Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just reviewing previous years end-of-year rushes - the latest date a SC has gone live in Australia has been the 24th (Knockrow, 24 Dec 2016). All others were 21st or earlier. So there's a good chance we're done for the year and the installation teams are on a well earned break!

Although I did say that on Friday morning and we then had four sites open that day!

Last Friday before Christmas - typically one of the busiest driving days - and it looks like the work on the Hume Hwy Superchargers has paid off. The only full/queueing sites right now are Wangaratta and Euroa.

The Pacific Hwy isn't faring so well, though - all the chargers are queuing from the Central Coast to Gold Coast, with the exception of the 2-stall sled at the Big Banana that hasn't appeared in the car maps yet.

Basically Victorian side of border didn't get any high capacity sites ready, the Wangaratta site was certainly the most disappointing site of the year. Pitty Benalla didn't get completed before the holiday season. Certainly each of the major towns along the Hume need at least 12 stalls. Goulburn is in need of a huge upgrade, or 2nd location, Gundagai the 2nd location, Seymour needs a site, Wangaratta needs a real site, Tarcutta needs a site.

It feels like each year we will get the. next year it will be better, yet more vehicles means it probably won't be for many years to come.

But, yes, the situation is certainly better tan the Pacific and Western/Dukes.

Last edited:
Been trying to watch the Hume situation today, look better than any recent holiday travel. Gundagai and Euroa still having queuing issues, but nowhere near the same extent, at most 10 minutes.

1:30pm Boxing Day:

Attachments

• 1703570027220.jpeg
    1703570027220.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 30
Last chance for Supercharger voting in the coming days?
Does anyone know when it closes?

Mildura is at No#6, what are the chances of getting it over the line?
If I smash all the social media, FB groups, etc like I did last time it should be easily possible. The ones I promoted last time got 100+ votes in a week and 200+ votes in two weeks.

Just a busy time of year and I haven’t got around to it!

Not sure if I should include other locations in the “voting block”, or wait until January and do it properly!

Been trying to watch the Hume situation today, look better than any recent holiday travel. Gundagai and Euroa still having queuing issues, but nowhere near the same extent, at most 10 minutes.
I’ve just returned from a Melbourne-Albury-Sydney-Albury-Melbourne trip over the Xmas rush. I tried as many chargers as I could even if I didn’t need a charge because I wanted to learn them and their ins and outs and what was around them etc.

I have the following to report:

TL;DR: Awesome easy drive, heaps of charging, needed to live it to believe it over a holiday weekend. :)

Superchargers:

Euroa: was an early build, 130kW shared x2, 6 stalls, a couple of blocks walk to regular timed food (not 24/7). Off highway, but not a far off detour. Near full most of the time. Seriously needs an upgrade.

Albury/Wodonga: sorry, not assessed as I had destination charging at Albury overnight.

Holbrook: brand new. Charged there both ways. Almost empty on the way up and half full on the way back on Boxing Day. Some non-Tesla bays. No toilets. No nothing. A couple of blocks walk to the main drag where there may be something open.

Gundagai: same old early 6 stall 130kW shared site; constantly showing as 5min wait on app but had sites available when I arrived. Oliver’s food available. On highway.

Yass: Brand new 16 stall site, never saw it full. Back of a pub, but don’t know about facilities outside pub hours. A long detour off highway, however,

Goulburn: old site, long detour off highway, food a couple of blocks away during normal hours.

Exeter: busy 6 stall site next to Hearthbrae pie shop. Recommend, but it was the only only one showing “busy” on the screen when I rolled in but it turned out there were 2 stalls available and while I ate my pie there continued to be vacancies with Teslas coming and going.

Campbelltown: this one was quiet. If you need a charge close to Sydney, it’s not far off the motorway.

Non-Superchargers;

I wanted to charge at Evie chargers out of principle because my Novated Lease financier gave me $1000 of free Evie charging which I hadn’t used because I usually charge at home.

This proved problematic.

Avenel was ok (2x350kW)

Tarcutta also had 2x350kW, one of which was showing available when I turned off the highway- as soon as I plugged in, a Polestar drove in. As I didn’t need a charge, I ran over to them and told them I would leave because I didn’t need a charge. They were thankful.

