Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are some good points there for opening of the Tesla network but there could be a downside for some locations.
Other operators may decide they can't compete with Tesla reliability and decide not too invest in some locations that are marginal or won't show a potential return for many years if ever. This could be especially true when government funds dry up or aren't available.
This could allow Tesla to charge any price in those areas and/or these sites eventually become fully utilised at times. In such a case Tesla and other EV drivers are the 'losers'. Wait times and high cost could become the norm in these places.
All just theoretical and years into the future but I see this possible.

Other operators may decide they can't compete with Tesla reliability

If other operators decide this they (and we as EV owners) have lost already.

BP doesn't decide that Shell is selling all the petrol on a street so doesn't open a servo.

Chargers will be the same, BP won't let Tesla get away with charging $2/kWh in a town because they couldn't be bothered creating a working charger.

I also suspect there's an economy of scale by having a larger network being more reliable because you can actually afford to have enough technicians and spare parts on hand in any one region (i.e. not based more than an hour or so from the chargers). Other networks currently seem to be using skeleton staff to try and cover entire states (or the entire country)

Other operators may decide they can't compete with Tesla reliability and decide not too invest in some locations that are marginal or won't show a potential return for many years if ever. This could be especially true when government funds dry up or aren't available.
This could allow Tesla to charge any price in those areas and/or these sites eventually become fully utilised at times. In such a case Tesla and other EV drivers are the 'losers'. Wait times and high cost could become the norm in these places.
If Tesla increases their prices (arguably too high already), or if utilisation is pushed up near capacity, there opens opportunities for the competitors.
  1. Tesla has monopoly in an area.
  2. Tesla increases prices and/or sites become fully utilised.
  3. Competitors are now incentivised to open up in that area as they can become competitive against Tesla.
Where number 2 doesn't happen, then the likelihood of the public needing chargers in such areas is low.

I don’t know of many examples where a business has voluntarily decided to stop growing simply because competition exists. Evie certainly has ambition to be national, and probably the #1 competitor to Tesla in scale and reliability. Evie won a staggering percentage of the most recent Drive NSW grants. It’s an auction/bidding process so it’s not like the government is playing favourites.

The government money, at least in NSW, isn’t drying up any time soon. Still a little under 3 years of the programme to run. And who’s to say there won’t be a new programme after that?

What I do expect to see is an industry shakeout in a few years. The Ampol/BP type networks will continue to exist because they are in-house and will able to be cross-subsidised from fuel/store operations for a very long time. Some paid AC charging networks will survive because that is a bit niche and you can expect them to move into things like apartment solutions. But the way things are looking, I’m not sure Chargefox will survive as we know it.

New photo on plugshare for Hollydene with a polestar charging, which seems to reach fine even with the rear mounted perpendicular charger location there.

Screenshot_20230204-072609.png

But more interesting is the new sign in the background which I think reads, 'Electric Vehicle Charging Only. Scan for instructions to Charge a Non-Tesla' with a QR code in the centre to scan.
Most likely this justs links to a page on how to install the Tesla app and set up payment and app based starting of a charge. But given the NSW funding requirements, though not required for this site, could this be some compromise where you are directed to an online payment portal without an 'app'. Though this would not meet their EMV payment terminal requirement but maybe designing and implementing a payment terminal/kiosk for the supercharger site is what is holding up Tenterfield and Figtree from being open for non-Teslas.

Bowral now has no popup again.
I drove near there (Centennial Vineyards) a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t drive in for a look (basically I forgot after driving that way specifically to see what if anything was happening)

If it ever eventuates as a supercharger location - and we can’t know right now if it is being considered or was a data error from the existing destination chargers there - it is actually quite a good one. Not really as much of a diversion off the main motorway as you might think. If I am nearby again soon-ish I will try to remember to drop in and have a look.

You guys are just not thinking outside the box enough! There's an easy way to deal with the short charging cables.....
I have so many questions, like how does a Model S owner decide to do that?
You can tell it's in the US where they don't have that problem from the illuminated NACS socket.

Found the answer.

So with Brisbane (Rochedale) the first of the Q1 sites appearing as Under Construction, thought I'd update the watch list based on the Q1 2023 Coming Soon list and the previously leaked addresses.

Armidale, NSW
Jessie St Carpark
117 Jessie St

Blaxland, NSW
Council carpark
12-24 Hope St

Campbelltown, NSW
Campbelltown Catholic Club
20-22 Camden Road

Hobart, TAS
New Town Plaza (Coles)
1 Risdon Rd
OR
Coles Sandy Bay
246 Sandy Bay Rd

Kempsey, NSW
Woolworths/ BigW
77 Smith St

Mackay, QLD
Ooralea Shopping Centre
79 Boundary Rd

Rockhampton, QLD
Unknown

Wagga Wagga, NSW
Quality Hotel Rules Club
188 Fernleigh Road

I don't know where to post this, but watching Matt Kean's live from recent days - he was saying in fuelcheck (Fuel Check) site they've included EV chargers map, from the quick look seems like it includes DC and destination chargers. Is this new? I guess also some information needs to be fixed ie: supercharger is not Type 2 but CCS2

1676167958483.png

1676168024012.png

1676167890330.png

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok
I think in 5-10 years time Tesla may have some of the lowest charging rates on the market. I believe they will invest in renewables at charging stations to reduce energy costs and pass the savings on.

Hopefully some of the larger sites will get a megapack(s). In SA during the day the wholesale rate is literally free. Would be great to charge a megapack for free using renewables to power the superchargers.

Hopefully some of the larger sites will get a megapack(s). In SA during the day the wholesale rate is literally free. Would be great to charge a megapack for free using renewables to power the superchargers.
The wholesale rate might be free (or even negative) but they also have to pay the distribution network to get the power to the site - in the case of SA, that's SAPN. That part isn't free.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman