Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Porsche Taycan looks promising. The price tag may not be for everyone but there will be a market for this car and I'm all for it.

At the end of the day competition breeds innovation. We need more EV competition and options since not everyone wants to buy a Tesla.
Agreed 100%. It's natural for us to be fan boys of a certain brand but ultimately it's better for us as consumers if there are more competition. Not just for innovation, but also for our wallets. I'm personally excited for the Taycan and if they can improve range I might end up buying one in the future. I'm also excited for other EVs like the Byton.

Agreed 100%. It's natural for us to be fan boys of a certain brand but ultimately it's better for us as consumers if there are more competition. Not just for innovation, but also for our wallets. I'm personally excited for the Taycan and if they can improve range I might end up buying one in the future. I'm also excited for other EVs like the Byton.

I’m not excited for the Taycan YET. This price range is only for the ultra rich, and the ultra rich aren’t going to change the planet’s usage of gasoline cars. Until it’s in the hands of the masses, it’s irrelevant, which means it’s ultimately irrelevant as it will never be affordable in any trim - for most.

The cars that are changing the world are the Leafs, SR Model 3s, eGolfs etc. collectively these are the cars that “regular” people can afford. Porsche is never changing the world for the majority.

Get a load out of these back seats! (LOL)

Attachments

• IMG_6351.jpg
    IMG_6351.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6350.jpg
    IMG_6350.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 47
(maybe, since magazine times for Porsches seem to be 0.2s faster than Porsche's times it appears that they do not use a 1 foot rollout in their advertised times)

Just based on the power and weight, and assuming torque is flat (obviously a bad assumption with a gear shift, whereever that occurs - and no idea how quick the shift is), it should be better than 2.6 seconds excluding the rollout, so you may be right. It'll be good to see published real-world results. It's going to be quick AND fast!

@afadeev But none of those cars offer complex updates that adds substantial features like sentry mode, advanced summon, ect.

Totally agree.

And there is no indication that other automakers, including Porsche, will get into the habit of adding significant new features outside of the annual model-year release cycle either. With, or without OTA.
It should also be conceded that no other automaker requires as many bug-fix-updates, as Tesla does, either.

Just clarifying that OTA, as a capability, has been out there for a decade+.
How each automaker chooses to utilize it, is up to them.

w.r.t. Taycan launch - it's all good.
The more EVs on the market - the merrier.

Yes. It is still surprisingly bad with a 93kWh pack - though it is possible not all of that is available for use, which would explain part of it.

I bet you are absolutely right - German OEMs are notorious about being conservative with their engineering claims, and prior German EVs (i3, eGolf) all "reserved" 10-20% of battery capacity to hide degradation.
So expect ~75kWh usable out of 93kWh rated.

Sounds funky, but on the flip side, Porsche forums will never see a thread about their cars not charging to the advertised range either:
Performance not getting 310 miles promised

The Taycan starts $60k higher than a 911.

I don’t think it’s “wrong” generally to price it that high but it tells you something about how serious they are with EVs.

It doesn't matter what we think.
What matters is that Porsche's customers think they are very serious, and 30+K of them had put deposit down to buy a Taycan.
Porsche has done its homework, and is being smart to milk those customers for all their are worth. Good business decision for them, nothing more, and nothing less.

Again, the more EVs, the better!

I really don't get the animosity displayed by some towards a new EV brand entering the marketplace.
You like yours, Porsche folks will like theirs.

They will pass you on track, and you will talk their ear off about how much less you paid for yours.
It's all good!

a

P.S.: That 911 is starting to sound like a bargain... perhaps we should all buy one now? :D

Last edited:
I really don't get the animosity displayed by some towards a new EV brand entering the marketplace. You like yours, Porsche folks will like theirs.

I wouldn't call it animosity. I'd call it natural reaction to comments like this posted on a Tesla forum:

They will pass you on track, and you will talk their ear off about how much less you paid for yours.

Damning with faint praise. :rolleyes: Then this that turned out opposite the reality with the P3D/P100D both under 5000 lbs and the Taycan being over. Where's the retraction?

There is nothing magical about range - you just stuff more battery cells into the floor, and write a bigger check to Panasonic/LG/Samsung.

The downsides are not just extra cost, but extra weight. A LOT of extra weight.

Weight kills performance. Porsche knows this. Tesla, not so much.

Last edited:

Definitely! The future looks bright for a variety of car manufactures to offer 100% EVs options for consumers of all kinds (Sports Car Enthusiast, owners who want a long-range EV, and all)

• Tesla (Model S, 3, X, Y, Roadster 2020, Pickup Truck)
• Porsche Taycan
• Audi E-Tron
• Jaguar I-Pace
• Polestar 2
• Rivian R1T
• Aston Martin Rapide E
• Mercedes-Benz EQC
• Volkswagen ID
• BMW i3
• Nissan Leaf
• Chevrolet Bolt
• Hyundai Kona