Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If every parking space intended for daytime use (workplaces, parking stations, commuter parking lots, shopping malls, gyms etc had a Level 2 charge point, CA wouldn’t need a lot more superchargers than they already have for a near-100% EV society.

And if it was widely known those chargers were “solar powered” (even if they’re on-grid) and won’t work after 5pm, unless you’re prepared to pay a premium price to keep the juice flowing, people would mostly accept that.

Agreed that the there just isn't even the start for AC charging. Take my local Shopping Centre here in Melbourne, there are 4 Tesla destination chargers that are basically full all the time, probably by Tesla shoppers just getting a free charge.

For this to work, there needs to be HUNDREDS of AC chargers in the buliding, load managed to give the highest charge rate possible taking into account the other vehicles connected, upto 11kW AC. It needs to work via plug and charge, and people NEED to pay for the service, perhaps in the region of 50c kWh. Free charging like this is more an annoyance than a convinience.

On the DCFC front. To me, its a complete joke, I still see no REAL effort to roll out anything that resembles a widespead fast convinient network. The Amp Charge thing is looking more average by the day, Tesla appears to have put a pause on any significant expansion.

Reactions: Hairyman and Wol747
The doubters in the world will always say it's not possible to install charging infrastructure, when in fact it's not technically difficult and quite feasible. The real issue is the pre-planning and keeping ahead of the EV surge. The sad part here is that it's up to a handful of companies and government incentives, and neither are keeping up. The practical result is that for those of us EV drivers today that have been relying on what little infrastructure exists now, will see a slide in availability to charge in coming months and years. It will get FAR worse, before it gets better. That said, I have faith it will correct in due course, but it's going to be rough until it does.

For this to work, there needs to be HUNDREDS of AC chargers in the buliding, load managed to give the highest charge rate possible taking into account the other vehicles connected, upto 11kW AC. It needs to work via plug and charge, and people NEED to pay for the service, perhaps in the region of 50c kWh. Free charging like this is more an annoyance than a convinience.

I agree, we are past the point where free charging is sustainable. To expand AC charging in places like shopping malls and large workplaces to the level needed will require a lot of expenditure and that is only possible if people start paying. “Free” distorts people‘s behaviour way more than it should.

People who can charge at home will stop using these chargers if they have to pay more per kWh than they do at home. Thereby freeing up the chargers for those who don’t have that choice or just really do need a charge right now. Everyone is better off.

On the DCFC front. To me, its a complete joke, I still see no REAL effort to roll out anything that resembles a widespead fast convinient network. The Amp Charge thing is looking more average by the day, Tesla appears to have put a pause on any significant expansion.

The NSW programme is very good. First round grant winners for DCFCs should be announced “soon”. The high traffic locations will have 8 stalls - the first time we will see that outside of the Tesla network.

The doubters in the world will always say it's not possible to install charging infrastructure, when in fact it's not technically difficult and quite feasible. The real issue is the pre-planning and keeping ahead of the EV surge. The sad part here is that it's up to a handful of companies and government incentives, and neither are keeping up. The practical result is that for those of us EV drivers today that have been relying on what little infrastructure exists now, will see a slide in availability to charge in coming months and years. It will get FAR worse, before it gets better. That said, I have faith it will correct in due course, but it's going to be rough until it does.
Sadly, and this goes against my instincts, I thing government needs to partly fund decent networks in the short term. Until there’s substantial charging demand many are going to stand idle much of the time, and no company an survive that. Once Joe Public sees a network that just works the EV owning percentage will rocket and networks will become profitable and proliferate.

Shopping malls aren't installing AC charging to provide a service to people who can't charge at home. They're doing it because they have done the sums and reckon the amount they spend on charging is going to be less than the value to their leaseholders of the additional business it attracts.

That works for early adopters, who were also probably high net worth individuals, and when charger contention was low because there were simply not that many EVs out there. It became a point of differentiation to attract those shoppers, while the costs were an ‘asterisk’ in the monthly balance sheet, probably buried under “marketing/promotions”.

But I have my doubts that will work when EVs are mainstream and the shopping centre needs to install 100 times as many AC chargers. If users are not funding the hardware and electricity costs the business case falls apart. Either the centre passes those costs on to shops with higher rents (then onto customers) which could backfire, or they continue to have a small number of chargers that are perpetually occupied and angry EV drivers who need a charge but can‘t get one go to the centre management office and let their rage fly.

