Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Surprised there's no CCS support. Thoughts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, no point in making a CCS adapter when the Supercharger network exists. Last thing I need is Teslas clogging up the still fragile CCS network. Plus with a CHAdeMO adapter, there's probably like 5% of CCS stations that DON'T also have a CHAdeMO plug.

Unless EVSE manufacturers start dropping CHAdeMO entirely, the CHAdeMO adapter should be all that a Tesla owner would need.
That is true today for the USA.

During the coming five years there will be >50 models from VAG, Mercedes Benz, BMW, PSA, Renault, JLR and others that will all have CCS. Europe is already becoming well-covered with CCS which is accelerating very rapidly. NA is also accelerating and CCS-only DC Fast will become ubiquitous quickly.

The Tesla vehicles will also need CCS and continue to need CHAdeMO, depending on the market. Superchargers are bound to be the first choice but they will not be the only choice.

BEV’s are about to meet near-global critical mass. As such the more fast-charging choices the better for everyone. We should think ahead at least to 2022 to think about what charging options will be needed. Tesla alone probably cannot support sparsely travelled routes such as Paris-Dakar or Tierra del Fuego- Deadhorse. The added volumes of CCS only BEV’s probably will make such exotic routes achievable. If BEV’s are to become what many nations expect by 2030 we need to accept that CCS/Supercharging/CHAdeMO will all be playing a role, as will the odd AC in very remote places.

Definitely technical advances in energy storage, charging technology and increased operating efficiencies will all have major improvements. Each such improvement will encourage more people to travel to less populous areas. The charging infrastructure must replicate fossil fuel distribution capacity soon. Certainly it will not be cheap to refuel in Paxton, AK even though @AudubonB will find a way to make certain we’ll have charging when we get there! Be confident that such trips are not very far away.

If we do not think in such terms we will not actually reach ICE replacement.

It might look like this in Europe

CSS_M3_copyright.jpg

Glad to see it. Still waiting for CCS-Combo to Tesla, even in AC-mode. We have a bunch of combo chargers around here that won't work at all with a Model 3. They're at useful places like IKEA, grocery stores, etc.
What would be the point to plugging a Tesla in at any of those places? I suspect all those are low powered stations, so how long are you inside and how far from home are you?

What would be the point to plugging a Tesla in at any of those places? I suspect all those are low powered stations, so how long are you inside and how far from home are you?

The point is to get a few miles of range, and if a business is going to provide that to customers, the Model 3 owners should be able to use that.

Also, the more chargers a Model 3 can plug into, the less demand there is on the Supercharger system. In some areas, this system is already overtaxed (ahem, SoCal and the Bay to name a few).

Why have a J1772 adapter under this logic? Even an extra 10% of charge when stopping in a store is useful.
Useful for what? If you're on a road trip Superchargers are totally the way to go. If you're near home, plug in at home. I'm sure there are some edge cases where staying at a store for an hour to get 25 miles of range is useful, but they're pretty rare, I've never seen one.

OTOH, the J1772 adapter is extremely useful for the case where you're staying overnight somewhere and there's a public charger a block or two away. I've done this multiple times.

Let's hear the use case for shopping for an hour and getting 25 miles of range that's so compelling.

• Love
Reactions: ord3r
Useful for what? If you're on a road trip Superchargers are totally the way to go. If you're near home, plug in at home. I'm sure there are some edge cases where staying at a store for an hour to get 25 miles of range is useful, but they're pretty rare, I've never seen one.

OTOH, the J1772 adapter is extremely useful for the case where you're staying overnight somewhere and there's a public charger a block or two away. I've done this multiple times.

Let's hear the use case for shopping for an hour and getting 25 miles of range that's so compelling.
ChargePoint Level 2 stations at work where we can plug in for four hours at a time. I'd still rather have CHAdeMO support since there's also two DC Fast stations.

Yup. Always willing to have a backup solution. I've already purchased two (used) J1772 adapters in case my original breaks or is lost.
Outside of an ever shrinking pool of niches, ChaDEMO isn't much of a backup anymore.

If something has gone sideways, pulling 11kW on a DC (or even 6kW on a J-1772) for enough of a bump to limp through isn't going to feel a whole lot different than ChaDEMO.

EDIT: BTW this is as someone that did stop for an unscheduled 30A, NEMA 14-50 bump to make a gap after poor planning/rookie mistake lead to what would have been a tight route to reach a SC.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jbcarioca
Outside of an ever shrinking pool of niches, ChaDEMO isn't much of a backup anymore.

If something has gone sideways, pulling 11kW on a DC (or even 6kW on a J-1772) for enough of a bump to limp through isn't going to feel a whole lot different than ChaDEMO.
Perspective on this depends entirely on where you drive. In most of the US your statement is valid, but there are many urban locations for which a CHAdeMO option is very convenient, if not essential. In quite a large portion of Canada CHAdeMO is a very important option. Certainly the future will be more CCS than it will be CHAdeMO but the latter will be important for some time. CHAdeMO speeds are rising too, although teh current generation Tesla connector is limited. In my experience I almost always have needed CHAdeMO when stopping for a couple of hours anyway, so slower speeds have not been a significant issue.

"Outside of an ever shrinking pool of niches".....
Well, if I assume that the ChargePoint map information is up-to-date and accurate, the places that I would normally drive long distances to (Portland, LA, Tahoe, Yosemite), CHAdeMO beats CCS when including both the ChargePoint and EVgo networks (I have accounts with both).

I understand that financially it may not make much sense to buy a $450 adapter, considering that the ROI is a very, very long time, but if it saves my a$$ even once, it's worth it to me. Besides, how can you argue against giving Tesla more (of my, and not your) money? With more and more Model 3s being released I'm sure that Supercharger stall occupancy rates are going to increase, not decrease, even if you figure that the recent increase of SC fees might discourage local charging. The only real concern, IMO, is if Nissan, Honda and/or Mitsubishi gets out of the EV market which may cause the CHAdeMO standard to lose popularity. Hopefully that won't affect the stations that are already out in the public.

Well, if I assume that the ChargePoint map information is up-to-date and accurate, the places that I would normally drive long distances to (Portland, LA, Tahoe, Yosemite), CHAdeMO beats CCS when including both the ChargePoint and EVgo networks (I have accounts with both)

The only real concern, IMO, is if Nissan, Honda and/or Mitsubishi gets out of the EV market which may cause the CHAdeMO standard to lose popularity. Hopefully that won't affect the stations that are already out in the public.

Battle of the Invalids. :p ChaDEMO was far out ahead, and has that legacy of a lot of [mostly single plug] locations, but it's standing still.

At least things are happening with CCS, even if they've got a lot of ground to cover. Electrify America in particular is really pushing CCS out there. Yes, I know those EA sites have a ChaDEMO plug, too, but if you read the threads on EA you'll find it's sort of a bad compliance joke :( . The supply for the plug is exclusive use shared with a CCS plug, the rest of the chargers at the location are CCS only. ChaDEMO has stagnated, both in coverage and the standard itself in NA (best case is you're drawing 50kW, more realistically you're around 24kW-45kW).

Contrast both these to Tesla (SC and DC), which is out ahead AND moving.

I understand that financially it may not make much sense to buy a $450 adapter, considering that the ROI is a very, very long time, but if it saves my a$$ even once, it's worth it to me.

There's not much longterm RIO to be had when its rates are more expensive and L2s are far more prevalent for the "back-up" case.

Last edited: