Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TEPCO/CHAdeMO Level III "quick" charging station/connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vacaville has been terminally down...

There is a working one in Cypress, CA (SoCal) at a Mitsubishi site. (Hello, i-MiEV.)
There is a semi-private one at the fuel cell research center in Sacramento.
There is one under construction at VW ERL in Belmont, CA.
City of Palo Alto is in the process of ordering one or more.

There are some others in various states of progress.
So, California seems to be finally moving forward... (Hopefully to catch up and surpass Washington/Oregon/Texas...)

Would that cord be long enough to plug into a Model S? I know it is CHAdeMO and it won't work, but are they just catering to Leafs (Leaves?)?

Yeah, I was thinking about that... Seems intended for cars with "nose ports" (e.g., LEAF)

If Tesla were to make a CHAdeMO to Model S adapter that was a ~3 foot cable (like they did with J1772->Roadster) then it could work...

Reverse in.

hmm... might not reach the port on the Model S even if it was backed into the spot. Which side is the CHAdeMO port on the i-MiEV.

It appears to also be on the drivers side ...

mitsubishi-iMiev-Big.png

... and on the passenger side ...

mitsubishi-iMiev-charging.png

Either way this car is probably so small you could get the port close enough even if it looks like you parked like an idiot.

EDIT:

Looking at more pictures, and this one with lettering I am thinking drivers side! Unless they have a CHAdeMO port on one side, and an AC port on the other?

r3_4_driver_wheel_turned.jpg

EDIT2:

Ok after this pic I am thinking CHAdeMO is on the passenger side. I don't know what that port on the drivers side is.

charging_station_02.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at more pictures, and this one with lettering I am thinking drivers side! Unless they have a CHAdeMO port on one side, and an AC port on the other?
The photos I've looked at (as well as the ones you've posted) suggest the CHAdeMO is on the left side and J1772 on the right side of the i-MiEV. (Not sure if that changes for RHD versus LHD cars.) So looks like this charging station is made specifically for the Leaf.

The photos I've looked at (as well as the ones you've posted) suggest the CHAdeMO is on the left side and J1772 on the right side of the i-MiEV. (Not sure if that changes for RHD versus LHD cars.) So looks like this charging station is made specifically for the Leaf.

This is correct regarding MiEV (I drive one). Just back it in, I say.