Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suspension Problem on Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
reposting because it bears repeating. A real experience with suspension repair Suspension and safety

Great link and first person narrative of this thread's subject.

"Roger looked at the parts and said they didn’t look very bad, but that it was good to have them replaced. That low hum disappeared and I’m back to driving on a cloud. Roger knows that I have over 100,000 miles on my car, including 3 winters of corrosive road salt and snow in upstate NY. He didn’t harp on about how my car shouldn’t be having these problems with such’low’mileage.He also said the repair cost was in line with industry standards."

I think I have an answer to @X Yes? - You've made it clear you're here not because you care about the stock (me either, btw), but that you're investigating whether or not to get an X. I've just reviewed your post history and I can say without a doubt, the X isn't for you. I drive one every day, and can tell you it requires a different mindset. There are a lot of great vehicles in its class, many of which are superior if you don't care about the electric drivetrain. So I'm certain you should be spending more time on the BMW and MB forums to see which of those vehicles is a better fit.

X No.

Is it possible the NTHSA will want to look at the "fraudulent reports" to see if those crashes were the result of a suspension problem?
The original design of the suspension was from a Mercedes S class, on the Model S it carries far more weight.
Mercedes S Class: 4,310 lbs to 5,000 lb
Tesla Model S: 4,608 to 4,936 lbs
Don't really see any significant difference. Certainly not "far more weight". Anyway, engineers always over design these parts because they know that some people will exceed the limits.

This all very possible, although the SEC is likely tied up investigating Goldman Sachs, for their upgrade and price target increase the day they handled Tesla's latest secondary stock placement
I don't think you understand how the SEC works.. there aren't just three people there. They employ over 4000.

I will admit that they're slow when loaded with work. One of the reports I made in the early 2000s took 17 months to get to resolution.

NHTSA: those are fraudulent claims.

X Yes: what if NHTSA had come to that conclusion without doing proper investigation?

Some reputed independent agency: those are definitely fraudulent claims.

X Yes: what if these guys too had come to that conclusion without doing proper investigation? Tesla could be on a mission to a kill a lot of us. How would we know? I am only here to know the truth.

What if what if.

You are not here to know the truth. You are here just to stir the pot and have some fun - aka trolling.

I cannot believe this thread is still going. Wow.

I assume you know all about the incident with Gilberto on the day of the big Mushroom Festival and how he was convinced that Tessa could have seriously injured him and that as her father, Escobar should take responsibility and for the sake of the family name, make things right between them?

This was even though Gilberto had been using Tessa for a very long time and, it would seem, had been treating her rather roughly.

Well, his friends were calming him down but then he was approached by the sexy Lucila Lulita Isabella who managed to persuade him that Tessa had been unfaithful to others and was highly unstable and that she had the evidence to prove it.

Alarmed by what was shown to him, Gilberto wanted nothing more to do with Tessa. He was infuriated that Escobar wouldn't patch things up and by what he assumed was an attempt by Escobar to silence him and so he contacted the authorities, an option which had always been open to him since April.

It was claimed that the evil Eduardo was also involved somehow, since he has long been resentful of Escobar's success and determined to see him suffer.

Eduardo totally denied it of course, as he always does. But by this stage it was all in the press and the story was spun every which way for the benefit of greatest circulation.

There was some minor damage to Escobar, but nowhere near as much as some feared/hoped. Tessa is fine.

No one knows what's happened to Gilberto - he seems largely forgotten as the different sides of the extended family continue to snipe it out. Maybe he and Tessa can be reconciled, but it seems unlikely. I think that will have to wait until next season to find out.

Honestly, you couldn't make this stuff up.

Popcorn?

Oops... safety inspection in MD is apparently only on sale or transfer. In VA, it's annual.

Safety inspection in PA is annual, and, at least as of last year, Tesla did not have proper paperwork in PA to perform the inspection. So the inspection could not be performed at Tesla SC, but instead needed to be performed annually at any auto repair shop that is registered with the state to perform it.

When requested, Tesla SC typically contracted with an adjacent auto dealer to let them do the inspection during Tesla annual service.

Came across this and I thought it relevant. Apparently modern sealed-for-life ball joints do have design compromises that can lead to premature failure.

Moog gusher bearing technology: A deeper look - AftermarketSuspensionParts.com
This does actually seem relevant. It looks like "standard" automotive bearings, for all manufacturers, are designed in such a way that they die early under corrosive road conditions.

Well, we'll have to keep an eye on this. It might make sense for Tesla to switch to something more durable, but that's up to them.

Reactions: 1 person
There's no there there, case closed, but not to Anti-Teslites, whose reasoning (if it can be called that) goes something like this: But..but maybe the fraudulent claims were made by innocent children kidnapped and tortured by Tesla black ops after they ran away but were still afraid for their lives so they had to use fake VINs. THUS Elon, a KNOWN alien, who created and sold PayPal only to trick the govt. into giving him subsidies for SpaceX, is MASTERMINDING a plot of universal intergalactic proportions so he can PHONE HOME.

"He who Doubts from what he sees
Will neer Believe do what you Please
If the Sun & Moon should Doubt
Theyd immediately Go out"

-William Blake

It's not a foregone conclusion that a severely worn ball joint would exhibit obvious symptoms.

It all depends on the suspension geometry, vehicle loading, road conditions, etc. It's entirely possible that a heavy vehicle like the Model S might load the ball joints in such a way to mask any looseness or play.
On a nasty bumpy dirt road, one would be inclined to write off any looseness or play to *the road conditions*. I've had problems with other vehicles which I only noticed when I got onto a really nice road, because they'd been masked by the awfulness of most of the roads around here. ("Wait, it's still pulling to one side and shaking after I got onto the *good* road? I thought that was just the road conditions....")

I guess this shows the importance of the annual safety inspection.

For those who haven't seen the NDA language Tesla requires, here it an example, from an agreement they asked me to sign (but which I did not):

(3) your receipt, agreement and acceptance of the above payment is in full and complete satisfaction of, and you agree (including, without limitation, on behalf of all your heirs, estates, executors and beneficiaries and all other persons acting under your direction) to fully and forever release and discharge Tesla and any and all of its past, present and future entities, affiliates or persons (including, without limitation, all stockholders, officers, directors, employees, agents and attorneys) and all persons or entities acting on or for its or their behalf (“Released Parties”) of and from any and all claims, complaints, demands, damages, liabilities, actions and causes of action of every kind (including without limitation alleged breaches or violations of express or implied representations, warranties or any state or federal regulations or statutes relating to lemon law, warranty, class actions, product liability, consumer fraud, consumer protection, unfair competition or false, unlawful, unfair, deceptive, untrue, misleading or fraudulent business acts, practices or advertising), known or unknown, suspected or unsuspected, arising out of or in any way connected with the Vehicle (“Claims”), (4) you will not initiate, advise, encourage, commence, participate or aid in any action at law or in equity or any legal proceeding (including withdrawing or cancelling any previously submitted or filed actions or legal proceedings) against any of the Released Parties based in whole or in part upon or related to any Claim, except as required by, and only to the extent necessary to comply with, applicable law, person or entity any Claims.

To the fullest extent permissible consistent with applicable law, you agree to keep confidential the terms and conditions of this letter, including, without limitation, its existence (collectively, “Confidential Information”) and acknowledge that such confidentiality is also for your privacy and protection. Except as may be required by law, you may disclose the Confidential Information only to the extent necessary in any proceedings to enforce, or to obtain professional advice with respect to, this letter. You agree that you will not publicize, directly or indirectly, any Confidential Information or otherwise disclose Confidential Information to any third party except as specified above. You agree that your breach of any conditions in this letter, directly or indirectly, will give rise to a right of action by a Released Party for rescission of this letter, injunctive relief and damages.
As you can see, it is very broad. It prohibits the customer from participating or aiding in any action or legal proceeding against Tesla related to any "Claim" (which is defined extremely broadly, including "complaints...in any way connected to the Vehicle") without being legally compelled to do so first, and it prohibits the disclosure of even the existence of the letter. If I sign it, I can't even legally tell my friends what happened to my car. If I disclose anything, then it gives Tesla the right to "injunctive relief and damages". Even problems with the car unrelated to the current incident are covered. Wow. This seems designed to prevent discovery of systemic problems, which I think we as customers deserve the collective right to discuss. How can we as a community reach the truth about large-scale issues if the people most affected are prohibited from sharing information? It just seems wrong. Tesla is not a legacy car company, and we as customers have higher expectations of it than we do of others. It's a visionary Silicon Valley company that has benefited greatly from word of mouth. Continued enjoyment of the benefits of word of mouth depends on allowing such customer to customer information flow to continue, without censorship. I'm a proud Tesla owner, and a true believer in its mission, but I want to be able to tell the complete story.

