Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maryborough West is not on the list of proposed sites to vote for.
Presumably 'Maryborough West' is a site you have nominated via the 'Suggest New Location'. There is no visibility into which sites have been suggested via 'Suggest New Location' option and is not, at least at this stage, something that is being proposed to co-ordinate suggestions for.
You are correct, Maryborough West is a site that I believe is needed and have nominated. However, if more people nominate it as a site, then Tesla will look at it.

Just like the last round ended (and this one started) as I was in the middle of driving from Kalgoorlie to Broad Arrow, this round ended just as I’m at the start of a 3 day trip away with my kids!

Typically the sites in the voting block are sites which Tesla wouldn’t have much data for (e.g. regional/remote), and I try to distribute them around different states (i.e. one location per state each round).

Given that, I would consider:

* Port Wakefield, SA (over Victor Harbor)
* Narranderra, NSW (over Braidwood)
* Campbell Town, Tas

Not sure about Leongatha (Vic has received 3 so far)
Not sure about Cannington (typically don’t select urban are excluded, but WA is fairly poorly covered)
Not sure about the Qld ones (all are urban, but conscious that Qld hasn’t had any sites yet)
Given my distinct preference for facilitating long distance road trips, I totally agree with Port Wakefield SA, Narranderra NSW and Campbell Town TAS. After that, I'm inclined to vote for anything that isn't in or super close to a capital city. Those sites would be any two out of Braidwood, Victor Harbor and Leongatha.
As a sandgroper, I'll definitely not be voting for Cannington since in my opinion voting for urban sites is just a waste.

Often capital cities are on the road trip route between two other places, though.

Eg. Trips between the NSW north coast and southern NSW / Victoria will go through Sydney metro;' trips to the NSW snowfields will generally go through Canberra; Brisbane and the Gold Coast are generally on the way to coastal Queensland up to Bundaberg; Melbourne is on the route to the Mornington Peninsula.

Trips between the NSW north coast and southern NSW / Victoria will go through Sydney metro;

I would suggest better to completely bypass Sydney street traffic for any trip that involves going through Sydney such as to the snow or South coast. The traffic is not worth it. Additionally coming off tollways around Sydney to charge then rejoin tollways might be more expensive than going straight through. (I haven't checked the prices).

Better to charge before and after Sydney Tollways.

Tuggerah SC and the Ampcharge at Gosford not a bad idea as it's just off the highway and not yet at the tollways.

But outside of cities I absolutely agree that SC should be co located in regional towns - Yass is a good example

Last edited:
Agree. That was the whole point of superchargers in the first place - to facilitate long distance travel and dispel the notion that EV cannot travel long distances

And yet a little birdy told me last year that the most heavily and consistently used Evie sites are the ones in suburban shopping centres in the capital cities.

I was driving near the Tramsheds late today, and noticed the new 4-stall Supercharger there was showing a wait time of 10 minutes 🤷‍♂️.

Superchargers facilitate long distance travel, but DCFCs are also very much needed in the cities to serve people without offstreet parking (as I directly experienced for nearly 2 months last year), people in apartments, and for those just passing through.

As a sandgroper, I'll definitely not be voting for Cannington since in my opinion voting for urban sites is just a waste.
Thanks @Murbs - I was worried that the WA gang wouldn’t be supportive of a voting list without it in it! I’m considering: Port Wakefield, Campbell Town, Narrandera, Leongatha, Ipswich. (Yeah, Ipswich is urban, but its peripheral to Brisbane - connects to the highways to Toowoomba and Warwick - and Qld has never had a SC vote winning site.)

Last edited:
And yet a little birdy told me last year that the most heavily and consistently used Evie sites are the ones in suburban shopping centres in the capital cities.
I would say the most heavily and consistently used chargers are the free AC ones in suburban shopping centres in the capital cities.

The permanent solution for apartment living is not supercharging/DCFC but more AC charging in apartments.

Shopping centre DCFC is not the best setup for apartment living

Last edited:
This was my comment to the suburban supercharger issue on the Whirlpool forum -

"Fortitude Valley (Brisbane Service Centre) has 4 stalls with max 125kW and they are not easy to access.

The North Lakes installation is progressing very slowly for some unknown reason. They will be very handy for highway trips but of little use to the many thousands of inner northside residents who live in units, villas and townhouses with Body Corporates to fight for charging facilities. Have a look at the Chermside precinct alone for the sheer density of units.

The RACQ fast chargers transferred from Toombul to Carseldine have been very unreliable for weeks now (Tritium of course). Today 1 fast charger is shown as ok as is the 50kW one – many days both "fast" are u/s.

Kedron will certainly be high on my voting list even though I have home charging."

In addition - driving home (Bridgeman Downs) from the New England SC Tenterfield gets me home. Ditto Gympie SC on the northern M1 and Knockrow SC from the south. Toowoomba SC covers the western approach. It is only actually in Brisbane itself that visitors will have trouble.

I would say the most heavily and consistently used chargers are the free AC ones in suburban shopping centres in the capital cities.

I wasn’t talking about AC chargers, was I, or even exclusively about people who live in apartments, but also people who don’t have offstreet parking, or transiting an area.

The fact is, a lot of people are choosing to pay 60c/kWh+ at these sites to charge their vehicles quickly. Gee, maybe they are doing that for a reason?

The permanent solution for apartment living is not supercharging/DCFC but more AC charging in apartments. Shopping centre DCFC is not the best setup for apartment living

Having had to live through 7 weeks of not being able to charge at home last year, the fast chargers at shopping centres were a life saver. The charging time was closely aligned to the task time (grocery shopping) and quickly became the routine that worked for us. AC charging would have been hopeless for that. What, leave the car there for 6+ hours while we somehow get the groceries home then come back to get the car? Seriously?

AC charging at apartments is something that will be needed, but clearly that is not going to happen at every existing apartment for decades. So what’s your solution in the meantime?

I wasn’t talking about AC chargers, was I,
So what?. You mentioned shopping centre superchargers but chose to ignore the other major charging that currently occurs atshopping centre
The fact is, a lot of people are choosing to pay 60c/kWh+ at these sites
And a lot of people choose not to pay anything and charge using free shopping centre chargers. Macquarie SC and surrounding AC chargers are a case in point.

clearly that is not going to happen at every existing apartment for decades. So what’s your solution in the meantime?
More AC charging!. which can/should be installed at much larger scale than Superchargers. Additionally electricity grid issues would possibly be a lot less problematic for mass AC charging than DC charging

Last edited:
So what?. You mentioned shopping centre superchargers but chose to ignore the other major charging that currently occurs atshopping centre

And a lot of people choose not to pay anything and charge using free shopping centre chargers. Macquarie SC and surrounding AC chargers are a case in point.

More AC charging!. which can/should be installed at much larger scale than Superchargers. Additionally electricity grid issues would possibly be a lot less problematic for mass AC charging than DC charging

The free shopping centre parking is out of control. No free chargers, its human nature to get somthing for free if you can. 30c/kWh is probably a fair price to stop people charging pureley because its free. Take my local shopping centre, if you NEED a charge, then you have stalk a spot.

most heavily and consistently used chargers are the free AC ones in suburban shopping centres in the capital cities.
How much of that is freeloader effect though??

If the shopping centre chargers were 40-50c/kWh (which seems to be the going commercial rate for new installs) would there be the same usage v.a.v a soon to be 58c/kWh rate at the slower 50-75kW Evie chargers.

Best case study for this at the moment is probably in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.
Very few free supermarket chargers (one type 2 and a handful of type 1 in Westfield Bondi plus paid valet Tesla chargers, but lots of non-free pole chargers from council on Chargefox and Intellihub in Exploren, plus three paid Evie sites (two in malls).
All seem to get usage, but the Evie chargers probably most busy but suspect a mostly more convenient location also plays a part.

Reactions: Vostok
So what?. You mentioned shopping centre superchargers but chose to ignore the other major charging that currently occurs at shopping centre

Because that is completely irrelevant. This thread is about Superchargers, not AC chargers. I made the point the most often used Evie chargers (almost all of which are DC chargers) are those in suburban shopping centres, to point out that DCFCs aren’t just about enabling long distance travel but also to support the growing number of EVs in the cities that can’t charge at home. The Superchargers at Broadway are Tesla’s busiest, now Tramsheds is being hammered as well it seems.

You don’t seem to get it. AC charging at shopping centres is opportunistic, especially the free ones. It’s a completely different use case. Who is going to leave their car at a shopping centre all day on an AC charger to fill up if they can’t charge at home? They don’t - they will use a DCFC. Like we did when we didn’t have a garage for 2 months. This fact seems to irritate you for some reason.

Reactions: Zoltrix77
Best case study for this at the moment is probably in the eastern suburbs of Sydney.
I use the Macquarie example. SC in the shopping centre and the public AC at the Uni. The AC just as busy as the SC.

The price is the price. For some reason people are very price sensitive when it comes to these matters. Of course if the price is the same, people will charge at the faster one (all other factors the the same).

But the point is irrespective of the supercharging speed, mass AC chargers where people live and for that matter work will always trump superchargers -basically where cars are parked for long periods.

Superchargers are best for people on the move - highways in particular.

I think Mildura is a great result specifically for that reason. Tesla doesn't like to build isolated superchargers. By building Mildura it will mean that they will also build places like Berri, Balranald, and perhaps Wycheproof. Three/four sites for the price of one! We may not even need to nominate/vote for those ones, they'll happen naturally now.

(I should add - not my idea - this is the TOCWA tactic for getting the Nullarbor done. They're actively nominating Norseman and Ceduna, which are 360 km and 450 km respectively from the last site. This will "inspire"/"force" Tesla to build in between.)

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with more DCFC in rural towns. While in the city there may be a congestion issue, there are many places you simply can't even drive to due to the lack of chargers. Further there are places you can drive to, but are high risk due to only having 1 NRMA charger available. Should that not be working you are SOL with next closest chargers being >100km away.

Great example is Parkes with it's single stall NRMA DCFC charger being offline for months (I understand not NRMA's fault). I was recently in Condobolin, but couldn't have made the trip had the place I was at not been ok with me 2kw AC charging during the stay. Even with a LR model I'd have been struggling to make it return to the Orange NRMA charger at the speed limit.

I also find it strange that there's not many fast on the west side of the Blue Mountains. Plenty just before you start (when you still have high battery charge), but when you're actually ready to start accepting charge around Blackheath/Lithgow it seems to be very limited in choice. This is extra strange since you have to then jump to Mudgee before anything becomes available if you head north.