Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, no intention to stop your discussing those topics but this just seems way away from what this topic... could you create another thread for these discussion?
I think I have to agree that everything that could be said about the Supercharger team sackings has been said. So I will be reserving the right to delete any more comments on that subject going forward.
I’m not going to create a new thread specifically for that topic here as it’s not an Australian specific subject and I have no interest in moderating such a subject for the international community so I would ask that it not be created.
Edit: Here is the thread in the general Supercharger forum.

Ma

Mars is about making human kind a multi-planet species...not about helping Planet Earth.
That's where he parts company with reality (again).
Think about it: Mars doesn't have a breathable atmosphere - because its gravity isn't sufficient to keep one.. That isn't going to change and even if it were possible to geoengineer one it wouldn't stay indefinitely. If we can't get along together here on planet Earth what would be the chances of funding - indefinitely - an outpost in scale on another planet? A scientific set-up like the Antarctic bases, possibly - just a few dozen for a month or two, but not a viable expanding population. And in any case - to what end? the tensions would make our problems here seem like paradise!
IMO whatever the likelihood of extraterrestrial intelligence the sheer expanse of "out there" means that even if we ever made contact, expansion out of our little blue speck will never happen.
Unless the laws of physics as we know them are proved drastically wrong.

Interesting thing I’d never experienced before (99% of my charging is at home) but I dropped into the Adelaide SC on the way home this afternoon for a little top up. I could have made it home easy, but the dog needed to pee and it also made sense to fast charge a bit so I can top up the rest at home tonight.
Only 1 stall in use.
Plugged in, get a notification that as it is a busy site my charge limit has been changed to 80% and that idle fees would be payable if I overstayed my welcome.
I was only going to charge to 80% anyway but if I didn’t see that notification and walked away I might have been miffed?
All the stalls did fill up soon enough.
Not a big deal, just an observation ;)

Reactions: B3AU
Interesting thing I’d never experienced before (99% of my charging is at home) but I dropped into the Adelaide SC on the way home this afternoon for a little top up. I could have made it home easy, but the dog needed to pee and it also made sense to fast charge a bit so I can top up the rest at home tonight.
Only 1 stall in use.
Plugged in, get a notification that as it is a busy site my charge limit has been changed to 80% and that idle fees would be payable if I overstayed my welcome.
I was only going to charge to 80% anyway but if I didn’t see that notification and walked away I might have been miffed?
Not a big deal, just an observation ;)
Interesting I've seen that happen in a really busy site, but I wonder if the new "vehicles on route" thing played a part here and it realised that it was going to be full very soon.

That's pretty cool if that's what it was!

It will warn you again before it gets to charging idle fees.

Reactions: dronus
Interesting I've seen that happen in a really busy site, but I wonder if the new "vehicles on route" thing played a part here and it realised that it was going to be full very soon.

That's pretty cool if that's what it was!

It will warn you again before it gets to charging idle fees.
Yeah I think it’s actually a really good idea, we only have 4 stalls in Adelaide. An awesome gray model x pulled up alongside me. The car preconditioned really early (I was still out near the Barossa) and gave me this so I kept on trucking.

IMG_0651.jpeg

Reactions: Jules22
That's where he parts company with reality (again).
Think about it: Mars doesn't have a breathable atmosphere - because its gravity isn't sufficient to keep one.. That isn't going to change and even if it were possible to geoengineer one it wouldn't stay indefinitely.
Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere because it doesn't have a magnetic field, as its iron core is solid. Solar wind blasts the atmosphere into space.

If you somehow put a new earth-like atmosphere there, it'd last hundreds of thousanss of years, possibly millions, before it's eventually blasted away again. And if you could somehow redirect enough asteroids there to boost the pressure and add the right chemical mix once, you can periodically redirect another one to keep it where you want it.

Oh, and Titan has less than half the gravity of Mars (0.14G vs 0.38G) but a much thicker atmosphere (1.5 bar vs 0.006 bar).

The real benefit to Earth will be sequestering and splitting and reusing CO2 on an industrial scale. If you have to do it there for domes and tunnels as a matter of survival, that tech can be scaled up and used on Earth.

I’ve never yet been at an SC where the 80% limit has been imposed, but I understand you can still manually override it by adjusting your slider back up above 80%. But I’ve also heard that at really busy sites at the busiest times of the year, the 80% limit is set, and it can’t be overridden. Maybe someone can confirm.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chuq and dronus
I’ve never yet been at an SC where the 80% limit has been imposed, but I understand you can still manually override it by adjusting your slider back up above 80%. But I’ve also heard that at really busy sites at the busiest times of the year, the 80% limit is set, and it can’t be overridden. Maybe someone can confirm.
My car charge limit was set to 100% when I got there (all 4 stalls empty, 1 guy leaving).

Once charging started, the limit changed itself to 80% with the notification. Cars started rolling up.

I could slide the charge limit back up to 100% (thought I’d test it).

I slid it back down to 80% and by the time the 4th stall had a car ireversing in it I unplugged circa 75% and left just in case someone else needed the charger and was going to get 0 stalls free as I had plenty.

There are some RAA chargers there too but they were full of BYDs. One was at 87% (can easily see the screen) and the guy was complaining about it being so slow (*sigh).

Reactions: Vostok and Jules22
If I recall correctly, you would also get a notification to this effect on the app on your phone - you could check your notification settings and ensure that you've allowed notifications from the Tesla app

Reactions: dronus
If I recall correctly, you would also get a notification to this effect on the app on your phone - you could check your notification settings and ensure that you've allowed notifications from the Tesla app
Yes that’s the notification I got. My iPhone is generally on silent tho, I just happened to be looking at the phone when the popup notification appeared.
In this instance it didn’t matter as I was only going to be there for maybe 10 mins but if I had walked away to go to the toilet or something thinking I could be 20 mins or so I would have accrued idle fees because my charge limit was at 100%, on a Sunday night in the cbd :)
Lesson learned, keep an eye out for notifications when supercharging :)

Reactions: Midnight Man
Charged at the Big Banana Coffs Harbour the other day. Terrible location (but that's another story) There are only two stalls, so anyone charging will use 50% of the stalls up, and get the high-usage limit. I just bumped it to 90% in the app, but have a two-stall site in this day and age is bonkers.
That is a temporary site that is only activated during peak periods.

I’ve never NOT been able to override the 80% reset even when on almost full sites - I’ve done it just to see because I’ve never needed more.

Charged at the Big Banana Coffs Harbour the other day. Terrible location (but that's another story) There are only two stalls, so anyone charging will use 50% of the stalls up, and get the high-usage limit. I just bumped it to 90% in the app, but have a two-stall site in this day and age is bonkers.
I also charged there on Sunday last week and there was another M3 there sitting idle. It was there when I showed up and there when I left. It's a weird spot though. Great view, but it's a long walk down/up a very steep hill to get a drink or use the bathroom!