Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switching from TM3 to Jaguar I-Pace

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update due to fresh info from Monterrey. I attended Car week - Exotics at Cannery Row.
There were 3 I-Paces there. I was unable to get a ride as they were supporting cars on display. But they were quite honest about the I-Pace. All loved the car but said charging was a problem. These guys drive hard as evidenced by tire wear. All three cited the 22" wheels and aerodynamics as a double edged sword, stable at speed, nice handling but energy hungry. All three said charging was slow.

Personally I found the interior too busy, but that is personal preference,. None of the drivers cared about the interior much. Nothing good or bad to say about it. These were not Jaguar company cars.

All loved the car but said charging was a problem.
It is not just the relatively slow charging for now at 50 kW, but its interplay with the cars high consumption of over 400 Wh/mile at even low highway speeds

The result is that the car as a non local use vehicle is really poor. It works out (presuming DCFC is available) to
  • Range way under 200 miles at US normative highway speeds
  • Charging stops 4x longer than a Model 3 LR on the Supercharger network.
Then, I presume to just really piss off the owners, they put a 7 kW L2 charger in the car.

Last edited:
It is not just the relatively slow charging for now at 50 kW, but its interplay with the cars high consumption of over 400 Wh/mile at even low highway speeds

The result is that the car as a non local use vehicle is really poor. It works out (presuming DCFC is available) to
  • Range way under 200 miles at US normative highway speeds
  • Charging stops 4x longer than a Model 3 LR on the Supercharger network.
Then, I presume to just really piss off the owners, they put a 7 kW L2 charger in the car.

CCS DCFC is available at ~1,100 locations in the USA (compared to 577 Supercharger locations)
The Jag has 100kW charging now. (It had 83kW before a late October OTA).
100kW charging is live in both Europe and America.
Initial taper and final taper is lower than Teslas', so there is a smaller difference in average charge rate per session than you probably expect.
Supposedly, most CCS DCFCs in California are currently 60kW.

You can, right now, drive the Jaguar from Edmonton Alberta to Miami, or from Tijuana to Nova Scotia, using only DCFCs,

That's a weird point of comparison - note how you don't include the amount of stalls at each (most CCS stations charge 1-2 vehicles).

I'd love for you to plot a route showing which chargers you'd hit from Tijuana to Nova Scotia, I'm sure I'd be able to tear that one apart quickly (relying on single nozzle stations and no possible route in cold weather are likely but I'm willing to be surprised).

Also note how CCS fanatics like you focus on being able to arbitrarily cross the country as if that were the hardest task. No CCS vehicle can travel round trip to Telluride, CO for example, especially in winter.

Besides the terrible reliability, EVgo/EA are much more expensive, and you also neglect to note that many EA stations are "neighborhood" stations *permanently* gimped to 50kW per car, at the same price structure as the fast stations!! Tesla's urban SCs are 40 percent faster and won't overcharge you due to taper which is a BIG deal in cold climates.

Hell, even the bare minimum of crossing 70 in Colorado right now isn't possible in winter, you must detour down to Aspen and hope the two single CCS stations aren't taken or down (which is likely based on Plugshare).

Bjorn's video showed that max charging is 84 kW even if the fast charger was capable of 150 kW. That is a significant disadvantage - hopefully Jaguar can correct it with a software update. 110-115 kW (which you routinely get at low battery charge on the Tesla - provided you are un-paired) is very important when driving long distance. Hopefully in few years everyone will be on second generation fast chargers, so this will become a non-issue.

Screen capture from his video here

upload_2018-11-11_8-51-32.png

Only a portion of AP1 was Mobileye, mainly the object recognition, the actually driving algorithm is 100% Tesla. (Which is why Tesla continues to update that portion.)

Yes. Mobileye provided (manually input, see the link below) vision software but Tesla did the rest. Tesla was also developing it's own machine learning algorithm at the time and did not want to share that with Mobileye. That's the reason of the fail out between the two. Mobileye made it sounded like it dumped Tesla but its Tesla that had no interest in long term relationship with Mobileye. That incident just accelerated the separation and gave Mobileye a good cover. It was Tesla wanting (eventually) to dump Mobileye not Mobileye dumped Tesla. Kind of like you did fire me I quit.

As late as 2016 Mobileye still did not think AI machine learning is the valid approach. That's mainly because it did not have it and did not know how to do it. Many people believed Mobileye had the technology that Tesla relied on only because of its good PR work. A lot of companies that were working with the company, and Intel that paid a hefty price for almost nothing, probably are having a rude awakening now.
Mobileye Bullish on Full Automation, but Pooh-Poohs Deep-Learning AI for Robocars

The current Nvidia chip situation is pretty similar to that. Tesla just want to do everything itself instead of using technology that everyone could buy. However I must say Nvidia in comparison is much more of a class act in how it handled the separation.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
I must be a cheap date because the I-Pace I configured came in around $80k. That’s still more than I can or want to pay for a car. The I-Pace is a good looking vehicle. I’m not sure about Jaguars now but I remember cars from the U.K. had electrical issues and this car is a pure electric car.

Tesla has a few years of producing EVs and this is Jaguar’s first one.