Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two in Hobart @Chuq ! (Who beat me as I was busy editing)
:D

I thought it was very weird the addresses were public so was checking with powers-that-be to see if they were OK to share or not :)

I've also spent the last hour driving around the two Hobart sites. Both great candidates! Seems a little weird to have two in Hobart, but if Canberra, with population 350k can have two 6-stalls, it's not entirely unreasonable for Hobart, population 240k to have two 3-stalls (for example). Perhaps a 6-stall at either site would have needed a costly transformer upgrade, but 3 at each site can fit under existing capacity.

The Sandy Bay site is in three sections, one of which is in an undercover area, which is good - but closes at 10pm. Perhaps the idea is that the New Town site would be 24 hours but Sandy Bay limited.

Or perhaps its a mistake! Who can tell :)

• Informative
Reactions: Zoltrix77
Campbeltown site is about 2km off the Hume so not ideal for those passing through Sydney, but at least could be a decent stop for some food at that Club versus Evie Seven Hills which just has a Hungry Jacks.

Also can't find the Blenheim NZ address. Best guess is somewhere near Grey Power in the First/Second/Twelfth lane carpark.

Was also pointed out in Luke's thread that HomeCo Box Hill is a few suburbs from Wheelers Hill (and if I recall that dot was previously in Nunawading) - so that one is probably high on the question mark list.

Last edited:
:D

I thought it was very weird the addresses were public so was checking with powers-that-be to see if they were OK to share or not :)

I've also spent the last hour driving around the two Hobart sites. Both great candidates! Seems a little weird to have two in Hobart, but if Canberra, with population 350k can have two 6-stalls, it's not entirely unreasonable for Hobart, population 240k to have two 3-stalls (for example). Perhaps a 6-stall at either site would have needed a costly transformer upgrade, but 3 at each site can fit under existing capacity.

The Sandy Bay site is in three sections, one of which is in an undercover area, which is good - but closes at 10pm. Perhaps the idea is that the New Town site would be 24 hours but Sandy Bay limited.

Or perhaps its a mistake! Who can tell :)
Maybe there's two applications in place but the one with the least hurdles gets the go ahead the other gets put aside for a few years.

Melbourne sites not exciting to me, the Box Hill (Wheelers Hill) one looks complete garbage. In a random big box car park? The Dandenong one perhaps in the shopping centre car park is 'OK', not much good for the middle of the night.

The Holbrook one again is disapointing at the RSL, two streets back from main street. Fine on a nice day go for walk and come back. Raining night heading up the Hume, total rubbish.

Wagga Wagga, not too bad, near a fuel station but not 24/7, is near a 24/7 McDonalds, but in a suburb rather than near the main road and 24/7 Servo.

Holbrook is probably closer to the mains strip than the NRMA one at the Submarine/ Visitors Centre.

And your at an RSL with decent opening hours and facilities.

Agree HomeCo Box Hill isn't ideal for a suburban charger where you'd expect it will mostly be regulars who can't charge at home. Ideally you want a site with a supermarket, but as leonk notes a new site is better than none.

Last edited:
Remember Mornington is in a HomeCo site as well. They might be a friendly landlord in a difficult area to find space.

And it’s also a garbage location. I know it must be difficult to find locations, but these locations just are not it.

If the fuel stations start throwing in a few charges at their bigger cafe/food sites, I’m not sure why you would bother with a location like this.

I’m still a big believer that if you cannot charge you vehicle at home, there is no point buying an EV. The few times you need to charge away from home, you want a decent location 24/7 with facilities because it’s probably a case of some emergency has popped up.

• Disagree
Reactions: Burnt Toast
I’m sure Tesla has better data on where their cars are driving. They aren’t throwing chargers out there for no good reason.
Given the general demographic of that area, I’m sure they’ll get plenty of use, if not from you.

I’m sure Tesla has better data on where their cars are driving. They aren’t throwing chargers out there for no good reason.
Given the general demographic of that area, I’m sure they’ll get plenty of use, if not from you.

That’s bullshit. If you pulled up the data of where Tesla owners charge there cars on the Mornington Peninsula, I’m pretty sure if will be the HomeCo, not because it’s a good location, but because it’s the ONLY location.

I think they are big enough and have enough customers nowadays that they should not be settling for these types of locations.

They are getting coverage sure, its just not as convenient has it should be:

Remember these are superchargers, not destination chargers. If someone is using a supercharger to do the bulk of their charging, there probably isn't enough convenient destination charging in their area. Superchargers need to be on major roads as the goal should be to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. Destination chargers need to be at places like shopping centres, supermarkets, cinemas, cafes, workplaces, and car parks where you might spend a significant amount of time.

Agree HomeCo Box Hill isn't ideal for a suburban charger where you'd expect it will mostly be regulars who can't charge at home. Ideally you want a site with a supermarket, but as leonk notes a new site is better than none.

Yes, that location is not ideal. Just drop one in Ringwood and be done with it for maximum connectivity, and supports folks heading south and east on the M3, and out to the Yarra Valley.

My view is that Superchargers should be on arterial routes rather than in urban locations. Most folks should have home charging, and if they don't, just drop a bunch of destination chargers at supermarkets.

Remember these are superchargers, not destination chargers. If someone is using a supercharger to do the bulk of their charging, there probably isn't enough convenient destination charging in their area. Superchargers need to be on major roads as the goal should be to get you back on the road as quickly as possible. Destination chargers need to be at places like shopping centres, supermarkets, cinemas, cafes, workplaces, and car parks where you might spend a significant amount of time.

Exactly my point that the car park of a home maker centre is rubbish for supercharging.

Reactions: jason66
Yes, that location is not ideal. Just drop one in Ringwood and be done with it for maximum connectivity, and supports folks heading south and east on the M3, and out to the Yarra Valley.

My view is that Superchargers should be on arterial routes rather than in urban locations. Most folks should have home charging, and if they don't, just drop a bunch of destination chargers at supermarkets.

BP could deploy like 20 chargers on each side of the Eastlink services, I'm almost certain they will not want to be letting Tesla in nowdays.

Sometimes I wonder if 'leaked' or 'accidentally revealed' information isn't just strategic marketing.

If it’s a choice between strategic masterstroke or stuff-up, in most cases it’s the latter.

I think that’s the case here. I can’t see how a temporary “leak” of future Supercharger addresses provides any advantage to Tesla. It could work against them, if they are negotiating with a landlord who now thinks their leverage has improved because Tesla might feel more public pressure to complete the deal.

Reactions: moa999