Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Southern California (location speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait. I had to stare at it and then refresh my browser just to be sure I was seeing it correctly but does this state that Tesla is planning to put a Supercharger in Del Mar, CA... just a couple blocks from my home... in one of the busiest, most congested coastal areas in all of San Diego? https://www.tesla.com/findus#/bounds/34.0195141,-117.275174,33.872517,-117.523882,d?place=delmarcaliforniasupercharger&search=store,service,supercharger,destination charger

I'm also in Del Mar so my guess is either DM Highlands (close to the Volta chargers?) or further up by the Trader Joes (Chargepoint chargers).

Could be.

Up here many new superchargers are being dropped in Target parking lots. Hence my question.

Let me state with certainty then that they do not refer to an actual Target store - check a random assortment of them, many if not all say "Target." The closest Target store to Del Mar is Encinitas, about 8 miles away. Unfortunately down in SoCal very few SCs are anywhere near a Target store.

Now that I better understand that Tesla pin on the map isn't exact I am thinking the Del Mar, CA location is likely to be near the Del Mar Fairgrounds as they will have the power infrastructure already piped into the area, space and some food/restrooms nearby. Not to many other locations to put a SC in the actual city of Del Mar. Del Mar is very small (4111 residents) so unless Tesla's pin on the map ends up in a totally different zip code there are really no other alternatives that I can think of. Via De La Valle is actually very efficient most of the year considering the amount of flow it has to endure. Only during the 4 weeks of the DM Fair is it really impacted especially now that horse racing has seen such a downturn in attendance. I'm now wondering if Tesla might put the SC in that front parking lot at the Hilton Hotel on Jimmy Durante Blvd... Right next to Denny's. the Fish Market and two service stations with snacks not to mention the Hiton itself. Plus there is a public golf driving range no two hundred yards away. Hmmm

As for the Vista location, how about the parking lot of the Target off the 78 and El Camino Real? They have EVGO DC chargers, lots of open parking lot space, and active construction, so can the infrastructure relatively easily.

some of the locations added with the recent map update (this includes Nothern California as well)
Adin, CA
Almaden, CA
Antioch, CA
Big Sur, CA
Bishop, CA
Carmel Mountain, CA
Chino Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Greenville, CA
Livermore, CA
Los Altos, CA
Marina Del Rey, CA
Mariposa, CA
Montebello, CA
Newell, CA
Ojai, CA
Pacific Palisades, CA
Palm Springs, CA
Rohnert Park, CA
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley)
San Jose (South), CA
San Ysidro, CA
Sonora, CA
Susanville, CA
Watsonville, CA
Westwood, CA
Williams, CA
Woodland, CA

This update brings number of "Coming Soon" chargers to (as of May 20, 2018):
CA - 126
USA - 485
Worldwide - 1021

Bishop. That would be really nice. Could use that for a good charge before heading up the hill. They tried that a few time several years ago and had no takers. Perhaps the locals are starting to see the pile-ups above and below them and are starting to see the light.
Westwood, assuming to be Wilshire and the 405, will be tough, as that is a very crowded intersection. Impassable during rush hour. Would be welcome nonetheless.
I imaging that Costa Mesa will also be by the 405, likely near the 55. Would be fantastic.

So I guess they gave up on Santa Barbara.

What, no love for Torrance, Long Beach, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach?

During a drive from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica and back yesterday, I saw dozens of Teslas on the road. It became almost comical.

This included a path through the beach cities and west of LAX - the locals corridor, if you will, since no self-respecting local would be caught dead on the 405 after 2pm. Just saying.

That one SC site at Santa Monica Boulevard and 14th Street ain't gonna cut it for the west side. Although rumor has it there will be some relief coming for Westwood/Brentwood. As comical as that may sound. Hey, in a few years when people start giving their pre-owned S/X to their kids, there will be more and more of these chariots adjacent college campuses (see Westwood) - and few of those new owners will be garaged.

Urban chargers will become revenue generators. Hence, in part, the race for the best remaining real estate - the difference being that people will *want* to use urban SCs versus those lowly L2s at CVS and elsewhere. Hey, even Whole Foods has gotten into the act with ChaDeMo/L2 pairings hereabouts.

And so it goes.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Bishop. That would be really nice. Could use that for a good charge before heading up the hill. They tried that a few time several years ago and had no takers. Perhaps the locals are starting to see the pile-ups above and below them and are starting to see the light.
Westwood, assuming to be Wilshire and the 405, will be tough, as that is a very crowded intersection. Impassable during rush hour. Would be welcome nonetheless.
I imaging that Costa Mesa will also be by the 405, likely near the 55. Would be fantastic.

