Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd pay $1500 to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. Though I think I should get some kind of discount because I have the yellow-screen-of-death around the edges. So Telsa will have to replace the screen for free as soon as they get the new screens (hopefully this summer).

Not too sure they will give you a credit. They will swap out your Yellow display once the new ones are available. Then the retrofit will swap out everything once it becomes available. Just a guess on my part.

I am taking the my car for a MCU check up at the service center today. One issue are the yellow borders - I'll ask to have the screen replaced but there is more ... curious if anyone has found this strange correlation.

A week ago on Sunday 4/7/19 the MCU started rebooting frequently ... as in every 3-5 minutes. I must have had probably 7-9 reboots on a drive. Kinda makes the climate control tricky while it's rebooting frequently .... I tried removing the USB for dash cam, running different audio source (radio, slacker, phone), nav, no-nav, noa, not noa and these variations yielded identical outcomes. I parked the car at the destination of the drive and did the power off cycle. Waited 2-3 minutes, tapped the brakes. Everything was up. Started driving back and 3-5 min into the drive ....another reboot ... and a couple more on the way home.

Later it just got stuck in a reboot loop - blank screen, then the T logo, then blank screen, then T logo, etc. After about 3-4 of these it just went blank. So I thought, ok, that's it, it's kaput. Something changed - hardware failed, software changed in some way, or perhaps some data was corrupt someplace.

Tried calling Tesla support. Sunday, closed. F*

My home FW sends an 8am update of In/Out traffic for the past 24 hrs. I noticed two things: the car had received something on Sat 4/6/2019 or Sun 4/7/2019 before 8am. 15.3Mb of bits *sent to* the car. On Monday after 8AM I noticed that 58Mb were *sent to* the car.

So ... decided to reboot the MCU by doing the 2 finger salute on the wheel. The T came on ... booted OK.... and .... has been working without any issues since then.

When the MCU booted I called Tesla Support. I had told them what happened the previous day. They said my car was working great and there were no signs of any reboots or trouble with the MCU the prior day (wtf?) No, they said, everything is "green" and working great.

My working theory is that something went to the car on Sat->Sun that broke the MCU on Sunday and something went to the car Sun->Mon that fixed it. Skipping the facts that the MCU appeared to be kaput on Sunday (blank screen after the T) the car still received something on Sun->Mon night and somehow fixed it.

Thoughts ?

I wrote this in the context of asking for an MCU upgrade today too. Stay tuned.

The reboot of the MCU/1 are a common occurrence with the 2019.8.x and 2019.12 updates. They are aware of them. When you get a reboot, always do a Bug Report as those logs will give them sufficient data. I've been working with them for the past two weeks on the reboot, doing multiple Bug Reports for them every time it reboots. Two ways to do a Bug Report - Use the voice command and say "Bug Report <description>", or Tap+Hold the Car icon on the bottom left of the screen until you see "Thank you for submitting Feedback", on your instrument cluster. Both send a bug report.

My MCU was becoming super sluggish with constant lockups and even the trip and energy meters had quit working. I took it to my local service center and discussed it with a tech. He suggested a full reset to factory settings and completely reset everything in the car. He did that and that seems to have fixed my problems.

Sluggist is a problem of all the new capabilities (DashCam + Sentry Mode) since 2018.50.x. Either further code optimization can fix some of this while we wait for the MCU/2 retrofit program to start.

Reactions: StarLog
I have a 11/2017 build MS 100D with AP2.5 and MC1. About a week ago I upgraded to 2019.8.x. I have been using the dashcam for months prior with no reboot issues.

As soon as I upgraded to 2019.8.x, I started getting reboots (about one every day). I've also sporadically lost all sound (directionals, alert tones, and radio) requiring a reboot to restore the sound. All this bugginess started with 2019.8.x and I for me, it does not seem related to dashcam, but I have not tried turning it off.

I believe the reboots are related to 2019.8.x and not to the dashcam. I also have been experience random MCU reboots but I do not use the daschcam function (I currently have a 3rd party dashcam installed). Also have AP2.5 and MCU1.

When I called tech support, they told me the current firmwares of 2019.8.x have had reported bugs related to random reboots and that fixes are in the works. But I don't necessarily trust tech support to have the most up-to-date info.

Not too sure they will give you a credit. They will swap out your Yellow display once the new ones are available. Then the retrofit will swap out everything once it becomes available. Just a guess on my part.

I imagine they are making the manufacturer eat the cost of the replacements so not much chance of a credit, but can't hurt to ask...

I believe the reboots are related to 2019.8.x and not to the dashcam. I also have been experience random MCU reboots but I do not use the daschcam function (I currently have a 3rd party dashcam installed). Also have AP2.5 and MCU1.

When I called tech support, they told me the current firmwares of 2019.8.x have had reported bugs related to random reboots and that fixes are in the works. But I don't necessarily trust tech support to have the most up-to-date info.
2016 75D AP2, MCU1 2019.8.5 obviously no dashcam. Zero reboots.

