Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla EV Tax Credits coming back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry but no. The House bill does not say this. It says the credit applies to all EVs “acquired after December 31, 2021.” There is no “whichever is later” for the credit. I see no reason this part would change.
I just read it again and the language is still there. Search "to ensure that each vehicle"

Edit: this may be incorrect

Last edited:
Reports this morning are that there is growing consensus amongst Democratic leadership the bill will not be touched until 2022. With debt ceiling discussions, the Parliamentarian timeline, and desire to wait for more inflation reports and further CBO data there is almost 0 chance the bill will be discussed before winter recess.
Yep, don't see it passing before 31 Dec....if at all.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Yes, I think you are correct. I just looked at the bill. It doesn't have the language that says the later of the dates. We should be good as long as they don't amend it.

Bill Text
"
``Sec. 45Y. Qualified commercial electric vehicle credit.''.
(c) Effective Date.--The amendments made by this section shall
apply to vehicles acquired after December 31, 2021."

I am no expert but the link you provide also says this...

(A) to ensure that each vehicle manufactured by
such manufacturer after the later of the date on which
such agreement takes effect or December 31, 2021, and
that meets the requirements of subparagraphs (D), (E),
and (F) of paragraph (1) and paragraph (6) of
subsection (e) is labeled with a unique vehicle
identification number, and

Which is found in section:
`SEC. 36C. NEW QUALIFIED PLUG-IN ELECTRIC DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLES.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I am no expert but the link you provide also says this...

(A) to ensure that each vehicle manufactured by
such manufacturer after the later of the date on which
such agreement takes effect or December 31, 2021, and
that meets the requirements of subparagraphs (D), (E),
and (F) of paragraph (1) and paragraph (6) of
subsection (e) is labeled with a unique vehicle
identification number, and

Which is found in section:
`SEC. 36C. NEW QUALIFIED PLUG-IN ELECTRIC DRIVE MOTOR VEHICLES.
That’s not the effective date. That’s a specific requirement on how manufacturers need to label their vehicles. It has nothing to do with which vehicles qualify for the credit.

That’s not the effective date. That’s a specific requirement on how manufacturers need to label their vehicles. It has nothing to do with which vehicles qualify for the credit.

Thanks for clarifying that as I read it to mean the vehicle needs to be manufactured after the later date of December 31, 2021 or the effective date of the bill. I have never been good at reading these types of legal documents.

Would be good news, otherwise, would pose a logistical nightmare for Tesla and Tesla buyers trying to time the effective date.

...In the interest of keeping this on-topic, might I suggest people stop trying to turn this thread into their political soapbox...
I agree to a certain extent, but the question of the bill's passage is very much related to the fact that the worthwhile spending on sustainable energy is included in a huge social program spending spree. The spending that we are discussing here, tax credits, would have better placed in the compromise infrastructure bill, where it would have had support on both sides of the political aisle. The question of passage is definitely related to the politics of social spending and the amount of spending on the energy questions. By combining so many issues, the whole question is mired in the barely relevant reconciliation procedure.

My two cents, I'm pessimistic about the bill's passage and therefore no tax credits. I'd love to see the provisions separated and maybe the tax credits passed on their own.

I have no horse in the race. I took delivery of my Model Y in early September at a price $6,500 less than the current price and no $3,645 NJ sales tax. I'm enjoying the car rather than sweating out the tax credits.

I am also seeing this after the section going over new plug-in electric credit:

``Sec. 36C. New qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicles.''.
(e) Effective Dates.--
(1) The amendments made by subsections (a), (c), and (d) of
this section shall apply to vehicles acquired after December
31, 2021.
(2) The amendments made by subsection (b) shall apply to
vehicles purchased or leased after December 31, 2022.

Reactions: Fluffhead
Thanks for clarifying that as I read it to mean the vehicle needs to be manufactured after the later date of December 31, 2021 or the effective date of the bill. I have never been good at reading these types of legal documents.

Would be good news, otherwise, would pose a logistical nightmare for Tesla and Tesla buyers trying to time the effective date.
It would be worse than that, since it refers to vehicles “manufactured… after,” which would mean that buyers would need to make sure their 2022 Tesla wasn’t manufactured in December to qualify for the credit. Fortunately, that is just a misreading of the bill. Unfortunately, Mr Bearded Tesla Guy is propagating this misreading on his channel, which may cause some of his subscribers to delay their order past Jan 1 if the bill still isn’t passed by them. Which would be too bad for them, though maybe means sooner deliveries for those of us who don’t delay.

Incidentally, I’m fairly optimistic this will pass in some form, though it could stretch into January. Either way, I will buy an EV next year, just hoping to get some of my tax money back…

Just gonna reiterate unless you are a constitutional lawyer and versed in politics, those statements often taken out of context do not mean what you think they mean.

All of this is assumption and guess until a bill passes. But unless you’ve done your cross checking and fully vetted what provisions are included when someone says Dec 31, 2021 applies to sections (a), (c), (d), etc and / or understand which conflicting statement takes precedence it’s very disingenuous to make factual statements.

When the bill passes, we will know. Until it passes everything is up to interpretation. And NEVER assume anything is retroactive until the moment it passes with an explicit retroactive clause.

Hi one genuine question: I saw the "Tesla Vision accept and proceed with delivery" button popped up and so did my VIN in the app. If I continue "not" to click accept, that will hold the order and maybe they will send the warning email later? I'm holding hope for tax credit.
That does not appear to hold the order, per others on this forum

Hi one genuine question: I saw the "Tesla Vision accept and proceed with delivery" button popped up and so did my VIN in the app. If I continue "not" to click accept, that will hold the order and maybe they will send the warning email later? I'm holding hope for tax credit.
I was at the same state and just called to delay until 2021. It's a simple process for those of is who ordered in the past few months.