Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree also.

At times I've thought why don't they hire someone to check things as they go along. I used to do that for a living as part of my job.

Part of me is a bit cynical in that maybe deep down inside they are unaware of these kinds of potential issues. Its not uncommon in technology companies.

As I have been saying for months, Tesla's biggest ongoing problem is they're klutzes at communication. They lack the empathy, sensitivity, leadership, creativity, discretion, humor, accountability, and plain old good sense when it comes to the corporate bureaucracy communicating to the outside world.....

As I have been saying for months, Tesla's biggest ongoing problem is they're klutzes at communication. They lack the empathy, sensitivity, leadership, creativity, discretion, humor, accountability, and plain old good sense when it comes to the corporate bureaucracy communicating to the outside world. They lack the imagination to do wonders with technology -- to integrate it creatively into the car, into the TM website's My Tesla section, and into the mobile apps -- to make the communications between company and customer as wonderful as the car itself. They have not shown any consistent understanding of the importance of managing expectations. This leads to customer confusion, customer disappointment. A disappointed customer is the worst thing a company can have. Especially in the social media, always-on internet age. Of ALL companies Tesla should understand this. They do not. Or they do, but they haven't made it a priority. It reflects poorly on management, and management is sorely responsible for these screwups.

As I have also been saying for months, ALL of this is fixable. It takes management recognizing and admitting there is a problem, understanding the urgency of correcting the problem, finding competent people who know how to fix the problem in terms of process, people, and IT infrastructure, trusting them to be turned loose to make the changes, and making it clear to the whole company this is how things will be done from now on: each employee whose job outwardly faces the customer world needs to be accountable. Systems need to be put in place, and quality assurance tests done and verified, that when the company communicates out to the world, the message is correct, the appropriate recipients receive the message, inappropriate recipients do not by accident receive the message, and things just WORK.

This is not Tesla today. It NEEDS to be Tesla soon or the company will be in a world of hurt come mass deployment of the X and the 3.

And who is tasked with overseeing communications at Tesla? That's where I would lay the blame.

I agree also.

At times I've thought why don't they hire someone to check things as they go along. I used to do that for a living as part of my job.

Part of me is a bit cynical in that maybe deep down inside they are unaware of these kinds of potential issues. Its not uncommon in technology companies.

Bingo! From my experience over the years, it is the rule with technology companies that they spend their resources in creating products with continual enhancements, and ignore the customer side of things for the most part.

Like some others here, I just didn't find the letter offensive. If it doesn't apply to you, then don't worry about it. (And it doesn't sound like anyone here has been abusing it.)

It's not the content of the letter that's offensive, it's the fact that people who aren't at fault are receiving these letters, while others who openly admit to using local Superchargers aren't receiving anything. People in general react very badly when they are accused of doing something that they haven't done.

Short story: At a company I worked at years ago, co-worker "A" had a mental breakdown and began to have delusions that co-workers "B", "C", and "D" were stalking him at the direction of co-worker "E". "A" complained to manager "M", but receiving no immediate solution, proceeded to to company cafeteria and attacked "E". Manager "M" then called "B" into a meeting and accused "B" of stalking "A". "B" had no idea what this was about, because "A" was the crazy one. "M" began to get aggressive with "B" and "B" nearly beat "M"'s ass into the ground while they screamed and cursed at each other.

Tesla's letter is obviously not so extreme, but people do get upset, and that is a reality that Tesla will have to acknowledge. As far as I'm concerned whoever sent this letter out owes some owners an apology.

Funny that AmpedRealtor should mention the communications folks at Tesla because they are no where to be found in the listing of upper echelon management available on Tesla's website, WSJ, etc. However, it appears that there is such a person, Mr. Ricardo Reyes, a VP-level employee. He is on his second tour of duty at Tesla having spent time with Tesla a few years ago, YouTube and Square. Either he isn't all that good at this (doubtful); he isn't well tuned to the automotive market (hard to say); he just doesn't have the authority to reign in the communications monster (including Elon) that is Tesla (very strong possibility given the issues that Tesla always seems to have in this area); Tesla is just moving too fast; or Tesla is so entrepreneurial that it has inadvertently empowered way too many people to speak on its behalf (a sure recipe for bad communications). Regardless, if he can't fix it or doesn't have the authority to control it, Tesla needs to change this one way or the other.

I got the letter. I took it a face value and as reminder to all that supercharging is primarily for long distance travel. O.K., thanks, I got it! I supercharge all the time, when I'm on the road. My destination locations (friends in apartments) only have 120v which I've used a little. Unfortunately even my reduced power draw keeps popping their circuit breakers. When I'm at my own home I use my 14-50 in the garage. Perfect! Now, I have taken neighbors to supercharging sites and supercharged to show them the technology and discuss the benefits of electric motoring. I also love to visit new supercharging locations out of my local area to see the growth across the nation. I'm usually showing someone the new SC site as well. The letter is no big deal, it's just a heads up to use superchargers as they were intended. ...and, I think too, we all need not take things too personally, even though the letter has my name on it. As far as the letters intent, once again, O.K. thanks, I got it!

I got the letter. I took it a face value and as reminder to all that supercharging is primarily for long distance travel. O.K., thanks, I got it! I supercharge all the time, when I'm on the road. My destination locations (friends in apartments) only have 120v which I've used a little. Unfortunately even my reduced power draw keeps popping their circuit breakers. When I'm at my own home I use my 14-50 in the garage. Perfect! Now, I have taken neighbors to supercharging sites and supercharged to show them the technology and discuss the benefits of electric motoring. I also love to visit new supercharging locations out of my local area to see the growth across the nation. I'm usually showing someone the new SC site as well. The letter is no big deal, it's just a heads up to use superchargers as they were intended. ...and, I think too, we all need not take things too personally, even though the letter has my name on it. As far as the letters intent, once again, O.K. thanks, I got it!

That's how I read it. Really not anything to add, other than dressing your post up with a little bit of bold formatting.

I got the letter this morning too. The accusatory sentence left me wondering just what criteria they use to determine what is abuse. I have certainly used the all the superchargers in the Bay Area at various times. I don't do so regularly, but I have used them many times over the past eleven months (averaging a little less than once every couple of weeks I'd guess), usually for long trips. But sometimes for shorter trips, and sometimes just to try out a new one or to show somebody how they work.

I'd like to understand better what Tesla's model of reasonable use is. I don't understand it from their badly executed letter.

I understand why people might take offense to receiving this if they've gone out of their way to use supercharging "appropriately" (using this term per the Tesla intent of them, not to incite the local supercharging argument). I wouldn't, personally, but would probably think back and try to figure out what I'd done that was excessive. I haven't received the letter, either way.

Of course, there's the concern that's been alluded to in this thread regarding the motivation behind the letter. Something triggered the concern - either looking forward at the anticipated growth vs. the potential for infrastructure buildout, energy costs, queues somewhere, etc. I'd like to know that piece of information.

I spoke with a Tesla employee recently who mentioned a few things that seemed a little far fetched. One of them was in regards to "free" Supercharging, and the implication was that it won't be offered with the Model X. I brushed it away, because I think it would be ugly from a marketing perspective, and it just doesn't seem in line with the existing model. However, paying $2000 to enable supercharging, and being billed for your consumption certainly would change some behaviors. Again, I believe it's totally unsubstantiated and unrealistic, just mentioning it because perhaps with the Model 3 it would be a realistic option.

It doesn't seem particularly offensive to me but then again, I am not easily offended and have not received one. I think it is great to see Tesla going after people abusing local superchargers but it seems many here do not fit that category.

The more time I spend on here the more unsure I am about buying a Model 3. It was my dream, but comments like this, drive trains exploding frequently according to previous posts on TMC, production delays and unwarranted emails being sent to people who don't even use Superchargers is turning me against this company. I travel very long distances for work purposes (Medicine Hat and back a couple times a week - 600km in a day) and if somebody on here or the wing walker Musk is going to tell me I can't supercharge then all the best - I will be buying an ICE. So I will be monitoring things. If there isn't a plan in the next year, my sale goes elsewhere. I don't need the hassle or to be made to feel like a criminal.

Last edited:
No email here but, I've only SC-ed on just a couple of roadtrips with the second car. A couple of brief stops at Mountain View and San Mateo are in there though.

Concerned however about the health and long-term viability of the whole SC pricing+usage+availability model, particularly with the Model 3 that'd be within reach of a much larger customer base who may not have access to home charging. SCs haven't and aren't being built to accommodate usage-based billing (although Tesla can probably do it via in-car touchscreen s/w and/or a credit card on file).

All said and done, this does leave a bitter taste in the mouth. The "free-for-life" and the "use-it-as-you-please" messages from the past are definitely being backtracked upon.

Not sure how applicable this is but, having finally gotten through Ashlee Vance's biography of Musk and forming a slightly deeper understanding of Elon's psyche, I fear that some of Elon's freewheeling / cavalier ways are being reflected in Tesla's recurring communication missteps. Oh yes, the buck stops with him; let's not blame some poor Dutch intern or even their "VP of Communications".

No email here but, I've only SC-ed on just a couple of roadtrips with the second car. A couple of brief stops at Mountain View and San Mateo are in there though.

Concerned however about the health and long-term viability of the whole SC pricing+usage+availability model, particularly with the Model 3 that'd be within reach of a much larger customer base who may not have access to home charging. SCs haven't and aren't being built to accommodate usage-based billing (although Tesla can probably do it via in-car touchscreen s/w and/or a credit card on file).

All said and done, this does leave a bitter taste in the mouth. The "free-for-life" and the "use-it-as-you-please" messages from the past are definitely being backtracked upon.

Not sure how applicable this is but, having finally gotten through Ashlee Vance's biography of Musk and forming a slightly deeper understanding of Elon's psyche, I fear that some of Elon's freewheeling / cavalier ways are being reflected in Tesla's recurring communication missteps. Oh yes, the buck stops with him; let's not blame some poor Dutch intern or even their "VP of Communications".

Very well said. I am not a 1%er like most on here and don't have a garage. That being said, I planned on building a garage to be courteous when the Model 3 was purchased. Alot of the mass market audience Tesla has its hopes and success pinned on won't have access to home charging. Glad I sold my shares.

I travel ... for work purposes ... 600km in a day ... I don't need the hassle or to be made to feel like a criminal.

Thanks for this comment. I believe you represent a user group that we don't hear enough from. I think in your case it would be much better if there was more certainty. For example if there was a usage based pricing model (instead pre paid) you could calculate exactly how much long distance travel would cost you and then compare that to gasoline cars. Business users don't like uncertainty. You need to calculate costs and make financial decisions based on data. If Tesla keeps changing rules over time, that creates lots of uncertainty, especially for people who made the purchase partly because of financial reasons. As it is right now, Tesla is undermining business/customer relationships. Currently it is more like charity/recipient relationship. To some users Tesla says we identified you as an abuser, we ask you to reduce usage and we expect you cooperate. That is not what people want to hear when they pay for a service. Imagine somebody trying to decide whether they should buy 20 Teslas for their sales team and they come across to this topic. It doesn't look good. What if Tesla decides to reduce charging power of repeat offenders? There was a topic about this a while ago. Some people said their charging power was reduced. I don't know what happened to that. Maybe it was a trial that has ended for now. At least they should offer a pay per use option to people who want to purchase that.

Last edited:
oof, I'm at a loss of words. Posting to subscribe so I can come back to this one.

You can subscribe to a thread without posting to it. Just use the "Thread Tools" option at the top of the page.

It is the "changing the rules" aspect of this that has me most concerned. I don't supercharge. (I've tested my car, but that's about it.) But there are other areas where Tesla also seems willing to change the rules in the middle of the game. I don't understand how Tesla management thinks that's acceptable.

Last edited:
It's easy to let your emotions run a bit high when Tesla does something fairly disappointing like this. But I would be hesitant to suddenly change my view on what the company is doing.

If the economics of the superchargers becomes unrealistic, then Tesla will have to make changes. Maybe consider it a perk of being among the first 100k Tesla's on the road to get free long distance infrastructure. It seems highly unlikely that Tesla will change that aspect of the Supercharger program for the first buyers given what it was sold as and using Elon's statements in the past. That might change for future buyers, especially the Model 3 owners. Did anyone really expect millions of Tesla's on the road by 2020 being able to freely get access to a Supercharger on an unlimited basis at no cost? Places like Harris Ranch would need a parking lot the size of Walmart in order to fit the daily drivers up the I-5.

There may end up being some kind of subscription model or something based on usage for the lower margin Model 3's. This problem will sort itself out over time if they make adjustments to the Supercharger user costs as existing "Supercharger Enabled" pre-purchased VIN's get traded in or no longer used. But we're still probably a couple years away from that.

Reminds me when Netflix made the move of raising prices and splitting off the DVD business. It was as if the world was coming to an end for Netflix. I remember a coworker saying the price change was making him drop his subscription and sell the stock. Cue the move from $60 to $840 and other media companies are now struggling to deal with the loss of revenue as a result of Netflix. Tesla is selling less than 0.1% of the global auto market and their goal is to get to 0.5%. There are going to be growing pains and thats what happens when you are one of the first customers.

No one said shifting consumers from ICE to electric was going to be easy. But whoever sent out the poorly worded e-mail to non-abusers was an idiot.

Have we confirmed that this letter was intentionally sent out? As the OP points out, he has no local SpC and only uses it while on trips. I see absolutely no reason for him (or others in similar positions) to receive such a notice. My money's still on a screw up.

And all of the free electricity you are getting is obviously worth something to you or you wouldn't be doing it as is clear with your first post. Supercharger occupancy is only part of this equation. It's great that you appear to be courteous about when you use it but 50\50? Your exploiting the system to pay your electric bill, I just don't see how that's ethical.

Again, given the general tenner of the discussions I've been in recently I'd like to see others perspective. It's quite possible that my position is wrong.

Jeff

jeff,

Try to remember that this is not free. It is paid for. Either he paid $2500 cash for the right to use the superchargers at will, or he purchased a higher value car that it was included with the package. Either way this idea that it's free is a fallacy. We paid for this product