I was asked to sign this agreement, and refused, because of its over-broad nature, and asked Tesla to provide me a simpler agreement in which they simply state that their action does not constitute an admission of any defect. Simple. Tesla legal has so far refused. I hope they re-think their position in light of the negative publicity arising out of the NHTSA objections.

Really? You think rough roads caused that ball to be corroded and pitted?

When a car is caught "caked" in dirt with severely rusted parts once.

Then there is an inconsistency of the answer of how often it was: once, twice or ten which might suggest this is just a very small tip of an iceberg.

Dirt-roads in this story may have much more stories to tell.

It is about how the car has been treated in all these years, days in and days out.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster
Not even Apple at its most controversial has spawned the level of nasty debate, stock market manipulation, and political conniving that Tesla has.
I lived through the "bad" Apple years, and the smack talk all took place in the weekly and monthly trade magazines long before the Internet. It was awful. It was nothing but gloom and doom for Apple, and I've noticed since they sold less phones for the first time since starting to sell them, more and more articles wondering if Apple has lost its way.

As a species, we still have not left the blood sport speckle of Rome's Coliseum.

I own a 2001 Honda Insight, lots of aluminum, very little steel, Many places where steel meets aluminum there is an isolator pad to avoid galvanic corrosion. If Tesla did not do that those cars will all problems soon.
I once had a Honda Civic that went through 3 front wheel bearing in 2 years, turns out a ground strap to A frame was not reconnected after a timing belt replacement. Do you think Tesla has figured all this stuff out yet.

Nevertheless, this thread has caused me much anxiety because I use my car a lot as if it's a work horse.

My back seats are down to carry stuff more often than being up to carry passengers.

Like the whistle blower in this case, I have to admit that I do only go off-roading only once, ok, twice, oh wait, ten the most.

Here it was at Rainbow Basin Natural Area, Fossil Bed Road, Barstow, CA searching for dinosaur fossils. It found lots of gas stations in Barstow but no dinosaur egss :)

DElBg9R.jpg

I personally have not "never abused the car or drove more than a total of a 100 miles on unpaved roads."

So, now after more than 3 years and 76,000 miles:

PJurgvR.jpg

Here's the condition of the part in question:

GNgrKuY.jpg

After all these miles, the only expenses that I paid so far have been the replacement of 4 tires for about $800 total (with free all wheel alignment included.)

Last edited:
I own a 2001 Honda Insight, lots of aluminum, very little steel, Many places where steel meets aluminum there is an isolator pad to avoid galvanic corrosion. If Tesla did not do that those cars will all problems soon.
I once had a Honda Civic that went through 3 front wheel bearing in 2 years, turns out a ground strap to A frame was not reconnected after a timing belt replacement. Do you think Tesla has figured all this stuff out yet.

I think Tesla is perfectly capable of and has the automotive experience necessary to do things that were well known in 2001, yes. They don't have to "figure out" things that are common engineering knowledge.

I think Tesla is perfectly capable of and has the automotive experience necessary to do things that were well known in 2001, yes. They don't have to "figure out" things that are common engineering knowledge.

Ok , I am sure your are right sorry, when I saw a rusted part (not the ball joint) mounted to a clean part, I couldn't help think of the few steel brackets and gas lines that Honda missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.