Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s a software thing, not reliant on any additional hardware. Tesla could turn it on for you, but they probably won’t. I don’t have the Tech Package either. The mirrors in my 2014 Model S don’t dim. I’ve asked Tesla multiple times to turn that functionality on, but they refuse. It’s pretty annoying, when even the cheapest cars on the road have rear view mirror dimming of some sort. I’m sure that it’s just a matter of them selecting On or Off from a menu that they only have access to.
They should also call everyone that paid the for the tech package and offer them the money back?

Do we know for a fact that it's only software? It would seem that you would need hardware like GPS antennas for the navigation, or a different mirror structure for the dimming. I might be wrong. They may have even left out the wiring needed to connect those things. It could be quite a project to add it.
Tesla never said the reason they refused your money is because it's not upgradable.

Similar case to those who wanted to upgrade their batteries to a higher one. They did it once for 1 owner and refused to take any more money for a battery upgrade.

Similar to those who currently have AP1 and want to pay for AP1 software.

It's not about technical reasons. It's about Tesla refusing easy money even if it's just OTA.

It blows my mind that they don't just enable all the original things for free by now. I mean if you car has the hardware for it then just allow it. It doesn't cost them anything and the new cars are 100x better than anything 2012-2015 so its like you wont upgrade because your 2013 now has turn by turn nav or auto-dimming mirrors.

They should just be like "Thanks for supporting Tesla Model S for the last 10 years! Surprise your car is now unlocked and you have [fog lights, accent lights, tinted mirrors, naivation, 70 kWh pack, etc]!"
All I got to say is "Ha Ha" - this is Tesla, who takes stuff away, not gives stuff for free. Ask the people who recently bought cars and found FSD was removed, or performance "upgrade" removed, or free supercharging removed, even though that car did not go back to their (Tesla) ownership first.

But with that said, tell me which car company has done it (upgraded someones old car for free just to be nice to a loyal customer)...

I’m sure that it’s just a matter of them selecting On or Off from a menu that they only have access to.
Sure, and when you're at the bank depositing $100, all it takes is someone punching in 6 extra zeros for you to retire very comfortably. Come on guys, if you didn't pay for something, why would you expect it for free, just because it's next to free to enable? When you buy an Xbox or PS5. do you expect to get all games for free, because downloading them cost less than a penny worth of bandwidth? How about Apple App store or Google Play store? Either store could give you all the apps for free with just an On/Off menu, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to it or that they should just because you would not have paid for the app anyways.

Tesla. When the uncorked a bunch of existing cars to match new ones.
Just because some other kid gets something, doesn't mean you are entitled to it. Reminds of the protests when people Tesla customers ordered and received the cars they order at the price they ordered them, then threw a hissy fit over a price discount a couple of months later. I think a similar thing is now happening in China. How it it that those same people don't go demanding that Tesla take more of their money when prices go up?

Full disclosure, one of the Teslas I bought went down in price by more than $3,000 less than 2 months later. My no means did I feel entitled to a refund. I got the car I ordered for the price I agreed to pay.

They should just be like "Thanks for supporting Tesla Model S for the last 10 years! Surprise your car is now unlocked and you have [fog lights, accent lights, tinted mirrors, naivation, 70 kWh pack, etc]!"
Specific to your proposal: many are recent owners, who bought a used car. Should you then split the decision by "how long" they have been supporting Tesla?
As other mentioned, I'm happy with what we paid for. Of course I would be happy to get free things, but I'm not expecting this.
And in fact, we got a lot of "free" stuff over the years.

But with that said, tell me which car company has done it (upgraded someones old car for free just to be nice to a loyal customer)...
I recall that initially, the data connectivity was free for 4 years or something like that.
When that time came, nothing happened, and eventually, Tesla decided that all cars before a certain date got it for life, like ours.

Initially, the nav was based on a third party app, navigon I think, and was at some point completely rebuilt for what we have now, which by my book is so much beter (visual, features, speed, estimates accuracy).
Same for Voice, which was initially also a very basic one, with specific commands only.
Maybe a bit late, but we now have Text integration. It was not even there for years, but was added as an OTA.

Tesla never said the reason they refused your money is because it's not upgradable.

Similar case to those who wanted to upgrade their batteries to a higher one. They did it once for 1 owner and refused to take any more money for a battery upgrade.

Similar to those who currently have AP1 and want to pay for AP1 software.

It's not about technical reasons. It's about Tesla refusing easy money even if it's just OTA.

I never said Tesla refused my money. In fact they took it and give me an MCU2, which has all the features, because I already had the tech package.

