Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they sold FSD to some of these owners they're on the hook for delivering just that...although I don't think it will need a "new interior" at all.

No they are not. They can deliver air-cooled HW3 completely separate of the MCU and not upgrade the MCU at all for existing cars.

For a revised Model S/X they can replace the MCU/APE with a water-cooled new version and probably will.

So just to confirm - we can’t just buy the MCU2 and IC and install it ourselves?

Nope. The parts are restricted and not sold to customers, the required Toolbox service software is not available for use by customers, Tesla will not warranty the retrofit, and it'd be complicated even if you had the hardware and software.

Tesla ain't going to offer the retrofit. I'm super bummed too.

Nope. The parts are restricted and not sold to customers, the required Toolbox service software is not available for use by customers, Tesla will not warranty the retrofit, and it'd be complicated even if you had the hardware and software.

Tesla ain't going to offer the retrofit. I'm super bummed too.

Im sure they will offer it at some point.. keep the faith!

Im sure they will offer it at some point.. keep the faith!

Why? By which I mean two things: (1) Why are you so sure they will offer it, and (2) Why would they offer it; what commercial or business reason do they have? If your answer to both of those questions is "because Elon said they would", I have some harsh reality to serve you with respect to Tesla's track record on Elon's tweet-promises.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I don’t see any reason Tesla would invest the efforts in an MCU1-2 upgrade now. All new cars are MCU2, and fewer and fewer cars on the road are MCU1. Tesla would much rather us buy new cars than upgrade existing one.

If they charge too little ($1000), they won’t recover their cost. If they charge too much ($4000), not enough people will do it and they won’t recover their cost.

(1) Why are you so sure they will offer it, and (2) Why would they offer it; what commercial or business reason do they have? If your answer to both of those questions is "because Elon said they would", I have some harsh reality to serve you with respect to Tesla's track record on Elon's tweet-promises.

I think it's a moral issue. A lot of people made buying decisions based on Elon tweeting that it would be possible to upgrade to MCU2. They are also overloading the old cars with new crap software that the old MCUs can't handle. I don't care if Tesla loses money on every MCU upgrade, but they need to make it happen. **** Elon and his Twitter account. Maybe he should pay for the upgrades out of his own pocket.

I think it's a moral issue. A lot of people made buying decisions based on Elon tweeting that it would be possible to upgrade to MCU2. They are also overloading the old cars with new crap software that the old MCUs can't handle. I don't care if Tesla loses money on every MCU upgrade, but they need to make it happen. **** Elon and his Twitter account. Maybe he should pay for the upgrades out of his pocket.

Tesla and Musk certainly don't seem to operate under the constraints of morality though.

Tesla and Musk certainly don't seem to operate under the constraints of morality though.

Elon has rarely been accurate on time estimates. But he often comes through eventually. I just wish he would wait and state something WHEN it’s ready and not before.

As far as “morality” goes, I can’t think of any car company that’s any better.

Reactions: SucreTease
Yes the day after my car was built. March

I'm in the same boat as you. When I bought my inventory car one year ago, I was unaware that a new model year car could have anything old in it (MCU1 vs MCU2). My fault...yes.

I'm curious, besides response speed, browser functionality and ability to play games, what does MCU2 offer over MCU1 ?

Probably the biggest complaint I have about my '18 SP100D is the crappy voice command system. On average it takes me 3 or 4 attempts to "Call xxxxx" or "navigate to yyyy". I often end up pulling my phone out of my pocket or using the touch screen to enter navigate address. Both dangerous when driving. Would MCU2 improve this ?