Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re a perfect example of the market segment not targeted by Porsche.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

But there’s a hidden segment of Tesla owners who secretly covet a Taycan. ;)

Yeah, I don't agree with the argument that you can have x number of whatever it is - for the price of a Taycan. That's true of anything more expensive then what you have. But I can say, as a Model 3P owner, I'm not envious of the Taycan in pretty much any way. Yes, I'd like the second gear for those higher speeds (for track driving, of course), and I bet the door jambs on the Taycan have more paint than the door jambs on my Model 3. And yes, those charging ports are super cool.

But I don't covet the car like I used to covet supercars back in the day. It doesn't offer me enough - and it doesn't offer me what Tesla offers. It's a strange position to be in, but even if I could afford a Taycan I wouldn't be buying one. It's just not the right time.

It's true, though. Nothing to retract.

The retraction I’m asking for (and you conveniently left out of my quote) is your claim that Porsche knows weight matters and Tesla doesn’t. Today we know Taycan weighs more than the P100D. So let’s hear it. :)

Well ok, I also take issue with your claim that adding range is a simple matter of adding batteries. No it’s not only that. We know many EV with comparable battery size get differing range from a whole host of reasons: aero, inverter efficiency, etc. It’s multivariable equation.

Anyway the big picture is the EV competition is finally heating up and it’s GREAT to see!

Last edited:
Watched that Autogefuhl video and it was excellent as usual. The Taycan media UI is quite dated looking wow. Reminds of Android circa v.3.0! And slow as in slower than the original Model S MCU.

Interestingly the dash cluster UI looked much more impressive. Must have gotten the A-team on that display? Was amusing thinking of those who dislike the 3’s lack of a cluster when he pointed out the steering wheel blocks the view of both sides of the display.

Interior materials all look very nice and high quality.

It would be rough to have that lowbrow UI in my $200K car. To be fair, even more expensive cars also have horrible media UIs so Porsche is in good company there I guess. Probably wouldn’t notice it as much if I wasn’t already a Tesla owner, so might not be a problem for Porsche.

Those brakes look goooood!
Tires are 325?
265F/305R
Screen Shot 2019-09-05 at 6.29.18 AM.png

I would envy the $200K disposable cash more than the car itself.

You can have a family of 4 with everyone in their own Model Y. And one of the Model Ys is far more useful than one Taycan.

Would a Tesla Roadster driver be envious of the Taycan?

Enough money for one is enough money for the other.

The Taycan seems pretty awesome in ways that make it a Porsche... but its just late to the party.
Taycan v Roadster 2? i have a suspicion on which one will be the envy of the other, but we'll have to wait till there's a production model out.

Just heard on the radio today that the entry price of the Tayacan Turbo is $151K and the Turbo S is a cool $185K. Yeah, not going to make a big difference in the EV revolution.
That is what the haters said about the Model S when it was introduced. Attitudes MUST be changed before people are willing to switch over and no better way that to show off a halo car.

Porsche has never made and won't make mass market cars. That is NOT what they do.

That is what the haters said about the Model S when it was introduced. Attitudes MUST be changed before people are willing to switch over and no better way that to show off a halo car.

Porsche has never made and won't make mass market cars. That is NOT what they do.
Well, changing "attitudes" isn't going to be accomplished by producing cars you need to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to own. All the talk of "competition" is moot with Porsche's entry offering. Might as well be a Lambo.

What’s with this “haters” argument? This forum has a share of people who throw this word at anyone who criticizes something.

Look, I personally am kinda disappointed that Porsche decided to price this in super car territory. I don’t hate them for this. I understand the reasons.

This car will not impact the EV landscape on our roads in a meaningful way at that (initial) price. I reluctantly bought a P3 this year because I wanted an EV and while I’d rather not do business with Tesla (not because of hate but because they have issues that I don’t like to deal with) there simply isn’t a viable alternative. I was hoping the Taycan would be one.

I’m one of those upper middle class Porsche customers who can’t responsibly afford their sports car products over $150k. My overall liquid cash right now is about $200k and I have a flush 401k and a paid off house in the city and other stock and a fairly high paying job.

But $200k for a nicely optioned Taycan, while I could actually cut a check, is just silly for anyone not multi millionaire rich so it will be as impactful as a Lamborghini or Bentley for the overall market.

It’s not a serious entry in the EV market but as you say a halo car.

When my Porsche dealer asked me if I wanted to pay a pre-order deposit he was talking about a $90k ish car, not a $180k vehicle. So it’s a disappointment, not “hate”.

The Taycan seems pretty awesome in ways that make it a Porsche... but its just late to the party.
Taycan v Roadster 2? i have a suspicion on which one will be the envy of the other, but we'll have to wait till there's a production model out.

I consider Taycan the "Offensive in the Ardennes" aka the Battle of the Bulge but even much less effective.

It's good that Porsche is doing SOMETHING. Too little, too late, too expensive.

It would be a tactical blunder to just assume Tesla does NOTHING with the Model S between now and when the Taycan lands.

FUSC on the S is a trap right now for owners so Tesla move cars while they work on their actual refresh.

Porsche worldwide sales in 2018 was 256,000, and their largest market was China. I think 20,000 Taycans in 2019 is a pretty big move for them, and well suited to the China market where electric autos are sought after.

Reactions: SmartElectric