Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

tesla charging extension cord

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
using 110 right now...
already have tesla adapter for dryer ....but im 15 feet to short..i know its froned about to use an extension cord for tesla charging...would only be once in awhile
any recomedation for a dryer extension to tesla..so obviously dryer outlet is 240

was thinking this

thanks
That's a safety rated extension cord, so I don't see any reason why it would not work. Give it a try.

The worst that can happen is that your breaker will trip if you try to draw more power than it can handle.

Reactions: rpiotro
That's a safety rated extension cord, so I don't see any reason why it would not work. Give it a try.

The worst that can happen is that your breaker will trip if you try to draw more power than it can handle.
Not exactly the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing that can happen is the breaker doesn't trip, and the wire burns up while charging because it's undersized or the insulation is defective. It does say it's 10AWG so theoretically it should be fine for a 14-30, especially for a relatively short distance like 15 ft, but it's not unheard of that the sellers lie about the wire size/specs.

For at least the first session (if not others) I would check the cable to see if it gets hot anywhere under full power charging for a few hours.

@dcjcdc I would personally find an option that ships from Amazon (your option seems to only come from third party sellers directly). This makes returns much easier if the cable turns out to be defective. You just return it to Amazon and they handle everything. If it ships from the third party, you are at the mercy of that third party.

Not exactly the worst thing that can happen. The worst thing that can happen is the breaker doesn't trip, and the wire burns up while charging because it's undersized or the insulation is defective. It does say it's 10AWG so theoretically it should be fine for a 14-30, especially for a relatively short distance like 15 ft, but it's not unheard of that the sellers lie about the wire size/specs.

I agree that a cable without any 3rd party safety certification may be subject to that worst case scenario risk. This one does have a UL listing certification. The touch test is a surface level approach, but not reliable. Nonetheless, I do know first-hand of the rigorous testing these cables undergo during the UL safety certification process to anticipate usage under incorrect/incompatible current application.

Correct specs, UL/cUL approved, solid reviews (that read like actual end users), they sell the same product at Home Depot, they have an independent web presence (i.e., not just an Amazon storefront).

I'm all for practicing extreme safety when it comes to this sort of thing, but I'd personally use the product in the OP's original post.

Reactions: pikeman and rpiotro
I agree that a cable without any 3rd party safety certification may be subject to that worst case scenario risk. This one does have a UL listing certification. The touch test is a surface level approach, but not reliable. Nonetheless, I do know first-hand of the rigorous testing these cables undergo during the UL safety certification process to anticipate usage under incorrect/incompatible current application.
They can lie about UL/CE approval too, that's also fairly common. Unless you can independently verify that particular model of cable is UL approved (for example at UL's website) it's hard to tell if it's legit. They can even play tricks like getting it certified and then using more shoddy materials when it comes time to make yours (from description it sounds like it is made to order).

I'm only this paranoid because it's from third party sellers and on Amazon, where counterfeits and lying about product specs is common. I would be less concerned if it's a commonly carried big name brand from a big box store (where both brands have reputation to maintain and risk of counterfeits/fakes are less).

Yes touch test is not 100% reliable, but it's pretty much the easiest test for anyone to do without needing special tools or taking the cable apart, and works decently well if the cable was under full continuous load for hours (almost guaranteed to get hot if significantly undersized).

Last edited:
Home Depot/Lowes sell heavy duty extension cords. Get something rated for around 50 amps. Maybe something like this?
Connectors are wrong there. OP needs a 14-30 extension, and that's more like a twist lock. Also most 50 amp extensions come with 14-50 connections, which would not plug into a 14-30, plus it would force you to use a 14-50 adapter on mobile connector, which means you have to manually dial down the current, which is less safe. Far better to just get a cord that is 14-30 on both ends.

Reactions: whiskeylover
People frown on extension cords because they either don't have a real understanding of electricity, or they are frowning on low quality, undersized conductor extension cords. However, it is better to er on the side of caution, so it's not really a bad belief to hold that all extension cords are bad, but it's not always correct. Wiring is wiring, it doesn't matter if it is in your walls or outside, as long as the wiring is rated for the job at hand.

The one you linked from Amazon would be perfectly fine. It has 10AWG wire, which in a 2 conductor (2+ground) jacketed cable is rated for 30A. If you're really nervous I would contact the company directly and ask for their UL Listed number, then you can look it up and verify if it is legit.

You can enter UL listed numbers here:

Reactions: rpiotro
I needed an extra 7 ft so I could part my tesla in the straight spot in my driveway and my classic closer to the garage, I bought this, it plugs into my outlet (well NeoCharge because I split with my dryer) and then the mobile charger plugins into this, then into my car. No issues at all. there isn’t any difference between this and wiring an outlet closer. It’s electrical wire and the gauge is plenty thick.

it’s been about 8 months, no issues at all!

Last edited by a moderator: