Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chargefox came along later and share the same transformer. Chargefox came to the agreement that Tesla take the power first and Chargefox can have the remaining capacity. This has been operating for quite a while, so I don't see that being the issue. I would say the storms took the power out in the area.
It's also highly like the person working at Tesla when they first set up there was the same person who happened to be working at Chargefox when they decided to share the site :)

A not on fire version of this on a semi would be good Tesla mobile Supercharger with Megapack caught on fire

May help if for some reason you can't do groundworks or similar, but you still need to get power to the site.

As for Chargefox at Gundagai - their site was also down at Xmas for a few days (presumably because the excess power after Tesla took their cut dropped to zero) so they really should have been looking at boosting capacity.

Anyone got any Easter updates? How’s the network coping? How are the wait times?
Just had a quick look on the app - starting from Euroa, currently showing 4/6, 5/6, 3/6, 0/8 (w/5 min wait), 7/12 available.

Heading from Syd-Bris: starting with Tuggerah: 4/6, 4/6, 0/6 (w/ <5 min wait), 4/6, 2/4, 3/6. Gold Coast is 0/8 (w/5 min wait).

Something I saw on PlugShare yesterday evening and I want to call them out to thank them (because I would hope it helped a lot of otherwise-stuck people) was @QBN_PC had made a series of very helpful comments on the various DC chargers on that route - the dead ones and those within 100-200km of them - spelling out how best to work around the outages (alternate routes and which chargers to take a big charge or a small extra top-up at) and still make it to where they needed to go.
I'm trying to keep them all as up to date as I can. I'm at 90% at Sutton Forest, tapping away there & here, having long since unplugged. It only has 1/4 working stalls despite what the Evie app says, and the CHAdeMO plug on the only working stall is a dud.

One Model Y has since pulled in. Another arrived shortly afterwards and drove away in disgust chancing his arm at reaching Campbelltown Supercharger.
20230409_164855.jpg

(Also posted in the Wiki)

I've noticed the list of Superchargers on the Tesla website is missing 8 Superchargers. There's seemingly no pattern to the ones that are missing. For example, it has Campbelltown, the most recently opened Supercharger, but it doesn't list Hollydene (Jerrys Plains) which has been open for years. It also incorrectly lists one destination charger in this list (Centennial Vineyards):

The map though shows them all. Which is probably more important 😄

My count says Tesla has 58 operational superchargers. The ones missing from the list are:
  • Box Hill VIC
  • Cann River VIC
  • Hollydene NSW
  • Moonee Ponds VIC
  • Rochedale QLD
  • Shepparton VIC
  • Toowoomba QLD
  • Yea VIC

• Informative
Reactions: Sir Surfalot
And my last update at Goulburn Chargefox got moderated out.
I don’t understand the moderation on PlugShare at all. I updated the prices and did some general tidy-ups for the listings for the chargers I use regularly a couple of months ago, and when I went back to look the price fields had been deleted, someone had decided that every digit everywhere needed to be wrapped in brackets, eg saying “(2) stalls” rather than “2 stalls”, the word Supercharger - or any other sensible differentiator - removed from all the sites, so places with several different chargers co-located now have just the place name with(1), (2), whatever as a meaningless suffix, with the obvious effect that there are a lot of wrong check-ins and comments where someone has picked the wrong almost-duplicate site entry.

The Supercharger listings all seem to have been locked now, so you can’t even fix them back up :(

I honestly can’t think why someone at PlugShare would think your workaround advice comments should be deleted. Not only were they necessary, the advice offered was correct. If not for sharing advice on chargers and charging(including how to proceed when a site is dead on one of the biggest travel weekends of the year), what is PlugShare “for” I wonder?

I don’t understand the moderation on PlugShare at all. I updated the prices and did some general tidy-ups for the listings for the chargers I use regularly a couple of months ago, and when I went back to look the price fields had been deleted, someone had decided that every digit everywhere needed to be wrapped in brackets, eg saying “(2) stalls” rather than “2 stalls”, the word Supercharger - or any other sensible differentiator - removed from all the sites, so places with several different chargers co-located now have just the place name with(1), (2), whatever as a meaningless suffix, with the obvious effect that there are a lot of wrong check-ins and comments where someone has picked the wrong almost-duplicate site entry.

