Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the plan is to make one or two of these, they probably do have used packs sitting around from the test program. If they plan for this to be a production item, they are doing something wrong if many packs are failing QA or they have a lot of packs failing in the field coming back and being swapped out. Either way if they have enough used and/or rejected batteries to make more than a few of these, they are doing something wrong.
It's Audi. Always guess one-off.

Audi ...most interesting part of it is that it uses 4,500 second life li-ion battery cells from the e-Tron. That sounds like a lot, but if it is really referring to cells that would be from just over 10 e-Tron battery packs. So with cars what just over a year old they already have plenty of failed packs to use to other purposes.

Quality control is not a problem unique to Audi or their cell supplier.

What has not been widely reported is that Panasonic had fundamental issues at Gigafactory, a large percentage of cells were failing quality control and this was hampering Model 3 production growth. Don't quote me, this is my recollection, numbers like 30% (!!) of cells were mentioned in articles that talked to "unnamed sources familiar with the matter".

If some of the cells were suitable for another purpose, then it makes sense to use them rather than scrap/recycle them from an input materials and carbon intensity perspective.

A ID.3 preorder holder has received an email with actual vehicle prices from VW: VW ID.3 1st prices finally announced : electricvehicles

"
So, today the VW distributor sent out an email to all those with preorders with the likely prices of the 3 trim levels of the ID.3 1st.

ID.3 1ST base: under kr. 355.000,-* (36,000 US$) ID.3 1ST Plus: under kr. 405.000,-* (41,000 US$) ID.3 1ST Max: under kr. 455.000,-* (46,000 US$)

Prices in US$ rounded up.

This is more than was indicated originally - the base was announced at “less than 330,000 NOK” (33,000 US$) but the pandemic has crashed the NOK and it just doesn’t get you as many € as it did last year. The prices may change by the time they are fixed for the orders proper next month but it’s unlikely the NOK will recover substantially by then.

Prices for additional optional winter packages and bicycle tow hitch etc haven’t been announced yet.

I have already seen quite a few people saying they will cancel because of the prices. Not surprising as the Polestar 2 gives more range, AWD, better performance and proper towing capability for just 14,000NOK (1400 US$) more than the ID.3 1st Max.
"

For comparison, the Model 3 SR+ is roughly 430,000 NOK and the LR AWD is 485,000 NOK.

Last edited:
For comparison, the Model 3 SR+ is roughly 430,000 NOK and the LR AWD is 485,000 NOK.

And feature wise, it looks like the Max trim is what you need to match the SR+ features-set. It has a 58 kWh pack, 420 km WLTP range (SR+ is 409 km), and here are the 1ST features:

"Plus trim brings a rear-view camera, adaptive cruise control, keyless entry and 19in wheels, while range-topping Max includes a Beats sound system, a panoramic glass roof and 20in wheels. "

From 2020 Volkswagen ID 3 electric car revealed: price, specs and release date

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Exactly. I'll be shocked if the range is more than 220 miles EPA for $50k (poor aerodynamics and other inefficiencies).

The true test of EV mileage is actually driving the car. My 100% SOC range is 266 miles (342Wh/mi). The EPA filing is 351 miles.
It's the longest range EV SUV made but not by as much as you'd think. The I-Pace gets about the same Wh/mi.

• Disagree
The true test of EV mileage is actually driving the car. My 100% SOC range is 266 miles (342Wh/mi). The EPA filing is 351 miles.
It's the longest range EV SUV made but not by as much as you'd think. The I-Pace gets about the same Wh/mi.

How do you drive the car? I am lucky to get much above 200 miles in my I-PACE with how I drive. Also worth noting that the Model X is a fair bit larger and heavier than the I-PACE so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
That's a lie.
How do you drive the car? I am lucky to get much above 200 miles in my I-PACE with how I drive. Also worth noting that the Model X is a fair bit larger and heavier than the I-PACE so it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
I drive both of them the same. Same route. The kWh I use daily is not that different at the end of the week when I recharge. Both suck down about 60-65 kWh a week. The newer flash made a marked improvement in the Jag.

But feel free to do your own unbiased testing.

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister
I drive both of them the same. Same route. The kWh I use daily is not that different at the end of the week when I recharge. Both suck down about 60-65 kWh a week. The newer flash made a marked improvement in the Jag.

But feel free to do your own unbiased testing.

Does your route have many uphill bits? I'm imagining the extra weight of the Model X could cause it to disproportionately lose range if so. The update on the I-PACE did indeed help and I don't drive a Model X for comparison. Although with the sort of fragmented journeys I mainly do the I-PACE's range is not too different to the Model 3 SR+. Maybe an extra 20 miles or so. I was expecting the Model X LR+ would give a bit more range.

Construction of electric car plant at Casa Grande

534a62341513a979015da7fcbb3e5401.jpg

This might be the right place for the Nikola Motor interview (Rob Maurer interviews Trevor Milton):

Am I the only one who thinks it's unfair to outright call him a scammer? I would not invest in the company because any car company that is not Tesla has a high risk of failing, but I'd like to give him the benefit of doubt.

• Helpful