Perhaps a partial labor/labour credit would be possible since some of the work of replacing screen is the same as replacing MCU.

I don't disagree with the logic, but I suspect anything like this will be beyond the ability of the service centres to co-ordinate.

... unless of course it becomes advantageous to Tesla to resolve it that way... :)

Reactions: bollar
MS 100D 11/2017 build AP2.5 MCU1... Here’s a revised list of the bugs I'm experiencing since OTA 2018.8.x. I suspect much of this is due to race conditions in the code which is exacerbated by heavy processor loading of my car's MCU1. The MCU is simply being crushed by all the work it is being asked to do and as a result crashing... That’s my theory, anyway...

Bug list (all reported to Telsa repeatedly):
  1. Random Crash and Reboots (several times during a typical drive — about once every two hours)
  2. Lose of sound (radio, directionals, alerts, etc)
  3. Slacker stutters
  4. Backup camera shows footage from hours ago, instead of current view
  5. Gibberish on every button on every screen (this is far worse than gibberish caused by any prior firmware)
Tesla is checking my logs using timestamps I sent them for the crashes. I hope to hear back from them soon. Love the car, hate the bugs. As if to give me a synchronistic message... I live in South Florida. When I opened the driver's door this AM, I was thinking about the bugs, and a huge cockroach ran into the car! Hey, what's one more bug, right?

Last edited:

1. Random Crash and Reboots (several times during a typical drive — about once every two hours)
  3. Slacker stutters
  5. Gibberish on every button on every screen (this is far worse than gibberish caused by any prior firmware)
?

I also have a MS 100D (11/2017 build). I use the dashcam and sentry mode. I had the 4 of the 5 issues you mentioned (didn't have issues with backup camera). I am on firmware 2019.8.4 (didn't have issue prior with 2018.50.6).

After few reboots I did few brake + thumb wheels reset but this only reduced the frequency of the crash/reboots. I stopped using the dashcam (as I have another solution for that) but that didn't help.

However changed my USB drive config from two to one drive (I had one for music and one for dashcam) and created two partition, moved to a much faster USB drive in the process. This seems to have solved the random reboot but I still get the lost of sound after using sentry for multiple hours at the time (the car go to deeper sleep during that time) and streaming stutters (rarely however, could be connection issue now for slacker/in-tune) . The lost of all sound often require reboot to fix the sound but not always.

MCU1 AP2.0 2019.8.5 no reboot
But no dash cam, no sentry mode

MCU is slow as usual, web browser is not usible when map is running. It was slow day 1, but now seems even slower.
Sounds like my setup is the same as yours and I also have no issues with rebooting. But haven't noticed any MCU slowness. However I don't use the browser so maybe that's why. Doubt that I would pay for upgrade to MCU2 unless there's more benefit then browsing.

3. Slacker stutters
My 12/2017 build MS100D has all these same issues with 2019.8.4, except for the backup camera footage issue. I can tell when the MCU is getting ready to crash because all audio starts lagging. Once the turn signal and AP chimes get to about a 2-second delay, the MCU will crash and burn for a few minutes while rebooting. It's definitely a runaway process or memory leak. I suspect a memory leak though. I had none of these issues with my previous version, 2018.50.6 I think it was.

3. Slacker stutters
Exactly the same issues here on MCU1 2019.8.5.

It's MUCH worse if you use the textured/airphoto maps tho. Setting the map to plain makes the performance almost OK (but not good).

Where did people get the impression the cost to upgrade a MCU1 to MCU2 is $1500? After-warranty replacement cost for the MCU1 is $2700. Search for other posts on the subject of MCU cost. Remember, the MCU also incorporated the stereo, hence the high price tag.

Where did people get the impression the cost to upgrade a MCU1 to MCU2 is $1500? After-warranty replacement cost for the MCU1 is $2700. Search for other posts on the subject of MCU cost. Remember, the MCU also incorporated the stereo, hence the high price tag.

If you call the SC the price of the part is $1500, I assume that is where people are getting it from. However, that does not include labor or the IC2 you would also need to retrofit or the labor for that. My guess is it would be around $2500 - $3000 to retrofit maybe?

Reactions: arcus
If you call the SC the price of the part is $1500, I assume that is where people are getting it from. However, that does not include labor or the IC2 you would also need to retrofit or the labor for that. My guess is it would be around $2500 - $3000 to retrofit maybe?

Agree. $1500 is a pipe dream unless Tesla has a vested interest in compelling people to upgrade (which I just don’t see).

It’s cool that you find the user experience satisfactory. It’s simply tolerable at this point for me and I’m more than willing to pay for a MCU2 retrofit.

Between that and being able to download and stage a software update in 5 minutes instead of an hour, it all makes a big difference for me. (I live in an apartment in a high break in area so I literally sit in the car with a hotspot babysitting it to get updates).
that's an interesting problem (the software update) I hadn't thought of. Couldn't you go do it at Starbucks or McDonalds on their wifi instead? Or while you're parked anywhere where the car has internet for longer than 40 minutes? Seems to be how long those updates take me.