Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps in the US where Superchargers are already the norm. But here in Australia, where Tesla might be less willing to invest as heavily in supercharger infrastructure, a bigger range, ie over 1000km, would go a long way to appeasing the majority of the population. It would allow for a Melbourne to Sydney trip on one charge. Perhaps it can be an option.
I personally don't like to drive more than 4 hours without stopping for a significant break. Melbourne-Sydney will certainly have SuperChargers spaced for current cars within 6 months of first delivery. A 600km battery would allow Melb-Syd with one stop for what Google says is a 9.5 hour drive. I truly would not want more battery than that.

No news on the Sydney lease?

If they did sign on the dotted line, how long do people think before it could be functional - 30 days for enough of a fitout to have a launch? - surely the venue wouldn't be where they have a launch anyway, so it just needs to be capable of servicing a few cars and preparing a heap more?

- - - Updated - - -

Just reading about the possible new v6.0 functions for driver assist. What are the chances these features are already in the 'in production/transit cars?

Just to add to the speculation, I read elsewhere on the Forum that Tesla are ramping up deliveries in the lead up to the end of the third financial quarter.
Given the two week shutdown this quarter, it's likely that the numbers will be lower than normal and they are trying to minimize the impact on the share price that low production numbers may cause. Remember Tesla is still heavily shorted on NASDAQ.
That and the rumor that we have only just signed the lease on the Sydney Service Centre means they are not really ready to take delivery in volume.
I think we will see the remaining Signatures going into production early in the next quarter so in about 2 weeks time.
Hopefully Tesla have shipped those few early Signatures they made in August and they will arrive soon allowing for the Launch event to go ahead. :cool:

This is my current view on the odds of the month of launch and delivery of the rest of the already built Signatures:

The launch delivery (cars produced before the factory shutdown):

September: 0%
October: 30%
November: 40%
December: 25%
January: 2.5%
February: 2.5%

The Signatures built in the week or so after the factory re-opened:

September: 0%
October: 10%
November: 35%
December: 35%
January: 15%
February: 5%

Tesla in Australia?

Just to add to the speculation, I read elsewhere on the Forum that Tesla are ramping up deliveries in the lead up to the end of the third financial quarter....
That and the rumor that we have only just signed the lease on the Sydney Service Centre means they are not really ready to take delivery in volume.
I think we will see the remaining Signatures going into production early in the next quarter so in about 2 weeks time.
Hopefully Tesla have shipped those few early Signatures they made in August and they will arrive soon allowing for the Launch event to go ahead. :cool:

I'm going to be a little more optimistic and say we should see some in production (if they expose those) no later than end of next week as I suspect there is only a small number of localities that they can both produce and deliver to in the the USA - mostly just in CA. Deliveries that would make September cut off just won't be filling the whole pipeline .. With the time it takes for delivery September is going to be quiet..

I also hope we will see a lot go into production also. With the delivery latency they'll need to be moving here to push as many as they can out by end of December, so we should see a lot happening in Oct and November. Very little in December where they go back to focus on local.

November would mean a 3.5 month old car..... I REALLY hope you are wrong!
There is always a rush at the end of the quarter as far as Tesla is concerned.

Being delivered a pre-depreciated, previous spec car is now my primary concern. We have already missed out on choosing the headliner colour and by the time our cars are delivered it is highly likely that cars being delivered in other markets at the same time will have additional features.

What is going on now, cars built but gathering dust, is simply unacceptable.

Being delivered a pre-depreciated, previous spec car is now my primary concern. We have already missed out on choosing the headliner colour and by the time our cars are delivered it is highly likely that cars being delivered in other markets at the same time will have additional features.

What is going on now, cars built but gathering dust, is simply unacceptable.
++1. With a white interior and black Alcantara on the dash, it would have been a natural choice to go with the black headliner!!

I hope that our cars are at least prewired to take up future options.

I wonder if they will make up for lacking a browser and Homelink, in our tech package, despite charging the same for it as in the USA, whether they will add the Mobileye type functionality proposed here Speed Assist and Lane Departure Warning
I would regard that as great compensation!! Hopefully our vehicles are prewired...

Have Tesla stated no browser? That's a big deal and I didn't see any such disclaimer when I configured and ordered mine.