The question wasn't would they do it, but what would it entail. I haven't seen any proof either way that it requires more new hardware, or does not. I do recall, back when the tech package was a thing, that there was some statement about not all cars having all of the hardware. Maybe it's just too much of a pain to search it out.

Additionally, service centers are slammed already. Now that yoke to round steering wheel replacements are also happening, they're even going to be more backlogged. I think it may be simply an admission they don't have enough service people. You can only do what you can do.

Do we know for a fact that it's only software? It would seem that you would need hardware like GPS antennas for the navigation, or a different mirror structure for the dimming. I might be wrong.
I might think it’s a hardware thing as mine does not have tech package but when I asked service to change my RH rear view mirror (as it was tangling when folded, while under warranty), they did complied and I instantly noticed it had photochromic function on it. Next I asked them to change LH mirror as well, as it did not functioned the way the new one now did. Sure enough they changed that side as well. Now I can’t be sure was it just a mistake (the change) or has this function just stopped working down on the road as I’m second owner?

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
Additionally, service centers are slammed already. Now that yoke to round steering wheel replacements are also happening, they're even going to be more backlogged. I think it may be simply an admission they don't have enough service people. You can only do what you can do.
LOL. Tesla made 66,000 S/X in 2022. They made 1,250,000 Model 3/Y. The service centers being overwhelmed has nothing to do with S/X cars at all.

Plus, the wheel replacement is $700 and not even available until March, so it's having no impact now, and will not cause a crush of people suddenly wanting it.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
LOL. Tesla made 66,000 S/X in 2022. They made 1,250,000 Model 3/Y. The service centers being overwhelmed has nothing to do with S/X cars at all.

Plus, the wheel replacement is $700 and not even available until March, so it's having no impact now, and will not cause a crush of people suddenly wanting it.

I guess you're probably right. A tempest in a teapot!

I never said Tesla refused my money. In fact they took it and give me an MCU2, which has all the features, because I already had the tech package...
Sorry that I was unclear.

I didn't mean "you" specificaly but a generic one that fits the scenario.

For example if I won the lottery and I might reply to the reporter: "When you won the lottery of course you are happy." I didn't mean that's how the reporter feels.

Reactions: henderrj
It blows my mind that they don't just enable all the original things for free by now. I mean if you car has the hardware for it then just allow it. It doesn't cost them anything and the new cars are 100x better than anything 2012-2015 so its like you wont upgrade because your 2013 now has turn by turn nav or auto-dimming mirrors.

It’s a way to get you to buy a new car.

If they want to sell me a new car, let me keep FUSC and FSD. I’m NEVER selling my FUSC car and FSD I paid for years ago, but still don’t -really- have, and is still a ways out before I can “fall asleep behind the wheel” which was the expectation Musk personally set. The FSD expectation is certainly not unique to me, but I think I use FUSC more than most.

If they want to sell me a new car, let me keep FUSC and FSD. I’m NEVER selling my FUSC car and FSD I paid for years ago, but still don’t -really- have, and is still a ways out before I can “fall asleep behind the wheel” which was the expectation Musk personally set. The FSD expectation is certainly not unique to me, but I think I use FUSC more than most.
And jump seats in the MS.

I can deal with losing FUSC. I'd be sad to see it go, but it's not a total dealbreaker anymore.

What is a dealbreaker is not being able to move FSD to my new car. I'd even accept just being able to transfer it one time to a new purchase.
Then again what do you do for all the people who bought a car, bought FSD (suckers) and then sold that car, and bought another Tesla, again with FSD?
Double dipped. They can't just remove it from the sold car and give it for free to the new car. I suppose they could refund the second purchase but that opens a whole other can of worms.

Retroactive refunds might work. Lower refund the longer you've had the beta....

Reactions: MTOman and KArnold
I recently got the MCU2 upgrade on my non-tech package 2013 S and when I picked it up it didn't have turn-by-turn navigation. When I brought it up to the service advisor before I drove off, he didn't know if it was possible. Are you aware of any other hardware requirements for getting the navigation added to a non-tech car?

Thanks and congrats on getting your car upgraded!

Just an update on my situation in case anyone was following...

This past Thursday I decided to open a service request to ask if turn-by-turn navigation could be added to my non-tech package '13 Model S 85. A mobile tech appointment was scheduled for the following Tuesday. A couple days later I got a message saying they'd need extra time to try and diagnose my concern remotely, so appointment was moved to Thursday. Cool, no problem.

On Sunday I got a call from the service center and they said they could get it activated remotely and I'd receive an over the air update in the next couple of days. Monday morning, I get in my car and the turn-by-turn is activated! No additional hardware was needed and they were able to turn it on remotely.