Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hundreds of forum members done it without the new hood..read all the threads
"Hundreds" huh? I have read them, and spoken to people who have done it, hence my point about the underbite and gap.

Vendor - Instructions for facelift bumper/fascia installation on nosecone Model S

fullsizeoutput_647a.jpg

Just bought one of these on their black friday sale, looking forward to it. Wanted to poll the group though- do people recommend matte or gloss black for the area behind the emblem? My car is blue so not really any other gloss black up front; I'm relatively indifferent though.

Looking through this thread it appears as though gloss black is slightly better looking though it's not clear in most pictures as to which is which.

Thanks!

Just bought one of these on their black friday sale, looking forward to it. Wanted to poll the group though- do people recommend matte or gloss black for the area behind the emblem? My car is blue so not really any other gloss black up front; I'm relatively indifferent though.

Looking through this thread it appears as though gloss black is slightly better looking though it's not clear in most pictures as to which is which.

Thanks!
The plastic piece behind the T emblem looks like a missing tooth... not very attractive compared to OEM or other kits.

deep-blue-metallic-tesla-model-s-front-bumper-facelift-refresh-fascia-before-vs-after-3_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

black-tesla-model-s-front-bumper-facelift-refresh-fascia-before-after-wm-2_4000x@2x.progressive.jpg

Finished mine over the holiday. LOVE it. Spent about $2k all-in with the bumper (black friday sale), paint, and net cost of the wheels (I sold mine and bought new for roughly even trade). Painted it myself using paint from automotivetouchup.com and a sprayer that I already had from a different project. Still needs some more wet sanding but I love it. My first automotive paint attempt; made a couple mistakes but most fixed with sanding. I also used a headlight restore kit on the driving lights as they were pretty nicked up from 60k miles.

Still want to change the headlights but that will wait for my next time off from work :)

Before:
IMG_2937.jpg

After:
IMG_3076.jpg

Mistakes:
-instructions say to use either 18mm or 11/16 drill bit for sensor holes; use 18mm- holes were too small using 11/16.
-mineral spirits are NOT strong enough to clean two-part clearcoat from spray gun; I wrecked one of the parts of my paint gun after it dried hard but thankfully it died after the project was finished.
-sensor bracket adhesive doesn’t stick in very cold weather; heat up with a hair dryer first to make it stick.

Last edited:
Also minor addition- I didn't see any reference to this in the Tsportline thread, but in the Unplugged Performance bumper refresh thread they refer to moving the ambient temperature sensor to the lower shroud in order to prevent weird temperature readings. I confirm that this is needed on the Tsportline FBR too- I was driving in 29 degree weather yesterday and the dash was reporting 57 degrees. I'll need to take the bumper off again to reposition that sensor. Just a note for all who do this in the future.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Sorry to keep bumping this thread, but just to bring it full circle, it took 5 minutes to move the sensor and about 30 minutes roundtrip to remove and replace the bumper. I've become a pro at taking the bumper cover off and putting it back on.

The old location for the sensor is in front of the upper radiator shroud; the new location is in the lower shroud. The material it's attached to is a semi-firm rubbery material, so it's as easy as drilling a small hole and pushing the bracket into the hole, there are little fingers that catch the hole. Just to be safe I also added a zip-tie.

Temperature is now correct- it was 17 degrees yesterday and it correctly reported it as 17 degrees (brrr).

Capture2.jpg

Reactions: FlatSix911