Sutton Forest (Exeter) had a 4-stall Evie which I used (although the obligatory 1 Tritium was out of service).

Campbelltown had a 2 stall which was full.

So, taking a non-Tesla on this same trip would have been more stressful. Although some (not all) of the Superchargers now have some non-Tesla bays, but non-Tesla drivers don’t seem to know this yet as they were queueing up at the other chargers.

There were some other non-Tesla chargers that I didn’t check out near Sydney such as Pheasants Nest and Marulan.

Last edited:
I also was interested to note that watching the number of “supercharger bays available” on the main screen of the Tesla is not entirely accurate. I also had my iPhone sitting in its charging cradle sometimes showing supercharger availability. Didn’t always agree. Not sure of the refresh rate, as when I finally drove in, neither were correct.

Exeter was a good example coming out of Sydney on Boxing Day. Even at 5km to run from the exit, the car was showing a wait time. I almost skipped the exit on that basis. But I turned in anyway and 3 of 6 were available.

Last edited:
I also was interested to note that watching the number of “supercharger bays available” on the main screen of the Tesla is not entirely accurate.
I found that yesterday also when navigating to a busy supercharger (Macquarie Centre, Sydney). To get a refreshed/accurate count of bays available I had to tap on the Supercharger icon on the map to bring up the pop-up information panel about the charger, and then it updated the count of available bays both in the pop-up and on the map itself. Without doing that, the count didn’t seem to update (maybe not at all, maybe just really infrequently).

I’ve just returned from a Melbourne-Albury-Sydney-Albury-Melbourne trip over the Xmas rush. I tried as many chargers as I could even if I didn’t need a charge because I wanted to learn them and their ins and outs and what was around them etc.

TL;DR: Awesome easy drive, heaps of charging, needed to live it to believe it over a holiday weekend. :)

By the accounts I’ve read, trips north of Sydney didn’t fare nearly as well. Build activity hasn’t been as frantic as it has been on the Hume. Hopefully that will change in 2024, there‘s a lot in the pipeline.

I found that yesterday also when navigating to a busy supercharger (Macquarie Centre, Sydney). To get a refreshed/accurate count of bays available I had to tap on the Supercharger icon on the map to bring up the pop-up information panel about the charger, and then it updated the count of available bays both in the pop-up and on the map itself. Without doing that, the count didn’t seem to update (maybe not at all, maybe just really infrequently).

That’s always been the case as long as I’ve known. Don’t rely on passive ‘push’ updates to the map, as you say they are infrequent or possibly don’t even occur until you interact with the screen in some way (I also don’t have premium connectivity, so I wonder if that affects whether push updates happen or not?).

So initiate the update yourself by taking an action. Tapping on a Supercharger icon is the best way.

Reactions: GeoQuack
By the accounts I’ve read, trips north of Sydney didn’t fare nearly as well. Build activity hasn’t been as frantic as it has been on the Hume. Hopefully that will change in 2024, there‘s a lot in the pipeline.
Heatherbrae on Sunday had queueing. We arrived and were 7th in line. There were two guys from a traffic management company recording arrivals and then advising who was next to a charger.
Quite civilised, but more chargers and shorter waits would have been nice.
Charged on AC at my father's house so we could get to Central Coast on the way back yesterday. Looked like 6 or so waiting as we drove past.
Definitely need to fill the gap between Heatherbrae and Port Macquarie.

they just don't want to pay the higher price.
And not eligible for holiday 50% TOU discount at the ones open to non tesla for the ones I've checked - not that they will know

A one month subscription fee of $10 is equivalent to 66kWh of supercharging assuming the current difference of 15c/kWh
That's suggests a 350-400km breakeven

Last edited:
And not eligible for holiday 50% TOU discount at the ones open to non tesla for the ones I've checked - not that they will know
Only sites on the Hume/ Pacific are seemingly eligible for the Holiday TOU..

Non-Tesla ones with a discount are thus Albury, Yass and Port Macquarie Thrumster.

Don't think any of the city sites with regular TOU are part of the non-Tesla program.

Reactions: cafz and Quickst