Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the South Koreans are really orchestrating things this time...

The voting system is a bit dumb though. In electoral terms it is First Past the Post which is the worst voting system ever invented. Very simple, but very bad. South Korea has a population of 52 million - double the size of Australia.

At a minimum votes should be weighted in accordance to population or the total number of Teslas in each market. That would give a fairer indication.

The voting system is a bit dumb though. In electoral terms it is First Past the Post which is the worst voting system ever invented. Very simple, but very bad. South Korea has a population of 52 million - double the size of Australia.
It's not really first-past-the-post because you get multiple votes. It's actually Plurality Block Voting (which is also prone to problems and distortions).

• Informative
Reactions: Vostok

At a minimum votes should be weighted in accordance to population or the total number of Teslas in each market. That would give a fairer indication.
I did notice they tried to allow for this by allocating some "wildcards"....

Reactions: Vostok
Here's a question from an (as yet) non owner. I've spoke to a couple of ICE owners with friends with Tesla's and they claim their owners are always complaing that when they finally get to superchargers during trips, they almost always find them occupied and have to wait for (sometimes) hours to get connected. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I'm on Australia's east coast.

Also, I just received my Wall Charger yesterday (still no car LOL) and was wondering for a verhicle (MYLR) that generally does short trips, is it better to top up the battery every night or is it better to allow it to deplete and only charge weekly etc?
Thanks

I've spoke to a couple of ICE owners with friends with Tesla's and they claim their owners are always complaing that when they finally get to superchargers during trips, they almost always find them occupied and have to wait for (sometimes) hours to get connected. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

I can definitively confirm this... I was assured by the workmate of my neighbour that his sister's boss who also owns a petrol station, was told by a customer that they saw, what they were absolutely sure was an EV, parked near a charger and were certain it had been there for hours!

parked near a charger and were certain it had been there for hours!
I think Power Hungry was referring to supercharger during road trips. I doubt people would just park for hours at an SC unless they don't care about idle fees.

Assuming the LR arriving here is the same with P, you can charge to 80 for your daily trips and if you need, charge to 100 no issue just drive it immediately after.
If I'm on road trips I just charge to whatever necessary to go or to 80 - unless I know I'm going to some remote areas which I definitely need the whole 100%.

The other thing that you should know is charging from 80-100 might take the same time as 20-80, that is my main reason not to charge to 100 on road trips .It's just not time efficient (again, unless I absolutely need it).

Have a play with ABRP if you haven't done so, try to charge at one spot to 100 and compare the total time.

Here's a question from an (as yet) non owner. I've spoke to a couple of ICE owners with friends with Tesla's and they claim their owners are always complaing that when they finally get to superchargers during trips, they almost always find them occupied and have to wait for (sometimes) hours to get connected. Can anyone confirm or refute this? I'm on Australia's east coast.

I assume @Nevyn72’s post was pure sarcasm so I’ll try a more serious response.

Queuing at Superchargers is relatively rare but it does happen. People who say they waited 1+ hours are I suspect grossly exaggerating. It happens when you would also expect to see cars queuing at highway service stations, i.e. peak holiday travel periods which is from Boxing Day to about the 28/29 Dec and I expect we’ll see some at this upcoming Easter. Also unsurprisingly it mainly happens during peak daylight hours so from about 11am to maybe 3 or 4pm.

There are things drivers can do to de-risk this. If possible, plan your trip so that you are plugging in relatively early in the morning or later in the afternoon. Also stay at accommodation where you can AC charge overnight so that you leave with a full “tank” every morning, reducing the need to charge while on the road.

If that’s not feasible, when navigating to a supercharger, you can tap on the icon and it will show a histogram of peak usage times, with an estimate of wait times if all stalls are occupied. Note an SC showing 1+ stalls free could quickly change to no stalls free and 3 cars queuing in 10 minutes, and vice versa. It’s just the effect of cars turning up randomly.

So have a plan B of third-party chargers you can go to if SC queuing is really bad. But of course, you run the risk of queuing there too with less granular real-time data about how busy those sites are and level of queuing.

Having said all that, I have never had to wait to plug in at an SC in 3+ years of ownership. But I don’t often travel at peak holiday times.

Also, I just received my Wall Charger yesterday (still no car LOL) and was wondering for a verhicle (MYLR) that generally does short trips, is it better to top up the battery every night or is it better to allow it to deplete and only charge weekly etc?

Just plug in every night, For cars with LFP batteries, it is recommended to charge to 100%. For NMC batteries, 80% unless you are going on a road trip the next day.

There is nothing to be gained in terms of battery life by driving until nearly empty and then doing a big charge - in fact doing that you run the risk of having a low battery charge on a day when you have an unexpected need to take a long trip, resulting in having to get a rapid charge somewhere. An EV is not like and ICE vehicle where people drive till nearly empty then fill up. Just top up every day or nearly every day and don’t worry about it.

Some say the battery calibration requires data over a range of charge values, so if the car is perpetually charged within a narrow range (e.g. 70-80%) the range estimates will start to go off. But that will fix itself the next time you do a road trip.

when they finally get to superchargers during trips, they almost always find them occupied and have to wait for (sometimes) hours
There were queues last Xmas travel period on a handful of days for a few hours during the middle of the day. Typically under 30min, but a few reports of just above 60.
On the same day ice cars were also queing at petrol stations.
Likely will be the same this Easter hols.

On any other day, no-issue.

A few of the city-based superchargers can also get busy on weekends.

Tesla has a number of new sites under construction (eg. Suttons Forest nr Goulburn) or under planning (and with NSW Govt funding) that will hopefully make this a non-issue.

Reactions: Power Hungry
Having said all that, I have never had to wait to plug in at an SC in 3+ years of ownership. But I don’t often travel at peak holiday times.
I can report the same - we travel during school holidays but not normally on Boxing Day itself, and haven't had to wait at a Supercharger in the same period of ownership.

I suspect that these owners might have been using "Supercharger" to refer to any fast charger, whereas most Tesla owners think of Supercharger to mean the specifically branded Tesla Supercharger sites. Third party fast chargers do tend to have more queuing, mostly because they tend to be smaller sites with fewer stalls, but also because they're often slower 50kW units and in the case of the NRMA sites free of cost, which you can imagine attracts a certain level of opportunistic charging. Queueing at actual Tesla Supercharger sites is such a novelty that it tends to be reported in forums like this when it does happen (I suspect we might see some reports, particularly at Port Macquarie and Gundagai, this weekend).

You can appreciate that at 6-stall Superchargers with typical charge sessions of 25-30 minutes, cars will be turning over every 4-5 minutes on average so the queue would have to be 20 cars deep before you were waiting an hour.

Each night. Always Be Charging is the mantra.

Looks like the South Koreans are really orchestrating things this time...
I just had a look at the possible locations to vote for in South Korea. There are only 5 choices. So not so much as being 'orchestrated' as just being the only options. I assume some people there are holding there vote otherwise they would all be at the same number.
There are also only 5 locations in Taiwan but I guess they do not have as many owners voting but there would also be no real need to co-ordinate there.

Canberra, Yass, Goulburn, Albury and Port Mac are all showing as waitlisted.

Yass?

Goulburn is showing a 5 minute wait time which isn't too bad.

Gundagai is showing all 6 chargers offline though, that's bad (although doesn't seem to be mentioned on Plugshare, so probably actually a comms issue with the site?).

Wodonga (25 min) and Port Macquarie (20 min) are being slammed, as expected.

Last edited:
Recent change to the app as well. Noe showing prices and the usage graph.

Screenshot_20230407-075948.png