Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cars that are changing the world are the Leafs, SR Model 3s, eGolfs etc. collectively these are the cars that “regular” people can afford. Porsche is never changing the world for the majority.
Well, I disagree. There is a strong halo effect, and the mere fact that Porsche is building this car, racing it on the Nürburgring etc. is an admission that a fast car doesn't need "vroom vroom". :D It all helps to get EVs more accepted. Remember that Tesla also started with cars that were financially out of reach for most people.

Reactions: Scott7
Not a big green car fan but damn this looks good.

View attachment 450468

I think this looks better

zS1aSVH.jpg

Well, I disagree. There is a strong halo effect, and the mere fact that Porsche is building this car, racing it on the Nürburgring etc. is an admission that a fast car doesn't need "vroom vroom". :D It all helps to get EVs more accepted. Remember that Tesla also started with cars that were financially out of reach for most people.

But let's not also forget that most people did not give a crap about Tesla until the Model 3. I'm a car enthusiast, drove a P85D back when it was new - thought it was fast, boat-like and financially out of reach, like most people did. In the case of Tesla, thankfully enough people bought the S and then X to afford Tesla the ability to create the Model 3 at all. VAG is not in that financial situation. They could go straight for the mainstream, but haven't - in the car of the Taycan. ID will hopefully push this agenda better.

Reactions: afadeev
"the lower drag Turbo came in at 236-280 miles (381-450km), with the Turbo S at 241-256 miles (388-412km)."

Of course the first news story I read quoted the maximum WLTP number...sigh. Anyway, the Turbo S starts to look pretty inefficient again. It does have some wide front and rear tires though (305 section width rear - and also 20mm wider in the front vs. the Turbo).

So that makes to look the range with EPA pretty poor again.

Sorry if this was posted above, but this was informative:

Everything you wanted to know about Porsche’s new electric car

DAErik just posted a comparison 0-90mph-0 test to compare against the hypothetical Taycan. He does have upgraded brakes, racing seats, and I think aftermarket wheels.

0-90 6.87 seconds 68% SOC
90-0 4.01s
10.88s total.

Taycan prototype is coming in at 10.17. TBD if production version is the same as this.

The list of options is bewildering. It's so off-putting. You add one thing, which means you have to add this whole package while removing some other option. I feel like I need a different Master's Degree to understand any of it.
Tesla options: Paint, wheels, color of seats, FSD or not. Done.