Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SW/Firmware: Model S Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model s apps sdk...

Geek/developer disclaimer: some of the content below may not make much sense if you're not one of the above and even then... anyhow.
Also sorry for cross posting and if that breaks any of the rules here, but since tesla's forum (thread was initially posted there) is way too aggressive so I'm posting over here instead.

I've asked Elon in person myself about the SDK (not the remote control app for your smartphone that some of you refer to) in public during the press conference at the Geneva Motor Show last month and his answer though at first may sound a bit disappointing makes a lot of sense from a development methodology perspective. I'm going to paraphrase it here, but I do have a video that I can dig out if needed.

'We want to make sure that the platform is stable enough to support 3dr party apps so we're expecting to release something to developers about one year after the car has been into production'

Personally I'm very happy with this answer because it's a clear timeframe, something very important if you're serious about building a business on this "niche" platform. It also shows that they're serious about it. Anyone who's written code knows that building software is one thing, opening it up to 3dr parties is another. You need maturity in many areas if you are to write an API for "everyone" to use without breaking anything else already in place in the process. So what I'm suspecting is that we'll get software v1 when we get the cars this year, v2 will be pushed to the cars some 6 months down the line (almost certainly OTA) with some 3rd party support (Tesla will probably choose the likes of Pandora/Spotify to work with them) and 6 months later v3 with "open" 3rd party support will be delivered.

One thing I really hope is that they'll manage to make the simulator software only (unlike Ford's sync which requires hardware worth north of $5K) thus pushing innovation in yet another way compared to other car makers. It's quite complicated though because you have to simulate quite a lot of things in terms of core car systems on top of which you have to simulate the unit itself and depending on what type of application you're building you end up running within that environment, but what's to stop you building an app/service that runs on both your smartphone and communicates with your car (think synchronization of queues/playlists)?

In any case I'm very excited about the future.

Sounds good, and makes sense. Waiting that long also ensures there's enough cars on the road to have a username for your apps as well. I eagerly await the SDK, but I'm sure ill be poking around the internals before then

That timing to me suggests that they are building out the SDK after the release of the car. I know of no commercial software releases that are in stabilization mode for a year.

Or perhaps refining. I'm sure they have a rough SDK in place to build their own apps. Now it's a matter of sandboxing, documenting and refining to make it ready for public consumption. I actually prefer them to focus on making the car solid THEN parceling out bits for the public to tinker with.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is a no-brainer for the software engineers to get the system delivered first. The SDK is secondary in importance. The software manager in me just instinctively hears this statement as PR only. There is little best practice experience to suggest testing that long will lead to better software. A more likely explanation is that they are still building it, or not yet building

I am perfectly willing to take responsible for the fact that I am cynical, and the actual reason doesn't make any difference anyway. :smile:

^ cynical :) We in the software industry tend to rush things out too often in a half-baked state. It may not be testing at all that might be holding things up but, might be the task of fully-fleshing out (or even starting to build out) all the SDK ecosystem aspects such as sandboxing etc. as AnOutsider said.

It's 2012, how can you NOT do a software only simulator?!? 0_O

Heck, I have VMs, chroots, two different simulators, running on at least one of three different machines. If Ford is thinking a hardware component is necessary, they're nuts.

Hopefully the Tesla SDK will be free. Or no more than $50.

Yes, properly sandboxing apps takes time beyond an initial release. But I sure hope they're planning on how to handle it when somebody escapes the sandbox, because the temptation to show you can pwn a $90k+ car will be very high.

If Ford is thinking a hardware component is necessary, they're nuts.

Hopefully the Tesla SDK will be free. Or no more than $50.

One of the reasons for having a hardware component, or a high SDK "fee", is to make sure the software houses that want to build apps are "serious". A few thousand dollars wouldn't deter the professionals, and would really keep the support load on Tesla down to a manageable level. Of course, to truly test apps, one needs real hardware. I can just imagine the IRS's reaction when I try to write off the Model S as "computer hardware" :biggrin:

That said, I'd love to see a tiered system where anyone can download the SDK, report bugs, and run apps on their own car, but would require more "skin" in the game in order to distribute apps to others, and get support from Tesla.

Is it so hard to believe? I have seen much MUCH more atrocious examples slide right under the IRS' noses! Write it off and I bet by the definition you would have a great case for it too! Of course, I am not a tax lawyer, please consult one first... ;)

And of course it would have to be validated by on-road testing of about 15k miles/year, per app, per release! All deductable. Especially since projected revenues would be in the 7 figures ...
:rolleyes: