Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Broken into - twice in two weeks, weak spot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No inside ultrasonics in US models.
No knee airbags in EU models.
No Active hood in US models.

Tesla should stop cutting costs on such crucial security elements of the car.
They deploy what is just enough to get 5 stars in local security tests(euroncap etc.), and they ignore the fact that that equipment is important for everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: dow and phaduman
I had my Saab broken into (years ago) - ripped out the dash to salvage a radio that may have got them $50 - and cost me $2,000.
What I learned - the alarm sounded, but nobody came to the rescue. The parking lot attendant wrote down the time of the break-in, but "there are bad guys down there, and I'm not going to interfere". The cops were reluctant to take a report (crime against property is not as important as crimes against people). The fingerprints/screwdriver left behind were not of interest to them. It became an insurance problem, not a crime.
Now I look at alarms of all types as placebos'. Park better

Last night my Tesla got broken in for the second time in Oakland, in less than two weeks. I had just gotten my car fixed the day before... The thieves followed the exact same pattern both times.

1) break rear quarter window from the passenger side (small one)
2) stick hand and unlatch single rear seat
3) check what's inside the trunk
4) if there are valuables, break rear window
5) get in the car through the window and steal everything

The alarm was not triggered as the doors were not opened. Replacing the small quarter window is $1100 as they have to replace the whole frame for both doors, big window is about $400. The first time a couple of guys "found" some of the belongings that were exchanged for money, very shady dudes; both homeless and one of them had a linkedin! that looked like a real scam (don't trust linkedin :D)

The dealer told that there has been a spike in break ins in San Francisco and that every weekend they get a car or two with broken windows. I am going to install the BlackVue cameras but I still think that the biggest problem here is that the thieves found a weak spot in the Teslas that makes it very vulnerable. I've even started to think how to reinforce the quarter window, if you look at it it's right by the seat latch. Have you guys seen this problem? Any ideas what to do?

I am now leaving no cover in the trunk but not sure how much it's going to help.

That blows but there is no break-in proof car. I lived in an area(not there anymore!) where my car was broken into multiple times(to steal stereo) by busting the window. I added a high end security system with pager(this was awhile back lol). At 2am my pagers going off my car alarm is blazing...by the time I stagger out to my car, window is broken and stereo gone.

• Helpful
Reactions: dow
If you decide to install a BlackVue, just make sure it is discrete, as that in itself may make your car a target and get stolen. Now, if you can make it so the video is continuously uploaded to the cloud, then you may have something there. If you are parked on the street though, you likely don't have wifi, and data use would be tremendous.

Don't fret. Illegals may have done it and will deported when caught. Oh, wait your in California, strike that!
Seriously?

Sorry to hear that happen twice to your car. Whenever I have to park my car in the street in SF or oakland I leave absolutely nothing uncovered. Everything goes in either the glovebox, frunk, or under the rear trunk so when you look inside it's completely empty. Even articles or clothing, grocery bags, phone chargers and cables, etc. Also if you need to put a camera bag or laptop bag away I usually do that BEFORE I arrive at the street parking destination.

Everything goes in either the glovebox, frunk, or under the rear trunk so when you look inside it's completely empty. Even articles or clothing, grocery bags, phone chargers and cables, etc.

@xbox4me62 You did notice that he said that they broke the little window, and folded the seat down so that they could see if there was anything out of sight. So what you are doing wouldn't have helped. Other than putting something in the Frunk that they can't see without actually opening it. (And they wouldn't even have to break anything to upon the Frunk on the "newer" Teslas.)

Seriously?

Sorry to hear that happen twice to your car. Whenever I have to park my car in the street in SF or oakland I leave absolutely nothing uncovered. Everything goes in either the glovebox, frunk, or under the rear trunk so when you look inside it's completely empty. Even articles or clothing, grocery bags, phone chargers and cables, etc. Also if you need to put a camera bag or laptop bag away I usually do that BEFORE I arrive at the street parking destination.
Unfortunately, even that doesn't help if you are in a rental car with luggage in the covered hatch (as we were) on your last night in SF before you go to the airport.

We stopped at Pier 39 for a bite to eat and a look at the sea lions before we headed to the airport. Came back to a broken hatch window and a card from the police. They had (most of) our stuff, as they interrupted the break-in. Thieves got away with one bag with some hats, gloves, ski pants and a tablet. COPS SAID THEY HAD REPORTS OF 70-80 BREAK-INS ON RENTAL CARS THAT WEEKEND!

This is going to seem like an asshole question but... Why are you leaving your 6 figure car parked outside in Oakland?

