Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have mcu1 but honestly don't have freezing or skipping issues at all. My MCU is slow, obviously, and the web browser simply doesn't work, but everything else is usable.

I wonder why others have a hard time and mine is fine. I use it daily and am not ignorant- I use it to its fullest all the time. It's just solid usually.
It is odd how some have problems and others don't. We currently have MCU1 and MCU2 cars but don't see any issues others have reported above.

Reactions: drklain
I also have mcu1 but honestly don't have freezing or skipping issues at all. My MCU is slow, obviously, and the web browser simply doesn't work, but everything else is usable.

I wonder why others have a hard time and mine is fine. I use it daily and am not ignorant- I use it to its fullest all the time. It's just solid usually.

Agree. I have no complaints. It’s a little slow/choppy now and then but I’m never exasperated with it like so many here seem to be. It just works.

Good to know most people aren't having issues. What about Version 9 in general? Is it as horrible as I've heard? I like having a functional browser. I use it mainly to check to see how TSLA is doing on my to work. It also works well for checking the weather forecast.

Another vote here, MCU1 might be on the slow side but it’s still quite functional and I don’t have issues with it crashing or being unstable. And I’ve been installing every update offered.

Sounds like a Version 9 issue. My MCU is working fine on Version 8. I can't believe they haven't fixed Version 9 for S and X yet. We shouldn't have to spend money on a new MCU for our UI to work properly. That's ridiculous.

I think we focus too much on particular versions as the root cause for some problems.

Waiting for a general fix for problems on selected vehicles when many others of a similar age/config. just don't see the same problems is ultimately futile.

Tesla don't need to 'fix' V9 for S and X, it is already working just fine.

It would make more sense to focus on why those with problems have those problems, but I agree it is not so easy to do that while the mantra remains that some sort of mythical general fix is going to roll out one day...

• Disagree
Reactions: KArnold
We know that some things slow the MCU down:

- Displaying the map (which unfortunately is always displayed unless you go to sketchpad) increases the CPU load but does not, in and of itself, appear to cause the problems some people experience.
- Having a long list of "previous destinations" in the nav system appears to be a culprit that we've known about for several years. It appears to make things run more slowly, but we don't know why. Clearing out your previous nav history and keeping it down to 20 items or less appears to solve that issue.
- Some have theorized that USB sticks with large files, numbers of files cause a problem, but others report no issue.
- Some have reported that displaying the map in satellite view mode (vice the map) really loads things down and can bring it to a crawl, especially if zoomed out and covering many tiles.
- some have theorized that showing the rear camera video slows things down, but this is not confirmed.
- putting the car in sentry mode appears to slow things down as the car is trying to write files to a USB (even though it doesn't actually write anything the way it does on later cars).

I've got an MCU1 car and have seen no glitchyness or stuttering and feel my MCU is very useable and reliable.

Good to know most people aren't having issues. What about Version 9 in general? Is it as horrible as I've heard? I like having a functional browser. I use it mainly to check to see how TSLA is doing on my to work. It also works well for checking the weather forecast.

So the browser is a mixed experience for me. There are definitely improvements but in my experience it will easily stall on sites such as Waze.
But when just using it to read a review or longer article, it definitely works well and is way more comfortable than the small iphone’s display.

I’m very happy with v9, but to be honest, where I used to keep Waze on the browser always on in v8, I stopped now completely using it on v9. Anyway, the alert prompt was usually too late or not noticed, so not missing much. I simply use it on my iPhone before taking the road to quickly check on road conditions.

MCU1 here in my 2018 P100D. I don't have audio issues either, although I do have occasional homelink failures. I don't use the web browser. My biggest complaint is that the voice command only works 50% of the time with my phone. I don't know if thats an MCU1 problem or not, but its frustrating and dangerous.

I never had crashing MCU until 2019.8.x but have not had it since 2019.12.1.1 (only been a few days though)

...My biggest complaint is that the voice command only works 50% of the time with my phone...

This. I assume this is the case for everyone on MCU1 and that MCU2 does not have these problems. It has been for me over two MCU1s.

And here I was thinking it was just lucky old me that didn't have MCU1 problems. Thanks to all who posted their MCU is also okay. I was feeling so lonely .

Also, the web browser was unusable by my standards of speed and compatibility in v8. And as of v9 2019.12.1.2 it still benchmarks at half speed and is only negligibly more comparable. I realize some have a lower bar, but I long for an upgrade.

Last edited: