Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging for an Early Model S - Can't Tesla do the right thing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The original owner opted not to help support the build out of super chargers, A choice he could make. Tesla has no obligation to suddenly start giving it to people. And, I am certain that you're charging would be free unlimited for life, as that's what the car was sold as, should a person upgrade to the option to supercharge.

I get where you're coming from, I've been frustrated with Tesla more than a few times, but this is the position from long ago. They don't change easily! They are a very top heavy organization, with Elon Musk deciding pretty much everything. It's just what is.

As to whether the 2500 is worth it to you, you'd have to decide how many trips you might take where you would supercharge. A 60 isn't really a great road car anyway, with the range being somewhat limited. However, it would make a nice City car. I think you are correct in just not paying for supercharging and using it around town.

Alternatively you could pay somebody like 057 tech to put a 100 KWh battery in it. That would make it exceptionally useful, but you'd be out a whole bunch more money again. With the used prices of Tesla's coming down, it's probably wiser just to buy one that has all the options you want.

One other thing, 057 tech and recell both have warranties for the Tesla batteries. Might be worth it to you. Especially if you do go for the supercharging option.
I'm just not going to take any trips in it. I bought the car with the intention of charging it once a month for my wife's 6 mile round trip commute. Boy does this thing drink electrons just sitting there. I lose about 6 miles in 24 hours. Supercharging was always a bonus, I was not aware that I couldn't use PAYG for that.

I'm not going to dump 20k into a 160k mile Model S. I bought the car expecting to get two years of use out of it and reselling or trading it for a different EV. I wasn't planning on buying a Tesla, for a number of reasons, but I couldn't pass up the value at roughly 11k before incentives. The car has grown on me, but not the company, they're very rigid as you say.

I have no problem with Tesla sticking to their original pricing for the option. (Afterall, they did include the necessary hardware in the vehicle at no cost to the original owner.) At least part of it goes to their standard of treating all customers equally. (If they made it free now, how many people that paid for it recently would have a fit, and demand a refund?) They haven't even raised the price to account for inflation over the past decade...

Another option would be to check and see if you can get the CCS retrofit installed for the normal ~$450. (It wouldn't give access to the Supercharger network, not even at MagicDock locations from what I understand, but it would give you access to a lot of other fast charging options.)

The OP was told, just over a month ago, that the $2,500 would include FUSC. (Which at some point you might be able to transfer to 6 years of free Supercharging to a new vehicle, if they offer that again.)

That's why I brought up the recent decision to open the network to competitors. That decision was ok, but stiffing existing owners for the same functionality? Again, if FUSC is included in that cost, it makes sense. If that's the case, I still think it's foolish for them not to offer an alternative PAYG option for less money. It still holds up the original deal (thus no ticked off customers that just paid for the FUSC), and nets them more money.

The original deal was FUSC for $2,000 as built, or $2,500 after the fact. The OP, and I, is not asking for that, he's asking for PAYG access. Tesla Service told me twice that FUSC was not included in that $2,500, if it was, it's still not worth it for me, but it might be for someone else.

Reactions: henderrj
Either pony up and pay the $2500 to enable the DCFC hardware or accept your self inflicted mistake and move on. Contorting yourself into some position where you can convince yourself it’s possible to claim the moral high ground isn’t gonna change the outcome.
No contortion required. I don't see myself as on moral high ground in this scenario (unless this is directed at OP, then ignore this).

I'm looking at it from a business perspective with positive PR/Spin. Tesla has an opportunity to look good and make more money. As it is now, they're making bupkis on my car, they could be making something (albeit, a small something) for very little work. In the current market of increasing EV competition, they would just add another tick mark to the reasons to buy a Tesla.

You laugh now. Tesla had a head start, but they should be conscious enough not to become the hare. General vehicle buyers have and will buy other makes/models.

Tesla's market share of U.S. EV sales dropped nearly 10 percentage points from a year ago to represent 60% of electric vehicles domestically sold, according to the data from Motor Intelligence.

Last edited:
You laugh now. Tesla had a head start, but they should be conscious enough not to become the hare. General vehicle buyers have and will buy other makes/models.

Giving some dude from over a decade ago pay as you go charging does absolutely nothing from a PR standpoint

Giving some dude from over a decade ago pay as you go charging does absolutely nothing from a PR standpoint
Sure it does, if you make it. That was my point, it's not about the one guy, it's about the perception that the company is supporting customers long term. Think bigger picture. Marketing is predisposing a perspective, ask Apple. It's not about me or the OP, it's about the customer on the fence of buying a Tesla. Bonus, it fits the whole Tesla ethos and it basically costs nothing to boot.

They're going to spend a bunch of money retrofitting existing infrastructure to allow their competitors to use their network, but not allow customers already in the ecosystem to use it. I'm just pointing out the silliness of that situation.

I'm fully aware that they don't have to do anything. I was offering an alternative, positive spin to how it could be handled. I don't need supercharging, I would like supercharging, but I'm not gonna pay $2,500 to do it. Tesla won't get any money from me (updates, or charging revenue), and I'm sure they're ok with that. I was offering a way for them to capitalize on some revenue from owners like me.

I made an appointment with the service center yesterday and I am told the current price is $12,000.
I asked why it was $2500 all these 10 years for my 2013 model up until this reason posting then suddenly ~600% increase. (I referenced this posting)
They said they can't verify the conversation on this forum has factual pricing and the $12 K is the current price.

I made an appointment with the service center yesterday and I am told the current price is $12,000.
I asked why it was $2500 all these 10 years for my 2013 model up until this reason posting then suddenly ~600% increase. (I referenced this posting)
They said they can't verify the conversation on this forum has factual pricing and the $12 K is the current price.
Sell it, buy something other than a Tesla. Done

TBH that sounds like BS. I'd schedule another appointment at a different service center. Bet you get a different answer. What parts/actions were listed on the cost estimate?

TBH that sounds like BS. I'd schedule another appointment at a different service center. Bet you get a different answer. What parts/actions were listed on the cost estimate?
I asked but they didn't give me the actual estimate.
Earlier they said:
Hello, you should be able to purchase suppercharger access via MyTesla account (this is not correct, the upgrade option disappeared a while ago)
We can send you an estimate in case you want to purchase is in service. The cost is about $12,000, the vehicle will have unlimited supercharging unless the vehicle was purchased as a whole sale or the vehicle was cycled back in Tesla inventory as some point.
Later they said: the pricing provided is directly from Tesla. Unfortunately we are not able to change the price.
If I go to a different service center, they can still see a history of this discussion?

I asked but they didn't give me the actual estimate.
Earlier they said:
Hello, you should be able to purchase suppercharger access via MyTesla account (this is not correct, the upgrade option disappeared a while ago)
We can send you an estimate in case you want to purchase is in service. The cost is about $12,000, the vehicle will have unlimited supercharging unless the vehicle was purchased as a whole sale or the vehicle was cycled back in Tesla inventory as some point.
Later they said: the pricing provided is directly from Tesla. Unfortunately we are not able to change the price.
If I go to a different service center, they can still see a history of this discussion?
They should be able to see that discussion, I'd imagine it's linked to the VIN in their system, much like service history in my dealer's system. Seems egregious to me, but so does $2500 for PAYG access.

Seems strange because I have a Tesla that originally came with unlimited supercharging changed to pay as you go supercharging and Tesla will not give me unlimited supercharging for any price. So basically the exact opposite as you. Pay as you go supercharging on cars that originally came with unlimited is definitely possible - usually a case of someone trading it in to Tesla and then Tesla selling it again as a pay per use supercharging - so I doubt it's a software limitation as they've actively done it for many cars.

That said, Tesla is not a very customer-service oriented company. Their service centres generally suck, and not too many knowledgeable third party body shops to deal with Tesla. I wouldn't recommend Tesla's when the market catches up unless you're happy with their lack of service. I remember back in the day they refused to sell you parts for your own vehicle for easy do it yourself repairs and you'd have to buy parts exclusively from people dismantling Tesla's.

I love the product when it works, but hate their anti-consumer practices. Almost every time I go to a service centre someone is fighting with them.

Seems strange because I have a Tesla that originally came with unlimited supercharging changed to pay as you go supercharging and Tesla will not give me unlimited supercharging for any price. So basically the exact opposite as you. Pay as you go supercharging on cars that originally came with unlimited is definitely possible - usually a case of someone trading it in to Tesla and then Tesla selling it again as a pay per use supercharging - so I doubt it's a software limitation as they've actively done it for many cars.

That said, Tesla is not a very customer-service oriented company. Their service centres generally suck, and not too many knowledgeable third party body shops to deal with Tesla. I wouldn't recommend Tesla's when the market catches up unless you're happy with their lack of service. I remember back in the day they refused to sell you parts for your own vehicle for easy do it yourself repairs and you'd have to buy parts exclusively from people dismantling Tesla's.

I love the product when it works, but hate their anti-consumer practices. Almost every time I go to a service centre someone is fighting with them.
I couldn't comment on their service center as I've never needed to go.. Ford was always very nice and they've had my car many times for long stretches of time with no loaner but yes very cordial

One of the things Tesla management is not considering is what this sort of behavior does to the service personnel themselves. Who wants to work there when you get yelled at all day long? It's going to cause more problems with morale, which will cause bad repairs, which would cause more customer complaints, which will escalate. Unfortunately Elon Musk's emotional difficulties have filtered all through management.. Until someone is willing to step up and tell him no, I don't see much change happening.

Last edited:
One of the things Tesla management is not considering is what this sort of behavior does to the service personnel themselves. Who wants to work there when you get yelled at all day long? It's going to cause more problems with morale, which will cause bad repairs, which would cause more customer complaints, which will escalate. Unfortunately Elon Musk's emotional difficulties have filtered all through management.. Until someone is willing to step up and tell him no, I don't see much change happening.

I've been to their service centers *a lot* over the years driving the 2012 Model S. It's definitely gotten worse over the years as they've got more sales. They do things that hurt the consumer and pretend they're doing the consumer a favour. Like not being able to talk to a live person to order parts is supposed to be some of this new technology we're supposed to be thankful for.

At least now they sell us parts. Hopefully one day they figure out their customer service. From my experience, the technicians are already basically all entry level mechanics/students on their first jobs. They never try to diagnose the issue, only replace all the parts even if it can be repaired. It works great if you're under warranty (car is constantly getting new parts) but when you're out of warranty they quote you $3000 for a repair that can be done at an independent shop for $150 because they don't actually know what the problem is - happened to me with my air suspension. They wanted to replace everything, charged me a $210 diagnostic fee to tell me I need to replace everything. I said no thanks - paid the diagnostic fee (no idea for what, they didn't diagnose anything) - and took it to an independent shop. They found a single leaking air hose which they fixed for less than Tesla's diagnostic fee.

They intentionally block access to their car for independent shops so sometimes you're forced to go to them because it's software locked.

I couldn't comment on their service center as I've never needed to go.. Ford was always very nice and they've had my car many times for long stretches of time with no loaner but yes very cordial

Yeah, usually the legacy car makers have much better service. They're not that great either, but at least you can talk to someone and they will try to diagnose the issue down to the root of the problem instead of suggesting replacing everything every time.

Last edited: