Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Begrudgingly “Recalls” FSD Beta for NHTSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this will be a sticky on all of the vehicle forums shortly:

(moderator note: related threads here…)
FSD Recall? in Software
Recall FUD in Uk

46071715365_d36a6e2bf4_b (1).jpg

"Full Self Driving Tesla" by rulenumberone2 is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you actually read the 4 scenarios laid out? All it would require is modifying some functions specifically related to those, Tesla might even already have a toggle that they can just disable (just like the rolling stop recall). NHTSA does not give a hard immediate deadline either, only says an update will be issued in the coming weeks.

Completely disagree it means finishing FSD.
Where can I read about the four scenarios & the full NHTSA document? I can’t find it on their website.

One of my biggest complaints about FSD beta is that it ignores school speed zones. That alone should trigger a NHTSA recall.

Reactions: 2101Guy
The dramatic article title says NHTSA recalls affected Teslas. But the body of the article says "Documents show that Tesla decided to administer the voluntary recall out of an abundance of caution on February 7, 2023".

Toward the beginning of the document it looks like Tesla was shown the voluntary recall door.

"Chronology : - On January 25, 2023, as part of regular ongoing communications between Tesla and NHTSA relating to Autopilot and FSD Beta, NHTSA advised Tesla that it had identified potential concerns related to certain operational characteristics of FSD Beta in four specific roadway environments, as described above. NHTSA requested that Tesla address these concerns by filing a recall notice."

Surely we all know there is no OTA update fix for these things that have existed since the dawn of FSD time.

I think this very well may open the door for refunds or forcing hardware upgrades. A system that is being recalled for these things is obviously not capable of operating at a safety level far in excess of a human, and that’s what Tesla could argue most people have actually paid for even discarding the Robotaxi promises.

Reactions: kadify and 2101Guy
As someone has previously mentioned - the biggest issue is really that most of these issues are long standing FSDb issues, but Tesla just decided to not bother fixing them or even slightly improve them, it just hasn't been seen as a problem.
The not slowing down for speed limit changes on FSDb has been annoying me since 10.3, while it has never been an issue with AP.

Surely we all know there is no OTA update fix for these things that have existed since the dawn of FSD time.

I think this very well may open the door for refunds or forcing hardware upgrades. A system that is being recalled for these things is obviously not capable of operating at a safety level far in excess of a human, and that’s what Tesla could argue most people have actually paid for even discarding the Robotaxi promises.
Baby steps….but the attention recently that FSD has gotten lately? Class actions, phantom braking accident in San Francisco involving multiple cars, recalls…

Yep…the ball has started rolling..

"3) adjusting vehicle speed while traveling through certain variable speed zones, based on detected speed limit signage and/or the vehicle's speed offset setting that is adjusted by the driver;"

It might not be fair because I don't think there's such an automatic speed adjustment mandate for other ADAS such as Ford Blue Cruse, GM Super Cruise...

I don't think an ADAS is required to adjust speed. If necessary, drivers still have to adjust speed appropriately.

It's another story if it's an L3 or L4 to demand speed compliance but we are talking about FSD beta.

You have your dreams. Mine involve Musk peering out between the bars in a CA prison cell. Oh well, we can both have our dreams.

And why should we discard the robotaxi promises? I was ready to get rich renting my Teslas and passed up other business opportunities, thereby detrimentally relying on those promises.😈

Reactions: terranx and 2101Guy
Musk has an uncontrollable propensity for exaggeration. FSD and Santa Clause have always been in same league, myths. FSD has struggled -- and failed -- to achieve L3 autonomous driving. It will never attain L4 or L5 autonomy -- or "FSD" as Musk has peddled it. First, the entire traffic infrastructure (roads, traffic, lights, etc), will need to be updated to deploy geofencing which in turn will enable vehicles to reliably communicate with each other -- and the road. So, don't be so gullible when Musk makes claims like Robotaxi will launch by the end 2020, etc, etc, etc.

levels-of-driving-automation.jpeg