The Westwood that is pinned on the map is not the city named Westwood, which is east of Red Bluff on SR 36 near Chester. This particular Westwood is really part of West El Lay and home to Southern Branch.

I wonder if the Tesla Supercharger Planning Department ever leaves their plush offices in the Bay Area. Newell, Adin, and Greenville for Superchargers? Really? Newell is only about 40 miles south of K-Falls. Adin is another 35 miles or so south of Newell. Both communities have zero, zip, zilch, nada in terms of amenities or other redeeming virtues for anyone to spend 15-40 minutes plugged in. Greenville is slightly better with an old-fashioned downtown on SR89. If the planned Supercharger goes into Redding, there is no need for Adin. Alturas would make more sense.

At least they figured out that Susanville was necessary. Thank goodness for that.

The Westwood that is pinned on the map is not the city named Westwood, which is east of Red Bluff on SR 36 near Chester. This particular Westwood is really part of West El Lay and home to Southern Branch.

I wonder if the Tesla Supercharger Planning Department ever leaves their plush offices in the Bay Area. Newell, Adin, and Greenville for Superchargers? Really? Newell is only about 40 miles south of K-Falls. Adin is another 35 miles or so south of Newell. Both communities have zero, zip, zilch, nada in terms of amenities or other redeeming virtues for anyone to spend 15-40 minutes plugged in. Greenville is slightly better with an old-fashioned downtown on SR89. If the planned Supercharger goes into Redding, there is no need for Adin. Alturas would make more sense.

At least they figured out that Susanville was necessary. Thank goodness for that.
I already posted about this in the Northern CA thread. I agree that Susanville and Alturas would have been fine and definitely would have made more sense than Adin/Newell/Greenville. I'm not even sure the electricity infrastructure would be sufficient in some of those towns.

some of the locations added with the recent map update (this includes Nothern California as well)
Adin, CA
Almaden, CA
Antioch, CA
Big Sur, CA
Bishop, CA
Carmel Mountain, CA
Chino Hills, CA
Costa Mesa, CA
Greenville, CA
Livermore, CA
Los Altos, CA
Marina Del Rey, CA
Mariposa, CA
Montebello, CA
Newell, CA
Ojai, CA
Pacific Palisades, CA
Palm Springs, CA
Rohnert Park, CA
San Diego, CA (Mission Valley)
San Jose (South), CA
San Ysidro, CA
Sonora, CA
Susanville, CA
Watsonville, CA
Westwood, CA
Williams, CA
Woodland, CA

This update brings number of "Coming Soon" chargers to (as of May 20, 2018):
CA - 126
USA - 485
Worldwide - 1021

I wonder which other cities besides Garden Grove were removed when they made that update.

I was told Santa Barbara doesn’t want one built in there city.
I’m not disputing that you heard that from someone. But given the high percentage of wealthy residents in that city, and the likely relatively large number of Tesla owners, it seems implausible that the city of Santa Barbara would not allow the construction of a Supercharger location.

Who told you that?

So I guess they gave up on Santa Barbara.

What, no love for Torrance, Long Beach, El Segundo and Manhattan Beach?

During a drive from Redondo Beach to Santa Monica and back yesterday, I saw dozens of Teslas on the road. It became almost comical.

This included a path through the beach cities and west of LAX - the locals corridor, if you will, since no self-respecting local would be caught dead on the 405 after 2pm. Just saying.

That one SC site at Santa Monica Boulevard and 14th Street ain't gonna cut it for the west side. Although rumor has it there will be some relief coming for Westwood/Brentwood. As comical as that may sound. Hey, in a few years when people start giving their pre-owned S/X to their kids, there will be more and more of these chariots adjacent college campuses (see Westwood) - and few of those new owners will be garaged.

Urban chargers will become revenue generators. Hence, in part, the race for the best remaining real estate - the difference being that people will *want* to use urban SCs versus those lowly L2s at CVS and elsewhere. Hey, even Whole Foods has gotten into the act with ChaDeMo/L2 pairings hereabouts.

And so it goes.
The Marine supercharge gets a lot of Torrance / Redondo Beach cars. Always full. I mostly charge at home anyway but sometimes I like to check in there. A good spot in Torrance would be the 405/Chrenshaw off ramp. Empty lot where Dennys used to be.

The Marine supercharge gets a lot of Torrance / Redondo Beach cars. Always full. I mostly charge at home anyway but sometimes I like to check in there. A good spot in Torrance would be the 405/Chrenshaw off ramp. Empty lot where Dennys used to be.
Another vote for a supercharger along the 405 in the South Bay. There's a 30 mile gap between the Marine charger and Fountain Valley down south no to mention up and down the 110.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones