Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Taycan Takedown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a fascinating chapter in automotive history. I can't wait to hear from Tesla exactly what the Model S mods are and exactly what times it's doing.
Meantime, I'm getting sick of people getting all het up about the comparison. Until both sides show and tell all the details, we should just enjoy it and not fight and moan about it.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
If that is the case then they didn't run it stock, since as far as I can tell the Turbo is only available with all season tires.
The press photos look like Michelin Pilot Sports of some variety to me. I guess we'll have to wait until they're in dealers to know for sure!
Hard to believe that Porsche wouldn't use summer tires on a Turbo (haha) model. Maybe they're trying to get better EPA numbers.

This is a fascinating chapter in automotive history. I can't wait to hear from Tesla exactly what the Model S mods are and exactly what times it's doing.
Meantime, I'm getting sick of people getting all het up about the comparison. Until both sides show and tell all the details, we should just enjoy it and not fight and moan about it.

Exactly. Let's wait and see until these cars are really out there as production cars and can be independently tested.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Gotta love Porsche for their option pricing... Porsche Taycan configurator has a $500 option for... an mp3 file of motor noise - Electrek

The Taycan is a big departure for Porsche in that it’s their first EV, but there are definitely some ways it really feels like a Porsche. For example, the Taycan offers an insane amount of options — something Porsche is famous for. One of those options is Porsche’s “Electric Sport Sound,” a $500 option that adds fake, electric-like engine noises to the car. The “Electric Sport Sound” is described on Porsche’s configurator thusly:

Porsche Electric Sport Sound enhances the vehicle’s own sound and makes it sound even more emotional — both outside and inside the vehicle. Can be activated/deactivated via Porsche Communication Management (PCM). It costs $500, and is listed under the “performance” section of the configurator, alongside options like rear steering, dynamic chassis control, and brake upgrades.

Sometimes you can take loads of cachet value and just turn it into loads of Cash!

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
But isn't that on a Turbo S and not a Turbo? Show me where on the ordering page for a Turbo you can get summer tires. (It says all season everywhere, in fact if you pick the 21" Mission E wheels it tells you that you have to approve switching the tires to all season.) And what they ran on the track was on the 21" Misson E wheels.

You are probably looking at the US site. But in Germany the default is summer tires and a winter wheel set is optional.

Maybe that is it, and in the US you can't get summer tires at all. I looked on the Germany site but I couldn't find anywhere that it specified what kind of tires you got on the 21" Mission E wheels.

Goodyear EAGLE F1 ASYMMETRIC 3

This is what Jonny Smith drove.

marks are shaved but still recognizable

Untitled-3.jpg

Frankfurt expo:

Untitled-4.jpg

Stock photo

Capture.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Additional details here from Electrek... Tesla 'Plaid' Model S crushes Porsche Taycan's Nürburgring time, witness says - Electrek

Nonetheless, it’s clear that Tesla wants to push those vehicles to their limits on the demanding racetrack and according to German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport, they brought Nordschleife expert Thomas Mutsch, amongst others, to drive the cars. The magazine has an “observer” at the track who reportedly recorded Mutsch doing a 7:23 minutes lap in one of the modified Tesla Model S vehicles:

“But what the new drive can do he has already shown on some very fast laps. Our observer reports a hand-stopped lap time of 7:23 minutes – as I said: hand-stopped with corresponding inaccuracies. But that would be about 20 seconds faster than that Porsche Taycan. The weather conditions on Monday (16.9.) were rather cool with 18 degrees and heavy cloud cover.”

Porsche claimed the Nürburgring racetrack ‘electric four-door’ record with the Taycan completing a 7:42 minutes lap last month. Tesla’s new time isn’t likely to be official, but the company has been rumored to have some time slots to attempt record times later this month.

Reactions: dfwatt