Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screen console looks very cluttered. Don't get it. I think the model 3 is the best interface yet, but given my choice I'd like an old 1967 911 type console vs either. Since that's not possible give me the model 3 touch screen. I really only want a couple of data points, speed, how far can I drive, hmmm....that's really about it. I'd like a spot to plug my phone in which has all the GPS I need and all my music. Frankly that would be the perfect minimalist interface for me. The Toycan is not the worst (by a long shot) I've seen but not something that was worth waiting 10 years with a $4bln R&D effort.

Reactions: FlatSix911
The Porsche did this 26 times with a slowest to fastest variance of less than one seconds.

The Tesla is varying by about 4 seconds. That's literally making their point. When I watch that video I see way closer to 20s on the last few runs.

You don't get to pretend you can control for battery effects when the test is in no way the same. He doesn't stop, doesn't use the launch control, doesn't reach the same 220-230 kmh that the Porsche test was doing.

The Porsche did this 26 times with a slowest to fastest variance of less than one seconds.

The Tesla is varying by about 4 seconds. That's literally making their point. When I watch that video I see way closer to 20s on the last few runs.

You don't get to pretend you can control for battery effects when the test is in no way the same. He doesn't stop, doesn't use the launch control, doesn't reach the same 220-230 kmh that the Porsche test was doing.

What Porsche did was to prove their point in a more or less controlled environment.

What Byorn did, is a youtube video for entertainment purposes... sadly it's easy to miss what you noted and all Tesla fanbois will be deeply impressed.

Porsche did this in controlled conditions, with a cool down between each launch.

Bjorn did this in the Model 3, in non-controlled conditions, with no cool downs.

Porsche did this in controlled conditions, with a cool down between each launch.

Bjorn did this in the Model 3, in non-controlled conditions, with no cool downs.
It was not done by Porsche, but by Jonny Smith of Fully Charged. And he was driving back and forth on a runway without cool down periods. Lastly I’ll point out that the Taycan accelerated way harder.

I remember reading, on Rennlist I think, that the video showed Jonny's watch a few times and the total time was about an hour. In other words, not back to back.
We have no idea which (if any) of the shots in the video were recorded while Smith was doing his test. He confirmed on Twitter that the launches were back to back.

But in any case, it’s probably true that the Model 3 with its newer cooling system loses less power in repeated hard launches than the Model S. But it’s also a much slower car than either the P100D or the Taycan Turbo/Turbo S. Note that it took Bjoern around 16s to get to 200km/h (and he didn’t even launch from a stop). The Taycan did it in under 10s, even though it is significantly heavier than the Model 3. It should be obvious that this strains the electric drive train much more because the battery has to deliver more power to accerate harder. And the Model 3 still lost several seconds at the end. Is it really so hard to admit that the Porsche beats Tesla in some ways?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
But in any case, it’s probably true that the Model 3 with its newer cooling system loses less power in repeated hard launches than the Model S. But it’s also a much slower car than either the P100D or the Taycan Turbo/Turbo S. Note that it took Bjoern around 16s to get to 200km/h (and he didn’t even launch from a stop). The Taycan did it in under 10s, even though it is significantly heavier than the Model 3. It should be obvious that this strains the electric drive train much more because the battery has to deliver more power to accerate harder. And the Model 3 still lost several seconds at the end. Is it really so hard to admit that the Porsche beats Tesla in some ways?

Nobody was trying to say that the Model 3 was faster than the Taycan or a Model S P100D. This was all about the repeatability.
But the Model 3 wasn't in track mode so it wasn't giving it it's all. You can't really compare the two and come to a valid comparison.