Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's an interesting problem (the software update) I hadn't thought of. Couldn't you go do it at Starbucks or McDonalds on their wifi instead? Or while you're parked anywhere where the car has internet for longer than 40 minutes? Seems to be how long those updates take me.
Captive portals do not work with a Tesla. The car immediately tries to fetch a few websites via shell script and if that doesn’t work it disconnects.

I can leave my tethering phone in my car, which is what I do sometime, but this is a high break in area so I don’t like leaving my car alone with a phone in it.

We have a Model S MCU1 and a Model 3. The Model 3 can finish downloading over 5GHz Wi-Fi in about 5 minutes. 10 at the most. The Model S takes almost a half hour to do the download and then another half hour to 45 minutes to verify the update before the alarm clock shows up.

So yeah one of us can easily get updates by tethering on the way to work. The other one circles around a parking lot if it looks like it’s still downloading because shifting into reverse disconnects the Wi-Fi.

AP1 was left on in the wicker basket on the steps of a nearby orphanage.

Ouch! Lol.

I'd say AP2+ is the latest generation iPhone with Face ID, multiple cameras, OLED, etc., Whereas AP1 is a good old iPhone 5. It can't do any of the cool new stuff, but what it can do (make phone calls, send text messages, check emails) it does well. It just works.

Captive portals do not work with a Tesla. The car immediately tries to fetch a few websites via shell script and if that doesn’t work it disconnects.

I can leave my tethering phone in my car, which is what I do sometime, but this is a high break in area so I don’t like leaving my car alone with a phone in it.

We have a Model S MCU1 and a Model 3. The Model 3 can finish downloading over 5GHz Wi-Fi in about 5 minutes. 10 at the most. The Model S takes almost a half hour to do the download and then another half hour to 45 minutes to verify the update before the alarm clock shows up.

So yeah one of us can easily get updates by tethering on the way to work. The other one circles around a parking lot if it looks like it’s still downloading because shifting into reverse disconnects the Wi-Fi.
Mine will update on LTE. Did it last week while shopping. 40 mins.

Mine will update on LTE. Did it last week while shopping. 40 mins.
I’ve never received an update over LTE except when pushed. It’s always the day after a major update push I will tether and it suddenly starts downloading hundreds of megabytes.

Certain critical updates get pushed over LTE. The 2018.8.x updates close some rooting holes.

Other than that, they’ve been pretty stingy with LTE and don’t set the “download over LTE” date to anything in the next decade.

Was just updated to 2019.12.1.1 and was told that this would solve the crashing McU1 issues, stuttering audio, etc.

Well, guess what? It didn’t do squat to fix any of it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

This is why I’m upset about having an MCU1 car that missed the cutoff by a day. I now have a car that’s just over a year old and is randomly crashing while driving, the audio sounds like garbage when driving, homelink will occasionally stop working, text display issues, and on and on and on.

Get the retrofits going all ready. V9 continues to be a freaking bad dream.

Was just updated to 2019.12.1.1 and was told that this would solve the crashing McU1 issues, stuttering audio, etc.

Well, guess what? It didn’t do squat to fix any of it. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

This is why I’m upset about having an MCU1 car that missed the cutoff by a day. I now have a car that’s just over a year old and is randomly crashing while driving, the audio sounds like garbage when driving, homelink will occasionally stop working, text display issues, and on and on and on.

Get the retrofits going all ready. V9 continues to be a freaking bad dream.

There are thousands like you in the same boat with all the MCU/1 issues.

Here hoping the retrofit comes out by end of year. Anything below $3000 will be good for me.

Reactions: bollar and StarLog

I think MCU2 has most/all of those issues too. They’re just faster.

I also have mcu1 but honestly don't have freezing or skipping issues at all. My MCU is slow, obviously, and the web browser simply doesn't work, but everything else is usable.

I wonder why others have a hard time and mine is fine. I use it daily and am not ignorant- I use it to its fullest all the time. It's just solid usually.