Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla finally makes a CHAdeMO adapter compatible with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ABB 'Electrify America' chargers are truly massive units. Two have been recently installed in the PNW north of Seattle but I've not seen them being used yet. But I have dug out my old Chademo adapter to carry around once again in the MS so as to check it out once they actually connect these new ABB units.
--

• Informative
Reactions: Talax74
Wow $450!
CAD $602... nickle and dime-ing the case for EV... constant trickle of costs related to charging...
CHAdeMO CAD.png

• Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
Whew!! great news for all those model 3's at ½ charge, driving thru the bad lands on i40, approaching the Fort Smith AR area, either from the east or west, because there is no supercharger there. Been waiting since before the Model 3 wait list opened. Oh wait, no CHAdeMO there either. Baah - never mind ... it's only a major route.
:(
There's now a CHAdeMO charger at the Walmart in Clarkesville, AR courtesy of Electrify America. So, from the east to Ft. Smith and back is now cake if you have an adapter. And the through drive on I-40 between Little Rock, AR and Oklahoma City, OK is now doable with a LR Model 3 + adapter. Though it may be a bit tight or weather dependent even for LRs as OKC to Clarkesville is 250 miles. But it is much easier if you detour through Tulsa. See this post.

My issue with the EA CHAdeMO charging is the per-min rate of 89¢. I charge 20 minutes on a supercharger for about $3. On EA, it would be $17 and I wouldn't have nearly the mileage added. I do like the way Tesla charges on a per-mile basis. It ensures you are getting out what you are paying for, vs. just time spent sit-in there.

My issue with the EA CHAdeMO charging is the per-min rate of 89¢. I charge 20 minutes on a supercharger for about $3. On EA, it would be $17 and I wouldn't have nearly the mileage added. I do like the way Tesla charges on a per-mile basis. It ensures you are getting out what you are paying for, vs. just time spent sit-in there.
I remember the 0~75kw price is 0.25 per minute. You cannot use more than 50kw.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD and SageBrush
Superchargers aren't always per kWh, in Texas and other states where only "utilities" are allowed to charge per kWh, it's priced per minute (though much cheaper than EA, it seems)

Reactions: SammichLover
While I think its great Tesla finally supports CHADEMO, it's a dying standard in the USA and CCS is the real future for non-Tesla vehicles. CHADEMO will be great for those narrow use cases, but those will get fewer and fewer as time goes on and the adapter is darn expensive for what it is.

I carry several 240V adapters in my car to charge with and others, and I plan on getting the CCS adapter once that becomes available. Unfortunately, if you look at high-speed charging for Electrify America as it stands today, it'll cost 2-3x as much (roughly what it costs to drive a 30MPG vehicle on unleaded today if you use EA high-speed charging) compared to a Tesla supercharger for the same amount of energy.

I don't think people speak enough about the Tesla Supercharger network, it's the secret sauce that makes Tesla's better than all other EVs to drive anywhere you want to go and at a cheap price to boot compared to the competition. I'll just carry the CCS adapter as backup for those rare areas I can't get to a supercharger, or some gas explosion closes it down or whatever catastrophic event happens to shut down an important supercharger station (or maybe it's crowded and I need to get somewhere fast), I like to be prepared.

Last edited:
While I think its great Tesla finally supports CHADEMO, it's a dying standard in the USA and CCS ist he real future for non-Tesla vehicles. CHADEMO will be great for those narrow use cases, but those will get fewer and fewer as time goes on and the adapter is darn expensive for what it is.

I carry several 240V adapters in my car to charge with and others, and I plan on getting the CCS adapter once that becomes available. Unfortunately, if you look at high-speed charging for Electrify America as it stands today, it'll cost 2-3x as much (roughly what it costs to drive a 30MPG vehicle on unleaded today if you use EA high-speed charging) compared to a Tesla supercharger for the same amount of energy.

I don't think people speak enough about the Tesla Supercharger network, it's the secret sauce that makes Tesla's better than all other EVs to drive anywhere you want to go and at a cheap price to boot compared to the competition. I'll just carry the CCS adapter as backup for those rare areas I can't get to a supercharger, or some gas explosion closes it down or whatever catastrophic event happens to shut down an important supercharger station (or maybe it's crowded and I need to get somewhere fast), I like to be prepared.

Agreed. CCS as a backup. Electrify America charges a whopping US$.99 per minute for high speed!