With current electricity prices we seem to be developing a few common ranges for those that do charge.
AC to 22kW - 20-30c/kWh
DC 50-75kW - 30-40c/kWh
DC 100+kWh - 60-70c/kWh

It will be interesting to see what NRMA charges for charges™ when it starts charging 😄. If the 50 kW NRMA/Chargefox unit at Karuah is any guide (the same hardware as most of the early NRMA sites) that will be 40c/kWh with NRMA discount of 20%.

Jolt charges 42c/kWh for 25 kW DC which is out of whack (although first 7 kWh is free).

Reactions: Maximillan
Possible new supercharger location in the Macedon Ranges (Victoria)?

Comment from the council's May 2022 meeting minutes:
Meeting held with Tesla to investigate location for supercharging station in the shire.
Obviously it's in the early stages, if at all. Of the towns in the shire, my guess would be Kyneton as it is about half way between Melbourne and Bendigo superchargers, and is a reasonably big town right off the Calder fwy.

It's a race between Mt Gambier and Indooroopilly for the 50th supercharger (second time).

Yes second.. Margaret River was the first #50. Then they closed the Horsham V2, then they closed Toombul, so we were down to #48. Now Tuggeranong is open so back up to #49.. and the race for #50 is on again!

So looks like Brisbane (Indooroopilly) has "just" met the Q3 2022 target. The surprise sites in Canberra (Tuggeranong) and possibly Mt.Gambier also opened in Q3.

So roll onto the last three months
The two Q4 site listed are:
Tenterfield, NSW
Wollongong, NSW

No council papers suggesting sites at either.

We might also see some signs of work for Q1 2023 given the large number of sites listed as Coming Soon.

Inadvertently or otherwise, it looks like Tesla has revealed addresses of almost all "coming soon" sites!

Note - we don't really know if these are final locations; they could be (for example) whichever site is currently being investigated.

Lancelin and Blaxland match the known permit locations.

I looked at a few addresses and they are ideal candidate sites - examples include Wollongong, at a shopping centre right off the Princes Highway; Holbrook, at a services club with a huge solar array an an undeveloped carpark; and Kempsey, which is a service station immediately adjecant to a Woolies.

Curious there are two in Hobart!

11QGCqK.png

A big find by Luke S on the T3Y AU Facebook group.
Tesla have now listed all the addresses for the Coming Soon superchargers on their page.

Naturally I've quickly downloaded them all, and I think mostly identified the location.

Two in Hobart @Chuq ! (Who beat me as I was busy editing)

My additions in Italic

Think it should be noted that like the Pins we've got no knowledge as to what state these contracts are in, and we've seen proposed superchargers disappear or get moved (or whether Tesla meant to release this info)

Armidale
Jessie St Carpark (Council)
117 Jessie St
Armidale 2350

Bairnsdale
Council carpark nr McDonalds (from previous posts)
Bairnsdale 3875

Blaxland
Council carpark
12-24 Hope St
Blaxland 2774

Brisbane South
Likely Rochedale Village, possibly Sunnybank Plaza
Miles Platting Rd
Rochedale 4123

Bundaberg
Bundaberg Central Shopping Centre
16 Maryborough St
Bundaberg Central 4670

Campbelltown
Campbelltown Catholic Club
20-22 Camden Road
Campbelltown 2560

Dandenong
Likely Dandenong Plaza (RetPro) or Dandenong RSL
Clow Street
Melbourne 3177

Hobart 1
New Town Plaza (Coles)
1 Risdon Rd
New Town 7008

Hobart 2
Coles Sandy Bay
246 Sandy Bay Rd
Sandy Bay 7005

Holbrook
Holbrook RSL
38 Swift St
Holbrook 2644

Kempsey
Woolworths/BigW/CaltexWoolworths
77 Smith St
Kempsey 2440

Lancelin
Council Park
8 Rock Way
Lancelin 6044

Mackay
Ooralea Shopping Centre (SCA Property)
79 Boundary Rd
Ooralea 4740

Mandurah
Unclear from address - big road
Pinjarra Road
Mandurah 6210

Miriam Vale
Council Park
Tranquility Walk
Miriam Vale 4677

Tenterfield
Henry Parkes Plaza (unknown Owner)
162 Rouse St
Tenterfield 2372

Wagga Wagga
Quality Hotel Rules Club Wagga
188 Fernleigh Road
Wagga Wagga 2650

Wheelers Hill
HomeCo Box Hill
249 Middleborough Rd
Box Hill South 3128

Wollongong
Figtree Grove Shopping (SPH, MA Financial)
19 Princes Hwy
Figtree 2525

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok and scully