Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny location of sensors :eek:
pearl-white-tesla-model-s-front-bumper-facelift-refresh-accessories-sale-savings.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
You don't. That's why we implemented continued access to the towhook. #AAA :)

This is REALLY bad!!! Without access to the 12 volt battery, you can't get into the car and even if you could, you couldn't turn on the screen to put it in tow mode. The tow company would have to drag your car onto the flat bed, which is difficult but not impossible. Then they have to get it off... somehow. You're into it big $$$ just getting towed.

At the shop... still can't get the hood up. You'd have to destroy the bumper to get to the 12 volt jumpers so you could get the hood up and change the battery. That's a lot of $$$ for a dead battery.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
This is REALLY bad!!! Without access to the 12 volt battery, you can't get into the car and even if you could, you couldn't turn on the screen to put it in tow mode. The tow company would have to drag your car onto the flat bed, which is difficult but not impossible. Then they have to get it off... somehow. You're into it big $$$ just getting towed.

At the shop... still can't get the hood up. You'd have to destroy the bumper to get to the 12 volt jumpers so you could get the hood up and change the battery. That's a lot of $$$ for a dead battery.
You are correct! That is why I would recommend placing those jumper posts in an accessible location. I am about to tackle this project soon. Have any others offered suggestions? If something goes wrong, the 12 volt drains fast if it already wasn't dead. So if you are still able, pop hood first and also put in tow mode.

• Informative
How did you resolve the 12v jumper locations?

The bumper doesn’t come pre-drilled for parking sensors. How do you know where to locate it?

Tsportline pdf instruction is horrible...not very detailed...is ther video or better instruction out ther?

• Funny
Reactions: Plug Life
In my 85 (produced Oct 27 2015) there were no 12V jumpstart contacts behind the bumper anymore, they are located in the frunk under the windscreeen wipers under that plastic cover.

The thing with the parking sensors really is an issue.
In the manual it says that two of the sensors are by mistake wrongly indicated on the FBR. That is not really an issue.

It's more of an issue that two other locations are not correct either. And the manual says nothing about this.

I drilled the two lower holes as indicated on the bumper. And I found out that they are not in the same distance from the middle of the bumper. In Europe a front number plate is obligatory and when the bumper was installed, it became clear that one hole is 2-3 cm away from the spot it should be. Without a number plate, one will not see this, but with a number plat, it becomes obvious. So after mounting the numberplate, I decided to move that to the right, to get it in the middle of the two holes.

Furthermore: the bumper is thicker than the original prefacelift bumper. So the sensors are not flat with the bumper outside as with the original one.

So I am not satisfied about this at all.

For a bumper that is 5 times the price of an original one, this should not happen! Shipment was a problem too. The bumper was shipped to the wrong airport, despite the confirmation of the vendor T-Sportline, which cost me another USD 200 extra to get it home..

So I do not recommend buying this aftermarket bumper.

• Informative
In my 85 (produced Oct 27 2015) there were no 12V jumpstart contacts behind the bumper anymore, they are located in the frunk under the windscreeen wipers under that plastic cover.

In the manual it says that two of the sensors are by mistake wrongly indicated on the FBR. That is not really an issue.

It's more of an issue that two other locations are not correct either. And the manual says nothing about this.

I drilled the two lower holes as indicated on the bumper. And I found out that they are not in the same distance from the middle of the bumper. In Europe a front number plate is obligatory and when the bumper was installed, it became clear that one hole is 2-3 cm away from the spot it should be. Without a number plate, one will not see this, but with a number plat, it becomes obvious. So after mounting the numberplate, I decided to move that to the right, to get it in the middle of the two holes.

Furthermore: the bumper is thicker than the original prefacelift bumper. So the sensors are not flat with the bumper outside as with the original one.

For a bumper that is 5 times the price of an original one, this should not happen! Shipment was a problem too. The bumper was shipped to the wrong airport, despite the confirmation of the vendor T-Sportline, which cost me another USD 200 extra to get it home..

Photo of install?

On the sensor issue of it not being flush is your mistake. How you glue on the sensor holders on, is the key to getting the sensor to mount flush.

You are correct! That is why I would recommend placing those jumper posts in an accessible location. I am about to tackle this project soon. Have any others offered suggestions? If something goes wrong, the 12 volt drains fast if it already wasn't dead. So if you are still able, pop hood first and also put in tow mode.
I ended up tapping into the frunk emergency release latch, inside the frunk, and ran the two wires out a hole located by this latch. I then routed these wires to the tow hook hole cover and taped them to the back side of the cover with two sided tape.

You can then remove the tow cover and touch a 9 volt transistor battery to those wires to pop the hood in the event that the 12 volt battery has gone dead! So, wherever your jumper posts are located they are accessible and so is the ability to access your 12 volt battery.

I am happy with this bumper cover refresh.

Last edited:
I ended up tapping into the frunk emergency release latch, inside the frunk, and ran the two wires out a hole located by this latch. I then routed these wires to the tow hook hole cover and taped them to the back side of the cover with two sided tape.

You can then remove the tow cover and touch a 9 volt transistor battery to those wires to pop the hood in the event that the 12 volt battery has gone dead! So, wherever your jumper posts are located they are accessible and so is the ability to access your 12 volt battery.

I am happy with this bumper cover refresh.
This sir, is genius.

Thanks for the detailed response...
I don’t understand why these guy don’t just post a detailed write-up to fix these issue.
Most of their videos are marketing crap and nothing on installation and technical

Furthermore: the bumper is thicker than the original prefacelift bumper. So the sensors are not flat with the bumper outside as with the original one. So I am not satisfied about this at all.

For a bumper that is 5 times the price of an original one, this should not happen! Shipment was a problem too. The bumper was shipped to the wrong airport, despite the confirmation of the vendor T-Sportline, which cost me another USD 200 extra to get it home.. So I do not recommend buying this aftermarket bumper.

There are lot of threads about tsportline fbr fitment issue...they don’t respond to these issues at all.

I recommend using the Tesla refresh OEM bumper parts. Total cost all-in came out cheaper than tsportline.

The vendor, TSportline seems to have gone silent on this issue... not a good sign for customer support.