Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spread out the SC locations as much as possible.
Yeah, there will be quite a few smaller ones, but so far as traffic flow goes, often one large site is more efficient (there is an old thread here where someone did the maths). Also I'm talking about when every site is a big one. Like California if you only include sites which are 40+ stalls:

1702273919813.png

Attachments

• 1702273902822.png
    1702273902822.png
    521.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Informative
Reactions: mukaibot
40+ stalls:
Well the US scenario is slightly different the LA-SF highway is up to 8 lanes each way. And their population is 10x.

Also the one at Baker CA SC is monstrous including Tesla semi charging and with an Electrify America adjacent.

The size will eventually depend on power availability as well.

I wonder though, when will an EV charging only servo open?. What critical mass of % EV will need to occur first?

Well the US scenario is slightly different the LA-SF highway is up to 8 lanes each way. And their population is 10x.
Yeah, I'm just using it as an example as to how the scale up happens. Also, the first 40 stall site in California was 5 years ago. I predict there will be one of that size on the Hume within 2 years.

Yeah, I'm just using it as an example as to how the scale up happens. Also, the first 40 stall site in California was 5 years ago. I predict there will be one of that size on the Hume within 2 years.
The other half of the KFC south Goulburn lot has recently had its DA to subdivide approved, with the stated intention of selling the vacant(bar some car parking) site. It would make a great site for Tesla to purchase for a 40 stall supercharger.

I posted on this earlier and have even included an initial power analysis for them.

Wonder if any Supercharger project managers follow these threads...

Reactions: Hairyman
I shared this on social media, probably worth copying here too. Much of the info came via this post by @moa999:

----

With the announcement of the Rockhampton supercharger opening (mentioned here a few times now), it's worth calling back to a quote the contractors gave to someone asking "... and then the next install will be Bowen and Mackay."
If you're heading through the Whitsunday region, keep your eyes peeled! If you're after specifics, there are three places listed on the Queensland Govt EV Charging Funding list, which may or may not be Tesla:
  • Bowen - Woolworths - site says "Solders Rd", but the Woolies is the only real viable location
  • Mackay - Cnr Bucasia & Holts Rd - not sure which corner, but there appears to be a new development on north-east corner
  • Sarina - Unknown location - but its a small town. Maybe less likely because the contractors said Mackay, but spacing between Rockhampton and Bowen is more equal.
There was also this site that was on the list of Tesla addresses leaked a bit over a year ago. Might not be correct - but about 2/3 of the leaked addresses (so far) have turned out to be right.
  • Mackay - Ooralea Shopping Centre, Boundary Rd
It could also not be any of the listed addresses, but they are good places to look.

Map with context:

1702707238660.png

I forgot to mention, I was up in Taree last week, there's no sign of the proposed Supercharger in the heart of town yet...

I still maintain this is a bad location.

While it's close to lots of ammenities it's a long diversion from the highway. It's also only a moderate sized carpark for a large shopping precinct which during the day is generally packed. I don't think losing a large slab of the available parking will be popular with the locals.

I forgot to mention, I was up in Taree last week, there's no sign of the proposed Supercharger in the heart of town yet... I still maintain this is a bad location.

While it's close to lots of ammenities it's a long diversion from the highway. It's also only a moderate sized carpark for a large shopping precinct which during the day is generally packed. I don't think losing a large slab of the available parking will be popular with the locals.

The location is fine. I’ll use it. Don’t forget this is not just for the people on a mission to get to Brisbane or Sydney in minimum time, but also to serve the growing number of EV drivers in the region.

The open-air carpark from memory is a pretty decent size - around 200 cars 🤔

The other interesting question with these recently open chargers is availability for non-Teslas.

Rockhampton which received Qld Govt funding was immediately opened to all

Whereas Albury and Yass which received NSW Govt funding are Tesla only
And Holbrook which has no Govt funding has signs suggesting 3 stalls will be open, but is not available on the charge my non-Tesla app

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
The other interesting question with these recently open chargers is availability for non-Teslas.

Rockhampton which received Qld Govt funding was immediately opened to all

Whereas Albury and Yass which received NSW Govt funding are Tesla only
I'm guessing the funding conditions are different (hence why the QLD ones are open from day one?) - is there a QLD government guidelines & requirements document like there is for the NSW program?

So with both Thrumster and Hawthorn East opening today, that brings the total number of new sites opened so far this year to 26 (with 4 others under construction).

In the three previous years combined (2020 to 2022), they installed 25 new locations.

Clearly something has changed at the Tesla Australia charging team!

Let's hope this is their baseline and not a one-off year - here's to another 26 new sites in 2024!