe an additional one near the cbd. In the meantime the major roads in and out have stalls, so it’s a start :)

(moving discussion from another thread where it drifted off topic)

And we are also still way at the early stages of the adoption curve.
Today's new 10-15 stall site, will need to be 50 in 2-3 yrs.

And then you're talking a much larger area of land which will provide more opportunities to design pull throughs/ front in and wider disabled sites.

But finding sites and finding power is going to continue to be a challenge for all charge point operators.

When sites get to this size, the supercharger may be the main focus of the site - e.g. like Kettleman City in California. The discussion then shifts from being “who will let Tesla use a corner of their car park” to “where can Tesla buy a parcel of land”.

You could also end up with Gridserve style setups.

At this point you stop looking at towns and just look for suitably zoned empty spaces next to interchanges and so on. The main restriction will be availability of power, although Tesla can mitigate this with Megapacks if needed.

Moderators Note: Corrected link

Last edited by a moderator: