Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Toyota to build new electric car plant in Tianjin | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Toyota Motor has decided to build a plant in the Chinese city of Tianjin to jointly produce electric and plug-in hybrid cars with a local company.

Sources say the Japanese automaker has filed an application to construct the facility in a special economic development zone.

Toyota is expected to invest more than 1.2 billion dollars to manufacture some 200,000 units annually. It plans to complete the plant by the early 2020s.

[...]​

Renault has made a transformer concept:

The EV can grow or shrink (at least length-wise). First I did not get the point of extending the nose of the car (not the cabin!), but then they explain in the video that it gives space to add more floor-mounted batteries. So you can have a small range city car and when you want to go for a road trip, you go to a station where extra battery pack is added to the bottom of the stretched version.

• Funny
Reactions: Doggydogworld
BMW says they are targeting a 270 mile EPA range for the i4 concept, with an 80 kWh battery.

Finally, BMW is taking a run at the 2012 Model S!:rolleyes:

BMW’s electric i4 sedan finally shown off in concept form

I know you're trying to make a funny but if you put a 2012 Model S next to a 2020 Model S, an outsider will have a hard time telling the difference. I'm very happy that other manufacturers are stepping up and I hope with all my heart that this i4 will be a serious wake up call for Tesla.

The range and power will be perfectly fine. Tesla can keep beating their chest with more range and maybe faster acceleration, but that's not everything in a car. A dated, noisy and un-ergonomic low quality interior does not make up for that.

With how little seems to have been improved in the new Model Y, I'm more and more sure Tesla's glory days are numbered.

I know you're trying to make a funny but if you put a 2012 Model S next to a 2020 Model S, an outsider will have a hard time telling the difference. I'm very happy that other manufacturers are stepping up and I hope with all my heart that this i4 will be a serious wake up call for Tesla.

The range and power will be perfectly fine. Tesla can keep beating their chest with more range and maybe faster acceleration, but that's not everything in a car. A dated, noisy and un-ergonomic low quality interior does not make up for that.

With how little seems to have been improved in the new Model Y, I'm more and more sure Tesla's glory days are numbered.
You say "as an outsider" but maybe you mean "from the outside"? We have a 2012 Model S P85, and I test drove a 2019 S P100D (pre-raven) last year. While lots of things were the same, lots of things were different, and the difference was "chalk and cheese". Today's car is 80% better and 10% cheaper. Oh, and a lot quieter too.

Anyone looking at the front will see the difference immediately.

That’s only cosmetic, and by far the least important of the differences, but it is immediately obvious.

Anyone flooring it will know the difference immediately, too.

And then there’s Autopilot...