Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a July 2017 AP2 (with prepaid FSD during ordering) and MCU1, I’m OK with this and will likely jump on it when asked.

Our 100D range is plenty good for us, as is the performance, and we’re still frequently using the rear-facing seats. We also love opening the sunroof, so this is a win in our book.

Something I wonder about: When they say “all cameras” under security and AP2, does this mean they’re finally going to enable dash cam functionality for the AP2 cams that aren’t as color-capable as the AP2.5+ cams? Or does this mean they’ll replace the AP2 cams with AP2.5 cams? (Seems unlikely...)

Also, as much as I will be excited for the MCU upgrade, I sure as hell don’t want to be first in line. I want the tech who did 500 of them last month to do ours as his #501.

• Love
Reactions: scottf200
Looks like AP 2 and 2.5 cars w/ FSD are eligible for HW3 upgrades now.

Screenshot_20200302-162447.png

Reactions: wesley888
They do not need to replace the screen for the mcu change - from my understanding reading this forum.

I've seen it. Taking the screen off the rest of the MCU and putting a new one on takes as long as removing the MCU and putting a new one in. The $2500 is about the cost of the MCU1 repair with new screen and LTE upgrade. I predict that the norm will be a new screen for nearly all MCUs as they are swapped. With 200,000+ (estimated, less the '12-'14 ) of the MCU1 fleet of about 330,000 being eligible for this upgrade, they are going to be too busy swapping MCUs to break them down and replace the screen. Nope, I don't think you need to worry about whether you get a new screen. Likely will get a better screen too.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D