Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think in general this was poor future proofing by Tesla when they designed the MCU to begin with. Automotive tech can never keep pace with IT industry tech. The market just moves too quickly. The Tegra3 was over the hill even before the first Model S hit production. Even now, the Atom processor used in the MCU2 won't win any speed or processing power awards.

The MCU should've been designed so the wire harnesses/connectors were standardized from the start and separate from the processing unit. The actual brains of the unit (e.g. the CPU/storage/video) should've been a swapable board much like their HW3 computer supposedly is. More importantly, it should've been a user-serviceable component that customers could opt to purchase and change out on their own.

But I digress...
In all fairness, the MCU never had to be the most bleeding edge tech. This is what do many people miss. It just had to do it's job quickly and reliably. Quality is conformance to requirements. There are software improvements that Tesla makes that don't require any speed increase at all, but then there are others (like dash cam), that require large amounts of processing power. I'm a firm believer that there is a point where the MCU doesn't have to do everything and nor should it. But the stuff it does do, I want it done fast and the same every time without crashing.

Reactions: viper2ko
Technically, both ape3 and mcu2 are "plug and play", but you still need root access in order to change car configuration on the gateway to tell the car it has new hardware. That's hard to come by, so you can't just drop in hardware and think it'll work.

Can you point me to a thread discussing this? If it was just.a matter of updating my MCU, I’d do it in a heartbeat, and I’m pretty confident that my service center would update the config. I thought there was a bunch of other stuff to be done as well. IC, harnesses, etc. I’m in a 2017, hw2.5 S100d, so should be the easiest of them.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Can you point me to a thread discussing this? If it was just.a matter of updating my MCU, I’d do it in a heartbeat, and I’m pretty confident that my service center would update the config. I thought there was a bunch of other stuff to be done as well. IC, harnesses, etc. I’m in a 2017, hw2.5 S100d, so should be the easiest of them.
For better or worse your in it..... IF your service center really would do it then it's pretty easy for them. Toolbox has a function to copy out the old data from your existing MCU then they do the hardware swap of the MCU and the IC, or maybe you have to do this part, not sure how far they are bending for you. Once the hardware is in the gateway gets updated and the configs pushed on to the new MCU. I am probably missing a few things in here still but that's the long and short of it. If they do indeed perform the swap for you let us know! I'm sure just about everyone from this thread will be swarming them to get it done

28D65778-266C-4634-9062-89B34449AC9E.jpeg
I don't have a thread to point you to. I have an mcu2, ic2, tuner, and model S wiring harness on my floor though. Pretty sure I'm right.

They will not. Service center will not perform any changes where an MCU was not obtained from Tesla, ie: junkyard, wrecked car, etc.

Reactions: croman and thegruf
In all fairness, the MCU never had to be the most bleeding edge tech. This is what do many people miss. It just had to do it's job quickly and reliably. Quality is conformance to requirements. There are software improvements that Tesla makes that don't require any speed increase at all, but then there are others (like dash cam), that require large amounts of processing power. I'm a firm believer that there is a point where the MCU doesn't have to do everything and nor should it. But the stuff it does do, I want it done fast and the same every time without crashing.

No doubt power usages was also a consideration. Certainly emphasised on AP day.

Reactions: supratachophobia
That's a weird attitude, money is money, right?
-or is money from a mcu1 guy not worth as much?
Positive cash flow from selling; negative cash flow from support or investigating problems; or negative PR when things don't work and the owner doesn't cough up what changed and they get written up in articles.

It is not a straight forward as you try to make it.

Reactions: tomas
v6 was the fastest in my experience, every new release got slower. So while those may gave been just changes (not all improvements, especially v9), they definitely required more processing power every release. My guess is Tesla just went with web technologies, running a myriad of abstractions layers in exchange for quicker coding and cheaper source of labor (a lot more web programmers out there vs. embedded). I still have the original Microsoft Surface, with the exact same Tegra chip as MCU1, running with tighter thermal and power restrictions, but it runs smooth, with snappy UI, and oh, it can play Netflix or youtube just fine too. Of course it uses native optimized Windows RT apps, not web apps - still not bare metal embedded which can deliver even more performance.

Last edited:
That's a weird attitude, money is money, right?
-or is money from a mcu1 guy not worth as much?
Tesla likes to package things, so for example they will not sell you the Tegra module for MCU1, but will sell you a whole MCU1. So, you can absolutely buy an MCU2 from Tesla, but you may have to pay for a much larger package starting at $79,990 :p

Positive cash flow from selling; negative cash flow from support or investigating problems; or negative PR when things don't work and the owner doesn't cough up what changed and they get written up in articles.

It is not a straight forward as you try to make it.

Well then, tell my why Ford motors don't have a problem selling me parts for a focus if I own a mondeo?
-it is that straight forward, I have money and want to buy a part with partnumber xxxx.
Never ever had a problem with buying parts to whatever, even if I don't own a car that the part fits on.
For what the regular seller cares, it's my problem if I don't get it to fit where I want, hell I even could use it as an anker for my boat if I wanted to, and the seller still wouldn't care...

Tesla likes to package things, so for example they will not sell you the Tegra module for MCU1, but will sell you a whole MCU1. So, you can absolutely buy an MCU2 from Tesla, but you may have to pay for a much larger package starting at $79,990 :p

Ahh, but if I trade in my S, the package would get cheaper I hope:p

Reactions: StarLog
Well then, tell my why Ford motors don't have a problem selling me parts for a focus if I own a mondeo?
-it is that straight forward, I have money and want to buy a part with partnumber xxxx.
Never ever had a problem with buying parts to whatever, even if I don't own a car that the part fits on.
For what the regular seller cares, it's my problem if I don't get it to fit where I want, hell I even could use it as an anker for my boat if I wanted to, and the seller still wouldn't care...

Ahh, but if I trade in my S, the package would get cheaper I hope:p
Have you noticed how the internet media just loves to flog every Tesla crash especially if AP involved and fire especially if battery involved? You never see the headlines “Ford Fire!” or “Ford Crash!”

So, they’ve kept control over parts and configs and tried to limit DIY. Sometimes it’s a PITA, but it is easy to understand why they do it.

Reactions: Ken7 and SO16
Ford and the like generally have PLENTY of dealerships with service department to handle problems (and collect your money).

Tesla doesn't need to ADD to their service overload problems (selling more cars than they can handle in service).

That is a silly comparison IMO as they are WAY way different points in their business lifecycle/longevity. Tesla is still very young by comparison and could still fail or be forced to be bought out I supposed. Open your perception of the situation to where Tesla is at. HTH explain my perspective.

• Disagree
Reactions: nimrooz
Open your perception of the situation to where Tesla is at.

I guess that depends on where you live, here I have the same number of Ford dealerships as Tesla service centers, and If I where to guess Tesla sells about the same number of cars.
There is very little that goes on on the SC's, the 3 last times our model S was in need of a shop, Tesla service center outsourced the jobs to other "certified" Tesla shops, that do all kind of brands.
Only the regular check-up service was done at Tesla service center. Same thing when I hit a reindeer last year.
But I still don't understand why Tesla wouldn't let you buy whatever you want, as long as they don't have a shortage of the part...
And I don't understand why this would be a bad pr for Tesla, "dude tried to fit something in the car that wasn't meant for that car and it didn't work" Tesla could easily comment on that...
-and this brings me to the point in my question, is it bad pr for Ford if a guy buys something for a focus and tries to fit it in his mondeo?

You won’t, because they won’t sell it to you.

This is a rather bombastic claim, and several people are saying it.
-But, have any of you actually gone to a Tesla SC and said, "I need to buy partnumber xxxx" and taken out your wallets?

I guess in worst case scenario, I would go to any of the shops that are "certified Tesla mechanics" and bought it from them, possibly with a markup.