Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla CHAdeMo Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a suspicion that the Chademo adapter will be released soon. The Plugshare guy who drove 12k miles in the epic road trip was caught using one at a Nissan dealership but then word got out and the photo with the adapter was edited to remove it. That tells me there's some sort of beta program that Tesla is running with select individuals. If that's the case, it shouldn't be much longer before the adapter is released.

Probably because the guy likely signed a nondisclosure agreement in order to be a tester. By posting a photo of it, in all probability, he was violating the NDA. Of note, it was the guy who removed the adapter in the pic on his own and not because Tesla came down on him. However, you never really know.

Probably because the guy likely signed a nondisclosure agreement in order to be a tester. By posting a photo of it, in all probability, he was violating the NDA. Of note, it was the guy who removed the adapter in the pic on his own and not because Tesla came down on him. However, you never really know.
Sounds plausible. The guy probably just wanted to preempt any legal trouble he might get into with that picture. It could also be possible for Tesla to send him a C&D letter, but I don't see them doing something like that for something so minor.

With the rapid expansion of the SC network in both the US and EU I think there will be much less demand. I know 4 months ago I KNEW I needed the adaptor, now I'm not so sure. It's expensive.

Still some empty space where I'd like to travel. TN has a lot of them because it is where the LEAF is built.
BztELrZ.png

Still some empty space where I'd like to travel. TN has a lot of them because it is where the LEAF is built.
View attachment 50269
I'm one of those who'll jump in once the adapter is available. Even by the end of 2015, there will still be a lot of empty spots in TN, KY, IN or rural IL if you try to make a bee-line between NE Florida and Chicago but I know that even now, the Plugshare app shows a fair amount of CHAdeMO stations along that direction. Why lengthen the trip by going up to MD and then cutting across to IL?

shared CHAdeMO adapter

if I can find the right model, I'm thinking about purchasing a chademo adapter for shared use by Sacramento region Tesla drivers. Has everyone else considered a model to share the cost? Our am i going to be noted as being silly for worrying about something that cost only about 1% of the cost of the car?
As a Tesla driver would you be interested in a shared regional ownership model of a charger? Or do you see that being too complex or problematic?
What kind of sharing model, if any, would make sense to you?
Guy

I've always thought it would be a nice touch if Tesla service centers and/or galleries would RENT out a CHAdeMo adapter (taking a credit card swipe in case it's not returned, etc). At the proposed price, it really doesn't make sense for an individual user to buy the adapter if they don't travel along CHAdeMo routes often. By renting out these adapters as needed, Tesla can make an even clearer statement that the Model S can realistically do road trips on more routes.

I've always thought it would be a nice touch if Tesla service centers and/or galleries would RENT out a CHAdeMo adapter (taking a credit card swipe in case it's not returned, etc). At the proposed price, it really doesn't make sense for an individual user to buy the adapter if they don't travel along CHAdeMo routes often. By renting out these adapters as needed, Tesla can make an even clearer statement that the Model S can realistically do road trips on more routes.

+1000

Today, I received Tesla response about CHAdeMO adapter status:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. Unfortunately, we do not have an update available for you at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will be sure to contact you as soon as it is available.

Best,

If the Service Centers don't rent these out, we will. They will be UPS shipped to you at the start of your trip, then either keep it or return it for a refund, less the rental amount.

+1

I plan on going to Kentucky soon and it would be nice to rent the adapter. After this trip the superchargers should be in place before I go there again. So renting makes perfect sense.

if I can find the right model, I'm thinking about purchasing a chademo adapter for shared use by Sacramento region Tesla drivers. Has everyone else considered a model to share the cost? Our am i going to be noted as being silly for worrying about something that cost only about 1% of the cost of the car?
As a Tesla driver would you be interested in a shared regional ownership model of a charger? Or do you see that being too complex or problematic?
What kind of sharing model, if any, would make sense to you?
Guy

I have thought about this. You could start a business where you rent out CHAdeMO adaptors. Alternately, you could find a few friends in your area and jointly purchase one or two to share.

Best would be to place these adapters at the CHAdeMo stations. That's the only place where they are needed. I know this is not going to happen as they can't be secured there. Honestly this whole situation with the different charging standards and networks is ridiculous and a big annoyance.