The Supercharger listings all seem to have been locked now, so you can’t even fix them back up :(

I honestly can’t think why someone at PlugShare would think your workaround advice comments should be deleted. Not only were they necessary, the advice offered was correct. If not for sharing advice on chargers and charging(including how to proceed when a site is dead on one of the biggest travel weekends of the year), what is PlugShare “for” I wonder?

Yep, Plugshare has had all kinds of issues with the way they manage their data. Some, such as incorrect icons, have been an issue for years. They’ve never differentiated CCS1 and CCS2. They randomly lock some entries (superchargers, but occasional Chargefox/Evie sites too) as you’ve noticed - even when the sites are wrong.

A year ago some superchargers were listed as CCS (e.g. Tailem Bend) where as others installed around the same time were still “Tesla (Fast)”. Now as you mention they’ve changed them all to CCS. With the mass rename as you’ve mentioned, they’re all CCS *and* have vague names. They’ve been told about this (see my tweet - )

The networks you can filter by (icons on left) appear to be completely different from the networks you can select when you add a site.

There’s more, but to top it all off, they limit access to all this data, which we contribute to them for free. They don’t allow ABRP to import the site info, for example.

It’s just one of the reasons why I don’t go militant on people not checking in the Plugshare. Apart from it not being a long-term scalable solution, I can understand others not wanting to donate their data to a for-profit company like this.

In the meantime I focus on adding everything I find to OpenChargeMap and OpenStreetMap, so that when the revolution does happen, the site details are in an alternate, open access database.

In the meantime I focus on adding everything I find to OpenChargeMap and OpenStreetMap, so that when the revolution does happen, the site details are in an alternate, open access database.
I agree with all that, except that I found OpenChargeMap to be even more of a closed-shop than Plugshare. I could never get any updates included, so I gave up on OCM years ago.

It's silly anyway, the charger data fits just fine in OSM, OpenChargeMap should just be a rendering of the OSM data.

Reactions: Chuq
I've been trying to get OSM a little more up to date recently as well, mainly in Vic and southern NSW. A lot of the chargers there were just locations and didn't even have socket types.

At the end of the day, it's probably the data source that's most likely to end up in everyone else's datasets.

If anyone else wants to look at the current state of the OSM data, this overpass query I use shows the chargers and colours them by the type of socket tag they have set. You can click on the dots to see more detail on each.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuq and cafz
It was auto moderation. I just can't imagine what word triggered it this time. And it didn't give me a chance to edit it, I just lost everything I wrote. UGH!

I should know better. It often moderates me when my check-in comment says I'm there for a quickie.

Anyway, at the chargers I was updating, there were almost no angry PlugSharers. One at Yass, who checked in at Murrumbateman shortly after my comment suggesting it if there are really 2 cars in front of him at a single 50kW charger.

As for the rest, either there wasn't much of a debacle despite almost everything going wrong, or there was - but only among non-PlugSharers.

I'm still not sure if there's a worse supercharger that could go down than Gundagai! With Chargefox so tempting but reliant on & a secondary user of the same transformer...

I agree with all that, except that I found OpenChargeMap to be even more of a closed-shop than Plugshare. I could never get any updates included, so I gave up on OCM years ago.

It's silly anyway, the charger data fits just fine in OSM, OpenChargeMap should just be a rendering of the OSM data.
I think any updates need to be approved by a regional admin, but I just checked and there aren’t any awaiting approval now so presumably whatever delays were occurring back then aren’t an issue now.
I've been trying to get OSM a little more up to date recently as well, mainly in Vic and southern NSW. A lot of the chargers there were just locations and didn't even have socket types.

At the end of the day, it's probably the data source that's most likely to end up in everyone else's datasets.

If anyone else wants to look at the current state of the OSM data, this overpass query I use shows the chargers and colours them by the type of socket tag they have set. You can click on the dots to see more detail on each.
Agree 100% with what both of you said about OSM being the likely long-term repository of info. Also what @cafz said about being a front-end.

In fact I’ve had this conversation before about merging the data. OCM admin (Christopher Cook) isn’t against it, but doesn’t have the time to work on it. OSM has issues with the licensing used in OCM. Everything thinks “something should be done” and it makes sense to do so but no-one has the combination of time, skills and resources to do it!

If someone wants to make a proof-of-concept site, even if just read-only, which reads the OSM data (see @leonk ’s link) and renders it to look like Plugshare (or rather, just different enough that Plugshare won’t send lawyers) it might encourage other devs to join in!

Past discussion on this topic on their forum here: https://community.openchargemap.org/t/integration-with-openstreetmap/110