Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 I’m excited about the dashcam and sentry mode. My front camera seems somewhat hazy. Is that how it should be? It’s is clearer outside in daylight but still looks less clear than the repeater cams. The windshield is clean. Thanks.
It shouldn't look like that. Can you see if there's any condensation or a smudge on the glass in front of the camera?

Reactions: Akikiki and croman
After upgrading from MCU1 to MCU2 I’m excited about the dashcam and sentry mode. My front camera seems somewhat hazy. Is that how it should be? It’s is clearer outside in daylight but still looks less clear than the repeater cams. The windshield is clean. Thanks.

No, it shouldn't. Do you have problems with AP not working as good as you think it should?

That looks similar to @islandbayy's. Speaking of which, did you get that resolved? Did your AP improve as a result?

Mine looks similar, first thing I noticed when I started playing around with dashcam and sentry yesterday. Not quite as bad as yours. I suspect it's ~4 years of offgassing film building up on the glass inside the camera housing, was considering giving this a try:

autopilot camera housing (removal)

Reactions: T3SLA90D
Mine looks similar, first thing I noticed when I started playing around with dashcam and sentry yesterday. Not quite as bad as yours. I suspect it's ~4 years of offgassing film building up on the glass inside the camera housing, was considering giving this a try:

autopilot camera housing (removal)

That was worth 20 minutes of effort. Before/after. Just wiped clean and polished with a microfiber cloth. Please ignore janky yard and pile of trash. ;)

736E7399-AE99-4F79-BD14-921BA54B4155.jpeg

B18E6F15-0193-42DF-8804-B6B441464012.jpeg

Same boat here, they said Tesla is working on a fix.
Apparently, HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade were supposed to only be installed together. Once HW3 is installed and configured to work with MCU1, attempting to upgrade to MCU2 later will fail because the firmware for MCU2 cannot be installed.

I (we) can only hope that whatever code is written to circumvent this will only be needed at the time of MCU2 installation and not a patch that has to continue through each OTA update.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
Thanks to everyone that has posted their experiences with upgrading to MCU2 and FSD. Reading this forum has been very helpful with figuring out common challenges that Tesla owners face. Own a 2017 August MX100D (CPO). MCU1/AP2.0 - no issues so far over an year of ownership (except for that one time when the 12V died which necessiated a tow truck to transfer car to the local SC and they replaced battery for no charge due to being under warranty) .
Love the car. Car came with EAP. Was on the sidelines for FSD since Elon kept pushing out when it was suposed to be feature complete. Finally gave in and bought FSD during the "special upgrade pricing" towards EoQ2. I initially sought an appointment 2 weeks out (mid-July) to have HW3 installed. Local SC (Tampa) rescheduled the appointment another 2 weeks (end of July) since parts wouldn't have been available so quickly.

While talking to the SA at the SC over the phone about pros of MCU1 v/s MCU2, i also ordered the infotainment upgrade with a new screen (btw SA actually suggested that i wait on MCU2 upgrade till MCU1 dies or close to end of warranty, which was a refreshing change compared to advice i have received from ICE dealership SA's with previous car's).

Due to this additional order, my appointment was rescheduled for August 19th. Got an email couple of days back saying the part has arrived (
MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.0
Can't wait!! Will keep everyone posted on how it goes and if there are any issues (hopefully not)

I just upgraded to MCU2 on my 2017 P100DL with HW2, and they mentioned when I checked it in that they don't replace the touchscreen anymore on certain installs and thus it would cost 10% less.

Thought I'd share to others, was a nice surprise - they said the screens are identical but I haven't looked that up to confirm or not, so here's hoping they didn't pull a fast one on me :p

image0.png

So I’ve got an appointment soon to upgrade to MCU 2 and HW3. My current screen has terrible yellowing around edges, but wasn’t worth doing anything about it since I assumed I would be getting a new screen with the upgrade. Are you saying it’s possible that I won’t?

• Informative
Reactions: Doctor X
Apparently, HW3 and the Infotainment upgrade were supposed to only be installed together. Once HW3 is installed and configured to work with MCU1, attempting to upgrade to MCU2 later will fail because the firmware for MCU2 cannot be installed.

I (we) can only hope that whatever code is written to circumvent this will only be needed at the time of MCU2 installation and not a patch that has to continue through each OTA update.

it seems the SC advisor would have known this and advised me when they installed, sounds like Tesla left him in the dark too.

Hmm, I live in Europe and the MCU2 upgrade is not available yet, however the owners who have purchased FSD are eligible to request the HW3.0 upgrade.

Currently I did the latter, next week I have an appointment to upgrade HW3.0. Is it wise to cancel this upgrade and postpone it until the MCU2 upgrade eventually takes place?

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I think so. I think you would be wise to pass for at least a while. It seems that the priority for MCU2 was offered to those folks that were waiting on FSD/HW3.0. And we have heard recently of a few, just a few people that was offered both MCU and FSD at the same time, and changed their mind and passed on MCU. They got FSD and now they want MCU2, and they are telling us Tesla has said, there's no MCU2 available for them. Sounds to me that when they got out of line, they lost their chance to get MCU2.

No one seems to know why the prioritized MCU2/FSD, but since they did do it in U.S. doesn't it make sense they would do the same thing in Europe? I don't know. But we see them follow their own patterns.

I think so. I think you would be wise to pass for at least a while. It seems that the priority for MCU2 was offered to those folks that were waiting on FSD/HW3.0. And we have heard recently of a few, just a few people that was offered both MCU and FSD at the same time, and changed their mind and passed on MCU. They got FSD and now they want MCU2, and they are telling us Tesla has said, there's no MCU2 available for them. Sounds to me that when they got out of line, they lost their chance to get MCU2.

No one seems to know why the prioritized MCU2/FSD, but since they did do it in U.S. doesn't it make sense they would do the same thing in Europe? I don't know. But we see them follow their own patterns.
Not really true for Europe. In june I made an appointment for HW3 + MCU2 upgrade. My SC (Möhlin/ Basel) told me they can only do the HW3 upgrade right now because of the lack of availability of MCU2 components, the MCU2 upgrade will be done later this year (may be in Q4).

Not really true for Europe. In june I made an appointment for HW3 + MCU2 upgrade. My SC (Möhlin/ Basel) told me they can only do the HW3 upgrade right now because of the lack of availability of MCU2 components, the MCU2 upgrade will be done later this year (may be in Q4).

Apart from that, I've also heared that the HW3.0 upgrade doesn't seem to work well together with MCU1? At least I've read some stories in this thread about a few owners complaining about a setback in performance of the MCU1 interface after upgrading to the HW3.0.

For me, reading all of these stories makes me a bit reluctant to proceed with the HW3.0 upgrade next week after all.

Thanks for the information @PatrickCH4313. I didn't even knew they are now expecting the MCU2 upgrade to be offered this year. The last news I've got was that it was still highly uncertain and might even be rolled out in 2021 for Europe.

@T3SLA90D That looks odd, but it could be washed out being in a relatively dark area with a bright image in the center of the field of view. Can you post a picture where the care is outdoors? It should not look hazy.
@T3SLA90D That looks odd, but it could be washed out being in a relatively dark area with a bright image in the center of the field of view. Can you post a picture where the care is outdoors? It should not look hazy.
Here are two pics outdoors. Still not crisp but better. I noticed it’s more hazy if the sun/light is shining on the windshield.

Attachments

• 1BC0A37F-6A09-47CA-880B-5D5BBF27B21E.jpeg
    1BC0A37F-6A09-47CA-880B-5D5BBF27B21E.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 2B087A4D-CB67-4AE8-9EB7-41FC555CA0CB.jpeg
    2B087A4D-CB67-4AE8-9EB7-41FC555CA0CB.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 49