Fair question.. the answer is I work really hard and I don't get anything for free, I bought a car like this to drive it and go to places not to have it parked inside my garage and then have to take a stinky Uber out of fear, Oakland or San Francisco no difference... BTW I did not have anything at all in plain sight, one time it was parked across a movie theater, second time I left it in a well lit parking lot that was full.

Sounds like the 70s & 80s all over again.

It sure feels like it! I believe these crooks have some level of sophistication as they methodically went through the same steps, it was not opportunistic as nothing was visible inside the car. Because of this, I do believe that an additional deterrent could have helped.

These guys were explicitly avoiding triggering the alarm. I believe that if our TESLAS had a more advanced ALARM system it could stop a thief from going into the trunk and stealing your valuables. May be it wouldn't avoid a broken window but word would spread amongst crooks that TESLAs are just a little bit more difficult... and that's all we need for them to look into other easier targets...

Heck, Elon could actually give us controls in our iPhones to fight the thieves by using the doors to hit the crooks where it hurts or shock them like a taser.

@xbox4me62 You did notice that he said that they broke the little window, and folded the seat down so that they could see if there was anything out of sight. So what you are doing wouldn't have helped. Other than putting something in the Frunk that they can't see without actually opening it. (And they wouldn't even have to break anything to upon the Frunk on the "newer" Teslas.)

Agreed nothing was visible! After this event I thought about using the Frunk and oh boy was I for a surprise... Just gotta bring a big backpack and take everything with me when I park and then leave the car open with windows rolled down... LOL

There are anti-burglar films available. I'm thinking that window would be fine to be covered, unlikely it would be needed for access in an emergency.

I believe a comment above implied that would actually help the thief - the window would come out more easily? Is this because the way it is mounted?

These films are clear. Not sure how they would hold up in an automotive type environment, or if they would be applied inside or outside.

@xbox4me62 ... Other than putting something in the Frunk that they can't see without actually opening it. (And they wouldn't even have to break anything to upon the Frunk on the "newer" Teslas.)
You don't have to break anything on "any and all " Tesla's to get into the frunk; not just "newer" ones...

In actuality, they made it less simple to pop the frunk in the "newer" facelift MS, with two release latches; one behind each inner wheel well. However, the pre-facelift is quite quick and simple; albeit cumbersome. The MX is by far the easiest though, with a simple cover pop and pull the release.

Regardless, I do think it's important for owner's to be aware of the security risk. The frunk gives the appearance of the most secure area on our vehicles, but in reality, it is the most vulnerable.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that you're dealing more with bad luck than bad design. Windows are a weak spot for any car, and back seats go down in that manner for lots of cars. It stinks, but that's how it is.

I don't put much stock in an alarm doing much to prevent it, either. I don't think many cars have glass break sensors in stock, and you don't always want one. I had an aftermarket one at one time, and the damn thing went off so often from false alarms that I disconnected it. All sorts of things would set it off.

Anyhow, the only time bad guys run from a car alarm is in a car alarm commercial.

Reactions: dow and CalBlue 85D
You don't have to break anything on "any and all " Tesla's to get into the frunk; not just "newer" ones...

Nope, on the older Model S you had to pull the release that was located inside under the glove box. So you would have to break a window to get into the car to get into the Frunk: "Opening with No Power
If Model S has no electrical power, or if you are unable to open the front trunk using the touchscreen or key, pull the mechanical release lever located below the glove box. This releases the primary catch."

You could remove the parcel shelf, so at least the crook doesn't haven't to break anything to look in the trunk.

Sorry to hear about the brake-ins, I would recommend the 2 channel BlackVue with a MiFi box (can get expensive if you don't pick the right rate plan or correct sensitivity to record.) in the glove box to send to the cloud. However, there are blind spots on the side of the car. This could be resolved by adding a cam in the rear pointing to the front.

Maybe executive rear seats would prevent anyone from getting into the trunk from the window.

Detailed pics of my Executive rear seats in our P90DL

Unfortunately, even that doesn't help if you are in a rental car with luggage in the covered hatch (as we were) on your last night in SF before you go to the airport.

We stopped at Pier 39 for a bite to eat and a look at the sea lions before we headed to the airport. Came back to a broken hatch window and a card from the police. They had (most of) our stuff, as they interrupted the break-in. Thieves got away with one bag with some hats, gloves, ski pants and a tablet. COPS SAID THEY HAD REPORTS OF 70-80 BREAK-INS ON RENTAL CARS THAT WEEKEND!
sadly this is not an uncommon story in almost any part of the world.
I am not harping on you but people should know better than to leave their car full of possessions in an unsecured location!

• Disagree
Reactions: dow