Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes plus not too many cars doing 8L/100km highway driving. Most modern vehicles would be around 6L I reckon, at least our ICE ones do. Our VF commodore wagon 3.6L V6 does a pretty solid 7-8L/100kmh and it is old tech big engine.

Agreed that 8L/100km is too high for modern ICS cars at highway speeds.

$11.2/$2.2 (current petrol price around here) = 5L/100km where petrol costs less than the current 70c/kWh pricing. Of course, the petrol prices fluctuates a lot so that will vary on the day and where you are. At 6L/100km you would need petrol to fall below $11.2/6 = $1.87 for the petrol car to cost less. Ignoring other road costs / wear & tear of course.

$11.2/$2.2 (current petrol price around here) = 5L/100km where petrol costs less than the current 70c/kWh pricing. Of course, the petrol prices fluctuates a lot so that will vary on the day and where you are. At 6L/100km you would need petrol to fall below $11.2/6 = $1.87 for the petrol car to cost less. Ignoring other road costs / wear & tear of course.

This also assumes that all charging is done via paid DCFC charging. Even for people who don’t have off street parking, some of their charging is done via free AC charging at shopping centres, places of work, car parks etc. That lowers the average cost.

Few people exclusively charge using paid DCFCs.

A little birdy from a large well-known fast charging network told me their busiest, most consistently used sites are those installed in suburban shopping centres
Which is maybe one of the reasons Tesla has gone TOU at Macquarie and Broadway. I suspect some/lot of them are Uber because they are more of less guaranteed a charging spot and can charge quickly. Macquarie also has a lot of apartment living and Broadway is inner city with lots of apartments and older houses without garages.

I wish my local suburban can go paid DC, and get rid of the Free AC which is encouraging "non sharing" behaviour but this is in an area where residence has a double lock up garage.

little birdy from a large well-known fast charging network told me their busiest, most consistently used sites are those installed in suburban shopping centres.
Doesn't surprise me.. At say 50kW most would still be looking for a 30-45min charge, so makes sense to do it at a site where you can be doing something else productive.

Hopefully means they target more of these sites.. and also consider rolling out lots of AC chargers at these sites (even better ROI I'd think) and Tesla should be doing the same at its suburban sites.

The question for me is at what price point does charging become more expensive than flying? Since I've bought my car I've flown only once. Every other time I drove. I generally drive alone, so its 1:1 seat cost to charging cost for me. Obviously when you increase car occupants beyond one the equations flips heavily to driving.

Driving has become a lot more expensive lately! When I bought my car the QESH was free and Superchargers were only $0.42/kWh

Driving has become a lot more expensive lately!
From a general non personal point of view, Im an advocate of public transportation. The cheapest form of transportation is not private but public.
We can see that with air travel. Private air travel is always going to be more expensive than public (AKA commercial) air travel. I have cars because currently in most scenarios in Australia private car travel is much more time efficient than public surface transportation but overall public transportation would have put me in front financially.

I would rather government not spend to encourage uptake of private EV cars but into EV public transportation and charging infrastructure.

Reactions: Hairyman
From a general non personal point of view, Im an advocate of public transportation. The cheapest form of transportation is not private but public.
We can see that with air travel. Private air travel is always going to be more expensive than public (AKA commercial) air travel. I have cars because currently in most scenarios in Australia private car travel is much more time efficient than public surface transportation but overall public transportation would have put me in front financially.

I would rather government not spend to encourage uptake of private EV cars but into EV public transportation and charging infrastructure.

Public transport quite often works out more significantly more expensive when more than 1 person takes the journey together. Who in their right mind would take 4 people on the train from Sydney airport rather than catch an Uber?

Public transport quite often works out more significantly more expensive when more than 1 person takes the journey together. Who in their right mind would take 4 people on the train from Sydney airport rather than catch an Uber?
Taxis, Uber etc are generally considered public transport (as in "available to the public") anyway.

You're right though, it's cheaper for us as a family to take the car on a 800km road trip than to take the train (let alone go by air).

Reactions: Zoltrix77
So with Wagga now open and Yass under construction, was contemplating whether this might be the same crew or chain of crews working on sites in the essential energy footprint. Holbrook would be the obvious next one given that it is still earmarked for 2023. But for whatever reason I got curious about Albury which threw up some interesting findings. (Maybe due to refinding some local rag articles about 1.5 hour waits this past easter in Wodonga.)

Now we know from Drive NSW Electric funding announcements the address in Albury is 525 David Street Albury.

Confirming this location is a local article,
which refers to the private centres name as 'Myer Centrepoint'.

but searching this address also throws up this reference to the Wollongong Supercharger at Figtree Grove Shopping Centre.
Screenshot_20230922-063932.png

Now this address nor 'Myer Centrepoint' is not mentioned directly on the rendered page but if we delve into the page source we see this
Screenshot_20230922-063602.png

So there appears to be some relationship betweeen the two centres. Searching further we find
which indicates the centres are both managed by the same group.

Looking at the list of other centres managed by the group we find other existing and planned Tesla Supercharger sites,
Horsham Plaza
Figtree Grove Shopping Centre
Myer Centrepoint (Albury)
Manning Mall (Taree)

Taree is interesting as its Supercharger site was first known about due to council meeting notes. Looking at parking lot entry points though we see signs indicating parking at the mall might be council owned.
Screenshot_20230914-193137.png

So maybe this one is coincidental.

Albury and Figtree both have your typical conditions of entry style signs pointing to centre and not council owned parking.
Screenshot_20230914-193408.png
Screenshot_20230914-193751.png

The final interesting one in the list of managed properties is Mildura Central. With Tesla looking at sites in Gawler, SA, Hay NSW and Wagga for a Sturt Highway link to Adelaide, this site location looks like a prime candidate for Tesla to pursue with there prior relationship with the managing group.

The imbalance between eastern and western suburbs keeps growing.. 🥴. Granted we don’t have that many apartments/units in the west, but still some areas around Monee Ponds are pretty dense with only 4 stalls to serve them. I guess all the Tesla top brass live in the eastern suburbs 😂

1695718061550.jpeg

Reactions: AussieOwner
The imbalance between eastern and western suburbs keeps growing.. 🥴. Granted we don’t have that many apartments/units in the west, but still some areas around Monee Ponds are pretty dense with only 4 stalls to serve them. I guess all the Tesla top brass live in the eastern suburbs 😂
The demographic centre of Melbourne is around Malvern.